Author Topic: Hardware questions for new puter  (Read 8313 times)

2015-02-12, 19:26:18

Aldoren

• Active Users
    • View Profile
So, im buying a new computer and thought that perhaps someone on this forum got some experience with the issues im currently having.

I work as an Architect/3D-artist and use the software like Revit/Archicad and 3D-studio. For the last months i also been using Corona for all my work and will continue to do so once 1.0 comes out, i really love it.

Anyway. The setup im looking at has the following specs.

Intel Core i7-5960X
MSI GeForce GTX 750 1GB
Crucial DDR4 Ballistix Sport 32GB

Thing is, im not that super in to puters and the hardware inthis setup orgins from a "Gaming machine". However, reading around i get the feeling it would suit my needs and work well with Corona to. Anyone got any input, tips?

2015-02-12, 20:58:09
Reply #1

Aldoren

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Reply to self, sorry didnt see that there was an enitre area full of answers to this. Feel free to ignore :)

2015-02-12, 20:59:15
Reply #2

FrostKiwi

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • YouTube
So, im buying a new computer and thought that perhaps someone on this forum got some experience with the issues im currently having.

I work as an Architect/3D-artist and use the software like Revit/Archicad and 3D-studio. For the last months i also been using Corona for all my work and will continue to do so once 1.0 comes out, i really love it.

Anyway. The setup im looking at has the following specs.

Intel Core i7-5960X
MSI GeForce GTX 750 1GB

Thing is, im not that super in to puters and the hardware inthis setup orgins from a "Gaming machine". However, reading around i get the feeling it would suit my needs and work well with Corona to. Anyone got any input, tips?
First of all, what the hell is a puter?
As for your question:
Providing your budget allows this, this is the highest end CPU you can get and you will be a very happy person, however, a 5960x hovers around 1000$ and DDR4 is bullshit expensive, while currently providing no speed benefit over well clocked DDR4 RAM. You are looking at 350$ in the best case, to 500$ in the worst case scenario.
With your Mobo, you have effectivly already spent 1500$ and don't have either Graphics card or storage.
So in total you are looking at 2000$ in a worst case scenario. If your budget allows this, go for it.
Just beware, that you can get 80% of that performance at less than half the cost.
I'm 🐥 not 🥝, pls don't eat me ( ;  ;   )

2015-02-12, 21:24:42
Reply #3

Aldoren

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Thanks for reply. This is the entire spec. Partly in Swedish.

I get that it's a high end machine. I think computer parts is somewhat more expensive over here to. Converted to $ ill end up spending around 5000$

You mentioned 80%. What CPU should i be looking at? 

Corsair Obsidian 450D Midi Tower Svart
 Cooler Master G650M, 650W PSU
 Intel Core i7-5960X Extreme Edition
 Corsair H60 Hydro Series CPU Kylare
 ASUS X99-A, Socket 2011-3
 MSI GeForce GTX 750 1GB PhysX CUDA
 nVIDIA's Free 2 Play 150USD
 Kingston SSDNow V300 240GB 2.5" OEM
 Seagate Barracuda® 2TB
 Samsung DVD Writer, SH-224DB
 CM Storm Devastator - Gaming Gear Combo
 Samsung 24" LED SyncMaster S24D590P
 ASUS PCE-N53 11n N600 PCI-E Adapter

2015-02-12, 21:52:56
Reply #4

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
Converted to $ ill end up spending around 5000$

That's 4400 euros for 2000 euro workstation and 3 years old very average 6 bit A-FRC 24" PLS monitor (not worth more than 300 euro today).

This is the reason why you should always build your computer yourself (or atleast spec it, and have your friend or local shop build it, but it takes less than 2 hours and almost no skill to build computers today)

You mentioned 80%. What CPU should i be looking at? 

Overclocked 5820k/5930k can reach about 70perc. of overlocked 5960X in rendering. The performance is identical in workstation tasks.
5960X is for those who have the money to get the best.

And.... 'puter ? ;- ) It took me 2 seconds to get it but... ok.
Please follow my new Instagram for latest projects, tips&tricks, short video tutorials and free models
Behance  Probably best updated portfolio of my work
lysfaere.com Please check the new stuff!

2015-02-12, 21:53:19
Reply #5

FrostKiwi

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • YouTube
 Intel Core i7-5960X Extreme Edition
 Corsair H60 Hydro Series CPU Kylare
 ASUS X99-A, Socket 2011-3
 Seagate Barracuda® 2TB
 Samsung 24" LED SyncMaster S24D590P
5 Grand?! That can't be right, it's way to expensive. First of all, this list is wrong, if it's cost related and not well put together.
What you are buying is "CM Storm Devastator - Gaming Gear Combo"? A gaming mouse and Keyboard?
A Wireless networking Card?
 nVIDIA's Free 2 Play 150USD isn't even something you buy, it's a Game bundle you get VALUED at 150$, you dont pay it

You pay 5000$ and only get a Corasair H60?, as subpar AiO water cooler, that performs worse, than most air coolers...

Ok, I do understand the idea of buying premium and investing in buildquality but jesus h- effing christ, FIVE GRAND, The parts dont even sum up to 3000$, what happend to the other 2000$?
Could you link that computer sale, this seems wrong.
« Last Edit: 2015-02-12, 22:00:21 by Juraj_Talcik »

2015-02-12, 22:01:37
Reply #6

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
what happend to the other 2000$?

Fantastic business isn't it :- ) ?

Almost as good as BOXX. You pay 30 000 dollars, for 8 000 dollar workstation, and get dual Corsair i80 :- D But it's "professional" !

{sorry Saires I accidentally clicked modify on your message, I am idiot moderator who can't notice the new buttons...}
Please follow my new Instagram for latest projects, tips&tricks, short video tutorials and free models

2015-02-12, 22:23:42
Reply #7

FrostKiwi

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • YouTube
{sorry Saires I accidentally clicked modify on your message, I am idiot moderator who can't notice the new buttons...}
Deleted half my post and claimed it your own, I see how it is with you jelous mods :D

To sum this thread up, if this is a real deal, it's a scam, nothing more.
Do some research on your own and look up the prices for each part. If the sum you get is not within 100$ of the build, don't buy it.
If you have the budget, go for the 5960x, it's the best the indusrty has to offer, otherwise get the 5830k, it'S 80% of the power, but less than half the price.
Get a calculator and a bit of common sense.

2015-02-12, 22:32:28
Reply #8

Aldoren

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Mmm, yeah, well im one of thoose "Need a new computer" "Sort by price" "Pick expensive one". Stupid, yeah. But when you're not into all the stuff that you need  to know to make a good buy it just gets frustrating talking, or more like listening to to a seller... Anyway, similar setup with another CPU, pricetag 3679$. The other one actually came down to 4000$, calculated the $ to high the first time.

PC-box large
 SteelSeries QcK mousemat,
 Intel Core i7-5930K, Socket-LGA2011-3
 Cooler Master Seidon 120V v2 CPU Kylare
 ASUS X99-PRO, Socket 2011-3
 Crucial DDR4 2133MHz 32GB (4x8GB)
 Seagate Barracuda® 2TB
 Philips 27" LED G-Sync 272G5DYEB/00
 MS COA Win 8.1 Nordic

2015-02-12, 22:42:29
Reply #9

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
That's the same company I guess ? As has been said, it's very poorly put together and over-priced. And you don't need poor TN based gaming monitor. I suggest to stop looking at these premade sets altogether.

He're is some quick solution, that comes at 2000 dollars in price worth of parts, with links to Amazon, but you can find it in any local pc (e)-shop in your country.

http://pcfoo.com/2014/12/cg-workstation-the-pro-q4-2014/

2015-02-12, 22:53:56
Reply #10

FrostKiwi

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • YouTube
This seems fair and you still basicly buy premium stuff, you can trust. (still too much IMO, but you do buy good and reliable build quality)
If you want to cheap out and dont want to game, throw out the Graphicscard and get something very low end.
The SSD is optional aswell and costs 200 on it's own. Lastly, both cooling solutions are High end and cost both 100$, you can get the Hyper212 EVO for 25$ and get good value, since I presume you are not an overclocking expert.
All in all, you could slice 600$ and still get almost the same corona performance. (just as an option)

What ever you do, do NOT buy anything from that company you got these deals from, you posted eariler - ever.

edit: Why you would want a 750W PSU, is beyond me though O.o
« Last Edit: 2015-02-12, 22:57:23 by SairesArt »

2015-02-12, 23:01:32
Reply #11

Aldoren

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Well, that exact build is today, in Sweden, 2712$ (Not the same company). But as i said, parts is kinda expensive over here. Guess this link wont tell you that much considering it's mostly in Swedish, but thats how my basket looks anyway. 1$ is 8,40 Kr

Webhallen varukorg

2015-02-12, 23:10:57
Reply #12

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
This seems fair and you still basicly buy premium stuff, you can trust. (still too much IMO, but you do buy good and reliable build quality)
If you want to cheap out and dont want to game, throw out the Graphicscard and get something very low end.
The SSD is optional aswell and costs 200 on it's own. Lastly, both cooling solutions are High end and cost both 100$, you can get the Hyper212 EVO for 25$ and get good value, since I presume you are not an overclocking expert.
All in all, you could slice 600$ and still get almost the same corona performance. (just as an option)

What ever you do, do NOT buy anything from that company you got these deals from, you posted eariler - ever.

edit: Why you would want a 750W PSU, is beyond me though O.o

Yes it could be tweaked, but I can't be bothered to write unique workstation each time in post :- ) And Dimitrious know his stuff a lot, so these are his personal recommendations based on particular budget.

Overclocking today is based purely on sillicon lottery, what sort of chip you will get. It requires no skill, and for the past 2 years, UEFI versions of all major players (Asus, MSI, Gigabyte...) offer one-click overclocking that works.
Therefore it makes no reason to compromise in cooler, every user is capable of running his CPU at fullest capacity.

750W is actually reasonable choice if you want to run CPU at 4.4+ GHz and fully use factory-clocked GPUs like Asus STRIX (970/980), which consume 300W at full power. So does overclocked CPU. Otherwise it can fit in 500 +/- W but,
it often makes sense to get some leeway for additional overhead.

If you don't plan on any gaming, or GPU focused tasks (like other renderers ;- ) or accelerating OpenCL/Cuda apps like Adobe AE when computing lots of footage), even much cheaper GTX750 goes.

Same way can be 512GB SSD swapped for 256.

Also mind that Dimitris suggester "basic" (it's not basic ;- ) ) Asus-A not, Asus-Deluxe.