Author Topic: Warehouse conversion  (Read 41680 times)

2015-01-29, 10:58:39

daniel.reutersward

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hi,

I wanted to do a warehouse conversion for a long time so here is my latest project called "Warehouse conversion".

2015-01-29, 11:37:39
Reply #1

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
You put your scene inside your scene so you can render while you render!

Looks great, I can imagine a herd of hipsters living in there. :)
Marcin Miodek | chaos-corona.com
3D Support Team Lead - Corona | contact us

2015-01-29, 11:53:29
Reply #2

aldola

• Active Users
    • View Profile
really really nice!! did you manage burn and contrast from vfb or in post?
cheers

2015-01-29, 12:08:50
Reply #3

yagi

• Active Users
    • View Profile
front page stuff sir, u deserve the new gallery....i wonder what your raw renders look like ?

2015-01-29, 14:03:28
Reply #4

JakubCech

• Active Users
  • jakubcech.net
    • View Profile
    • jakubcech
These are reaaly cool, very detailed and I love the scene in the scene hah!

2015-01-29, 14:42:31
Reply #5

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
Looks very good, no crit from me !

Like the post-production, something I've been doing lately a lot, I call it crush&lift = )
Please follow my new Instagram for latest projects, tips&tricks, short video tutorials and free models
Behance  Probably best updated portfolio of my work
lysfaere.com Please check the new stuff!

2015-01-29, 17:21:48
Reply #6

Fibonacci

• Active Users
  • 3Dmanufaktura
    • View Profile
I like it ! Just only two observation...

The floor is lost the texture and characteristic. Sorry but for me it's too overexposed...

Another one. The glare on the monitor....The white never make any white glow effect if I have known good. Useally it's bluish, or when the sun's rays make it, then yellowish...Basicly you never see any white glow, haze..etc. The most white thing in the nature is the snow. That never make any white glowing...Maybe yust if mixing the bleu and the orange, but I think that never happen, just in some really special event...or in incident... ;)

Anyway I really like the coach and the lamps ! The colors and the reflection for those is absolutly my taste !

Should I know what was the light rig for the scenes ?

Thank you and all the best !
Holy Corona : the materials is the clue.

2015-01-29, 18:31:04
Reply #7

AnubisMe

• Active Users
    • View Profile

lol. A hipster clubhouse

2015-01-29, 19:44:23
Reply #8

daniel.reutersward

• Active Users
    • View Profile

Thanks! I don´t know if a herd would fit though :)

really really nice!! did you manage burn and contrast from vfb or in post?
cheers

Thank you! I managed that in post.

front page stuff sir, u deserve the new gallery....i wonder what your raw renders look like ?

Thanks! I can upload a raw render a little later so you can see.

These are reaaly cool, very detailed and I love the scene in the scene hah!

Thank you! :)
Looks very good, no crit from me !

Like the post-production, something I've been doing lately a lot, I call it crush&lift = )

Thank you! I tend to slightly change my post-production with every project, don´t know why :) How come you call it crush&lift?

I like it ! Just only two observation...

The floor is lost the texture and characteristic. Sorry but for me it's too overexposed...

Another one. The glare on the monitor....The white never make any white glow effect if I have known good. Useally it's bluish, or when the sun's rays make it, then yellowish...Basicly you never see any white glow, haze..etc. The most white thing in the nature is the snow. That never make any white glowing...Maybe yust if mixing the bleu and the orange, but I think that never happen, just in some really special event...or in incident... ;)

Anyway I really like the coach and the lamps ! The colors and the reflection for those is absolutly my taste !

Should I know what was the light rig for the scenes ?

Thank you and all the best !

Thank you for your feedback! Yes the floor got a bit overexposed, but I kind of liked it! :)

As light I used one HDRI, that´s all.

2015-01-29, 20:22:26
Reply #9

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
Thank you! I tend to slightly change my post-production with every project, don´t know why :) How come you call it crush&lift?

So do I :- ) I think many people do, I often seen Bertrand refer to it as well, just keeping it experimental.

Crushed blacks (loss of detail in top lower histogram spectrum) makes for great artistic impression, they enhance the dynamic contrast look at highly exposed image, but at same time, lifting them (slight 'toe' on lower part of curve, or off-set at levels adjustments) again once the loss of detail has been achieved, makes the whole image softer, closer to analogue film look. Doing both masks heavily the CGI origins, but is often slightly unwanted in commercial work, for it's antique look. It's nonetheless very attractive.
Please follow my new Instagram for latest projects, tips&tricks, short video tutorials and free models

2015-01-29, 20:44:05
Reply #10

JakubCech

• Active Users
  • jakubcech.net
    • View Profile
    • jakubcech
Actually I would love to say some critic over these ones - I can observe you shifted black value up, a lot (like 27RGB values) - which makes these images washed out a bit as there are no values touching pure black as would be natural in such scene.
I tried "fixing" this in histogram and found absolute bangers in these images! This is just my personal opinion/critic - maybe it was your intention.
Jakub

2015-01-29, 20:52:57
Reply #11

daniel.reutersward

• Active Users
    • View Profile

So do I :- ) I think many people do, I often seen Bertrand refer to it as well, just keeping it experimental.

Crushed blacks (loss of detail in top lower histogram spectrum) makes for great artistic impression, they enhance the dynamic contrast look at highly exposed image, but at same time, lifting them (slight 'toe' on lower part of curve, or off-set at levels adjustments) again once the loss of detail has been achieved, makes the whole image softer, closer to analogue film look. Doing both masks heavily the CGI origins, but is often slightly unwanted in commercial work, for it's antique look. It's nonetheless very attractive.

Yes, experimental was a good word :) It´s fun to experiment during post-processing!

Now I why you call it crush&lift! I agree that it masks the CGI in images pretty good but it´s not always wanted.

Actually I would love to say some critic over these ones - I can observe you shifted black value up, a lot (like 27RGB values) - which makes these images washed out a bit as there are no values touching pure black as would be natural in such scene.
I tried "fixing" this in histogram and found absolute bangers in these images! This is just my personal opinion/critic - maybe it was your intention.
Jakub

I actually never look at the histogram :) Can you elaborate what you mean about "absolute bangers"? I´m guessing that "absolute bangers" are not good? I´m always open for critic, I think that one can always improve their work.

2015-01-29, 21:02:51
Reply #12

JakubCech

• Active Users
  • jakubcech.net
    • View Profile
    • jakubcech
lol - I meant moving from bangers (meaning awesome images) to absolute bangers (absolute awesome images).
The thing is that black is shifted - this means that in case of these images, it was intentionally shifted by using levels. This is however in my opinion wrong as such images need to touch absolute blacks - otherwise they look washed. They do not need to look washed at your monitor if you are using low brightness or  for whatever reason, but may look washed at other monitors - when viewing at high brightness. This is my case as well - images look washed a bit any by "fixing" they come to look better because of displaying black as black, not grey (washed black).
Jakub
« Last Edit: 2015-01-29, 21:09:48 by JakubCech »

2015-01-29, 21:21:41
Reply #13

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
. This is however in my opinion wrong as such images need to touch absolute blacks

Artistic needs suddenly follow rules no one ever heard of ? Shifted/Lifted levels (particularly blacks) are just as common in color grading (of both analogue film and digital post alike) as following complete spectrum (which is far more suggested to avoid if someone needs rulebook instead of his own brain and taste). Why would it even technically be wrong ? It's deliberate choice of softer look.

The images look absolutely correct at normal calibration.

It's extremely popular and hipstery trend, but nonethless, very common.

http://noamkroll.com/why-the-milky-black-look-is-now-the-most-overused-technique-in-amateur-cinematography/

Why has this look become so popular? As we’ve already touched on, it is often associated with a more cinematic or filmic look as this technique softens up the image in the same way that certain types of older film stocks would.
« Last Edit: 2015-01-29, 21:30:56 by Juraj_Talcik »

2015-01-29, 21:30:24
Reply #14

daniel.reutersward

• Active Users
    • View Profile
lol - I meant moving from bangers (meaning awesome images) to absolute bangers (absolute awesome images).
The thing is that black is shifted - this means that in case of these images, it was intentionally shifted by using levels. This is however in my opinion wrong as such images need to touch absolute blacks - otherwise they look washed. They do not need to look washed at your monitor if you are using low brightness or  for whatever reason, but may look washed at other monitors - when viewing at high brightness. This is my case as well - images look washed a bit any by "fixing" they come to look better because of displaying black as black, not grey (washed black).
Jakub

I understand now! :) Yes it was intentionally shifted slightly and I see your point that for some maybe they look washed out. However I use calibrated monitors and they don´t look overly washed out, but at the end of the day everyone has different tastes :) Thanks for you feedback!