Author Topic: Warehouse conversion  (Read 41677 times)

2015-02-03, 18:32:01
Reply #60

Tetsuoo

• Active Users
    • View Profile
ok so I tried the tone-mapping method with 32bit EXR  (darker, but not too much). And it's pretty nice !!..even if I still don't know what to choose when saving the file: gamma 1.0 or 2,2, with good tone-mapping, both look nice in the end x)
...and then I realize that I'm just stuck with a 32bit file that I can't convert to jpg or png so I can't share it. Then I convert it to 8 bits. Then I have to tone-map again and the result is totally different of course, what a nightmare xDDD

2015-02-03, 18:39:37
Reply #61

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
Then I have to tone-map again

Photoshop makes this slightly un-obvious but this is the procedure:

CS6 (or older) --) HDR Toning; select method: "Exposure and Gamma" Leave at default to keep identical image

CC (newer ) ---) In settings (preferences) you can decide if you want to use 'HDR Toning' or 'CameraRaw'.
                           If you choose HDR Toning, same as above, choose Exposure and Gamma. If you have few layers, it will simply ask you to merge, say no. No need to select anything.

If you select 'CameraRaw' instead, go to 'Camera Calibration' tab, and choose "2010". The default is 2012, which will try to 'equilize histogram' by default for 32bit files. It doesn't know you don't want it, it's stupid thing from Adobe.

Gamma: 3dsMax 2013 and older : 1.0
              3dsMax 2014/2015: Automatic (which is 1.0 for 32bit OpenExr./Hdr.)

{note: The first time you use CameraRaw, it will clamp the image, so you will loose dynamic range, and cannot do actual tonemapping second time, even if you stay in 32bit mode. You will simply be in linear mode, with 32bit color depth, but with clamped file, so you might as well just go lower to non-linear 8/16bit and continue post-production there}
« Last Edit: 2015-02-03, 18:45:36 by Juraj_Talcik »
Please follow my new Instagram for latest projects, tips&tricks, short video tutorials and free models
Behance  Probably best updated portfolio of my work
lysfaere.com Please check the new stuff!

2015-02-03, 18:46:01
Reply #62

daniel.reutersward

• Active Users
    • View Profile
CC (newer ) ---) In settings (preferences) you can decide if you want to use 'HDR Toning' or 'CameraRaw'.
                           If you choose HDR Toning, same as above, choose Exposure and Gamma. If you have few layers, it will simply ask you to merge, say no. No need to select anything.

If you select 'CameraRaw' instead, go to 'Camera Calibration' tab, and choose "2010". The default is 2012, which will try to 'equilize histogram' by default for 32bit files. It doesn't know you don't want it, it's stupid thing from Adobe.

Exactly! I usually choose "Exposure and gamma". Switching Camera Calibration from 2012 to 2010 was new to me. Is that something you should do when opening Camera Raw with 32-bit exr-files? Or only when you switch from 32-bit to 16/8-bit?

2015-02-03, 18:48:55
Reply #63

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website

Exactly! I usually choose "Exposure and gamma". Switching Camera Calibration from 2012 to 2010 was new to me. Is that something you should do when opening Camera Raw with 32-bit exr-files? Or only when you switch from 32-bit to 16/8-bit?

You can do it always. You might have noticed when you open true linear file, it will equilize the histogram without asking you, depending on how dynamic your image is (if you used highlight clamping in corona or not).
Selecting 2010 method avoids this in 95perc. of cases. The difference is mostly controls, it's not big thing. The 2010 might be slightly more obvious for 3D because of its naming.
Please follow my new Instagram for latest projects, tips&tricks, short video tutorials and free models

2015-02-03, 18:54:31
Reply #64

daniel.reutersward

• Active Users
    • View Profile
You can do it always. You might have noticed when you open true linear file, it will equilize the histogram without asking you, depending on how dynamic your image is (if you used highlight clamping in corona or not).
Selecting 2010 method avoids this in 95perc. of cases. The difference is mostly controls, it's not big thing. The 2010 might be slightly more obvious for 3D because of its naming.

I have noticed that if you only open Camera Raw it changes your image slightly without even changing any parameters, but I didn´t know that it equalized the histogram. Next time I will try and change it to 2010, thanks!

2015-02-03, 18:59:39
Reply #65

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
Most people actually like what it does, it generally brightens it up a lot and pushes up contrast (also local contrast).
I've seen it generally being adopted to be part of workflow :- ) Open it up...like what you see ? Lottery.

2015-02-03, 19:07:32
Reply #66

daniel.reutersward

• Active Users
    • View Profile
It´s mostly the contrast I´ve seen changing and it hasn´t bother me much, more of a notice that something changed.

I tried switching now between 2012/2010 and I could clearly see how the highlights were clamped when using 2012, so it´s good to now how to change that :)

2015-02-03, 19:13:39
Reply #67

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website

I tried switching now between 2012/2010 and I could clearly see how the highlights were clamped when using 2012, so it´s good to now how to change that :)

Just to further comment on this, technically this isn't clamping yet. When opening linear file (in 32bit PS mode), the default 2012 will do its automatic adjustments, but you keep your dynamic range and can reverse correct it, or further tweak it.
The moment you save this changes, the layer is clamped. Even if you're still in 32bit mode.

When you change PS mode from 32bit to 16/8, and use CameraRaw instead of HDR Tonemapping, the mode only affects those visual changes, 2010 will keep it intact, but afterwards, it's clamped and even if you change PS mode back to 32bit, the layer is clamped under any condition and can't be reversed.

So the mode, doesn't affect clamping, the CameraRaw itself always does.

This is also important to keep in mind when using different tools together. For example CameraRaw + MagicBullet. If you need glows, use MagicBullet first (it keeps the file non-clamped and linear), and then CameraRaw.
« Last Edit: 2015-02-03, 19:18:55 by Juraj_Talcik »

2015-02-03, 19:19:23
Reply #68

daniel.reutersward

• Active Users
    • View Profile
It looked like the highlights were clamped but I understand that they were not now, thanks! :)

2015-02-11, 21:58:33
Reply #69

Tetsuoo

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hey thanks Juraj for clarifying ! Like most things, it's so simple when you actually KNOW about it ^^
I have CS6. I'm not familiar with Camera Raw but I've found out that it's possible to download it as a plugin from Adobe website, will have a look at that too.
...so maybe later I can be confused about using HDR Toning or Camera Raw haha xD I believe photographers use CamRaw a lot in Lightroom... For now 32 bits is another world for me to check on :)

2015-02-17, 10:46:24
Reply #70

nacho_grande

• Active Users
  • Industrial Designer & Interior Architect
    • View Profile
    • SARP DESIGN WORKSHOP
I used default settings as far as I remember and the render times were about 3-5 hours per image at 3600x2400 resolution.

Can I ask what is your system config?

2015-02-17, 20:57:57
Reply #71

daniel.reutersward

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Can I ask what is your system config?

Sure, I´m using 2x Xeon 2697 v3, 64gb ram and a Geforce 980 Gtx graphics card.
Hope that answers your question, otherwise I´ll will give you the complete spec.