Author Topic: Overclocking virgin needs gentle assistance (i7 965 X CPU + Rampage II X modo)  (Read 18408 times)

2014-12-15, 01:29:30
Reply #15

3dwannab

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Here's a rough diagram of my air flow.
1. Intake - Mid level Inside drive bay pointing vertical. (Would it be a good idea to rotate that fan pointing toward the back?) I think there's room to get a 150mm fan fitted vertically in there.
2. Intake - Low level
3 & 4. Exhaust
5. To be replaced with new cooling by CM.

The noise doesn't bother me within reason. Although, the GPU fans 1+2 are quite loud though in comparison to the 120mm's.

2014-12-15, 02:18:50
Reply #16

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
What is the logic rotating it horizontally ? Yes, set it vertical, pulling air inwards the end. Like this:

You can keep one or two. If you keep two, you can set them to be slowly rotating (<700-900RPM).
Please follow my new Instagram for latest projects, tips&tricks, short video tutorials and free models
Behance  Probably best updated portfolio of my work
lysfaere.com Please check the new stuff!

2014-12-15, 02:34:57
Reply #17

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
Regarding 3&4 exhaust, you might alternatively don't need those if you buy "reference design" GTX, which have exhaust outside of the case (as opposed to inside like the multi-fan solution from Asus, MSI, Gigabyte,...).
Please follow my new Instagram for latest projects, tips&tricks, short video tutorials and free models
Behance  Probably best updated portfolio of my work
lysfaere.com Please check the new stuff!

2014-12-15, 02:35:07
Reply #18

3dwannab

• Active Users
    • View Profile
The previous pic I posted showed the positions where they are now. That fan definatly needs to be rotated. 140 or 150mm fan for that position will work wonders for the air flow. :)

2014-12-15, 09:54:09
Reply #19

Ondra

• Administrator
  • Active Users
  • Turning coffee to features since 2009
    • View Profile
point the fan into the rear exhaust, NEVER into the PSU, if possible - I did it once, and when the CPU is under load, PSU draws in hot air and its fan speed+noise increases significantly
Rendering is magic.How to get minidumps for crashed/frozen 3ds Max | Sorry for short replies, brief responses = more time to develop Corona ;)

2014-12-15, 20:44:53
Reply #20

3dwannab

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Regarding 3&4 exhaust, you might alternatively don't need those if you buy "reference design" GTX, which have exhaust outside of the case (as opposed to inside like the multi-fan solution from Asus, MSI, Gigabyte,...).
I see what you mean. The heat gets dissipated out the back as opposed to back into the case which would case more heat overall. http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=GX-205-OK

As opposed to the ASUS one I was going to buy: http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=GX-352-AS.

Thanks for that.

point the fan into the rear exhaust, NEVER into the PSU, if possible - I did it once, and when the CPU is under load, PSU draws in hot air and its fan speed+noise increases significantly
Thanks, In this case the PSU is completely sealed inside and the air is drawn from the outside through a filter underneath. See here:

2014-12-16, 12:22:06
Reply #21

3dwannab

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Swapped the CPU fan around to this position (Pushing up).

The results are both around 7-13.5degC lower than before the post below.

Below is two tests for temps on my machine over a 10min period with a 10min lay period between test. I've tested with the case open and closed. I'll post my findings once I get my filthy hands on the new cooler. :]
test 1: Temp Before Upgrade - Temp With Cover 73.75Avg
test 2: Temp Before Upgrade - Temp Without Cover 59Avg

And some bench tests below. It comes 2nd in the list here to the much larger CM Nepton H110. The NH-D14 is 8°C hotter on the highest end Over-clocked bench test.

I know the fan is probably sucking in hotter air in this position next to the GPU but this is as good as I can do until I get thermal paste and the rest of the upgrade stuff.

2015-03-13, 22:52:52
Reply #22

3dwannab

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Just thought I'd follow up on results. And it worked out well. Defiantly was due to the old heat-sink not working correctly. I think the cooling plate may have been faulty out of the factory. Either that or the paste wasn't properly applied.

Anyway the results with the new H110 from Corsair. I used the benchmark scene found on this forum.

Stock @ 3.2Ghz (CPU: Max avg. temp 45dC)
Corona Renderer Alpha 4 benchmark scene
 Living room 100 passes
Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 965 @ 3.20GHz
Time: 0:6:48, Rays/s: 3,114,342

OC'd @ 3.7Ghz  (CPU: Max avg. temp 70dC)

Time: 0:6:28, Rays/s: 3,274,014

OC'd @ 3.9Ghz  (CPU: Max avg. temp 74dC)
Time: 0:5:59, Rays/s: 3,547,260

OC'd @ 4.0Ghz  (CPU: Max avg. temp 75dC)
Time: 0:5:30, Rays/s: 3,854,289

OC'd @ 4.160Ghz  (CPU: Max avg. temp 70dC)
Time: 0:5:19, Rays/s: 3,986,984

1min 30sec shaved of which isn't to shabby. The temps are much much better. The last OC'd @ 4.160Ghz had been OC'd for two days after the previous test at 4.0Ghz. I just wanted to see if was stable enough to post.

IMPORTANT:
If you do happen to purchase the H110 DO NOT USE a screwdriver like a youtuber with a million + subscribers tells you. You'll end up f******* up the backplate because it's only made for hand tightening. I got one sent to me as soon as I emailed them. I'm not fortunate to have an access panel to the back of the CPU so it means having to rip out the MB once again.. noice!!! :(

-------------------------------------

OC @ 4.16GHz (75degC).jpg
Shows the temps and CPU stress test pass from the Intel Processer Diagnostic tool.
- And some pics of the new setup (some show the old cooler).
New Noctua NF-F12 IndustrialPPC 3000RPM PWM 120mm High Performance Fans
- 970GTX GPU
- Notice the Silica Gel Pouches, these soak up any moisture that may be in your case.
« Last Edit: 2015-03-13, 23:07:16 by 3dwannab »