Author Topic: optimization and AA BUGS  (Read 4282 times)

2014-10-08, 14:06:01

Kavalskee

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hello
This is about Cinema4D Corona only (not max)
1000*1000 pic
2 hours render 574 pass
PH+HD
All set as default
I think here are huge problems with noise and AA
And it is the main problem in Corona for Cinema 4D right now
it's look like there is no AA at all

2014-10-08, 14:36:15
Reply #1

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
On contrary, there is very good AA, outside of superbright pixels, which is general rendering issue, not renderer.
By default, you're looking at linear, non-downsampled result, and those pixels thus can't be smoothed next to each other.

Solutions:

Glow(like VrayLensEffects): Not integrated yet, it's post effect, so it can also be done in PS (MagicBullet, ArionFX for PS,manual masking,etc..)
Tonemapping and Downsampling: Corona Internal resolution=2 (used to be default, but it's obviously memory hungry and people with small amount of ram (8GB) had issues. But you can still use it.
What this does, is clamps the highlights, and makes it possible to smooth the edges. You need Highlight compression >2 (not default 1.0=linear)

Regarding noise, that is more complicated I don't know how your scene is setup, your materials, and I only use Max :- ). But why did you switch to PT+PT for interior ?
« Last Edit: 2014-10-08, 14:40:08 by Juraj_Talcik »
Please follow my new Instagram for latest projects, tips&tricks, short video tutorials and free models
Behance  Probably best updated portfolio of my work
lysfaere.com Please check the new stuff!

2014-10-08, 23:12:46
Reply #2

Rhodesy

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Good tip re the clamping.

Juraj, do portals make a big difference in speed/quality? We don't have them in c4d version yet but I have encountered more severe issues trying to light a basement render only lit by a couple of sky lights. It wasn't very pass efficient and was struggling compared to vray. But I was thinking if only a small proportion of the rays are getting in then no wonder it's slow and I think that's where portals help, right?

Thanks

2014-10-08, 23:48:49
Reply #3

Kavalskee

• Active Users
    • View Profile
On contrary, there is very good AA, outside of superbright pixels, which is general rendering issue, not renderer.
By default, you're looking at linear, non-downsampled result, and those pixels thus can't be smoothed next to each other.

Solutions:

Glow(like VrayLensEffects): Not integrated yet, it's post effect, so it can also be done in PS (MagicBullet, ArionFX for PS,manual masking,etc..)
Tonemapping and Downsampling: Corona Internal resolution=2 (used to be default, but it's obviously memory hungry and people with small amount of ram (8GB) had issues. But you can still use it.
What this does, is clamps the highlights, and makes it possible to smooth the edges. You need Highlight compression >2 (not default 1.0=linear)

where did you saw in my post PT+PT?
I use all as default
white 200 200 200
Sky + SUN
nithing special
and i have noise after 2 hours render in extremly low res
As i wrote it is a c4d optimization problem no need to compare with alpha7 in max there are different

Regarding noise, that is more complicated I don't know how your scene is setup, your materials, and I only use Max :- ). But why did you switch to PT+PT for interior ?

2014-10-09, 00:11:15
Reply #4

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
Good tip re the clamping.

Juraj, do portals make a big difference in speed/quality? We don't have them in c4d version yet but I have encountered more severe issues trying to light a basement render only lit by a couple of sky lights. It wasn't very pass efficient and was struggling compared to vray. But I was thinking if only a small proportion of the rays are getting in then no wonder it's slow and I think that's where portals help, right?

Thanks

I used them only two times, but it was in scenarios where the windows were comparately small compared to house (like the Paris apartment). I don't think it made the passes go faster but it was cleaner in lesser passes. But I didn't do any exact comparison, so I can't tell you how much quantitatively was it better. But Michal Timko in this forum this and looked like good improvement.
Please follow my new Instagram for latest projects, tips&tricks, short video tutorials and free models
Behance  Probably best updated portfolio of my work
lysfaere.com Please check the new stuff!

2014-10-09, 12:54:05
Reply #5

Stan_But

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • https://www.behance.net/archdizs
Portals need always in rooms with poor lighting.
But if windows are huge - portals not need because it will a sort of the exterior scene.