Author Topic: Feature requests  (Read 68969 times)

2014-08-29, 13:44:19
Reply #15

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
-scatter inside of object (volume)
Marcin Miodek | chaos-corona.com
3D Support Team Lead - Corona | contact us

2014-08-29, 16:51:23
Reply #16

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
  • Let's move this topic, shall we?
    • View Profile
    • My Models
ehm, that is already implemented...

It does, but it is not very precise. I do not know is it because of the way random algorithms are designed or something else.  Try following numbers for instance:
scatter count: 10
box frequency: 0.3
sphere frequency: 0.2
cylinder frequency: 0.5

Above should you give results as follows: 10 objects scattered across surface of your choice, 3x boxes, 2x spheres and 5x cylinders. You will be surprised that numbers does not matched up. Checked on both, Halton and Congruent.

What would happen if you choose count: 1000 instead of 10?
I'm not Corona Team member. Everything i say, is my personal opinion only.
My Models | My Videos | My Pictures

2014-08-29, 22:24:04
Reply #17

CiroC

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio

2014-09-01, 10:41:52
Reply #18

crazyman

• Active Users
    • View Profile
ehm, that is already implemented...

It does, but it is not very precise. I do not know is it because of the way random algorithms are designed or something else.  Try following numbers for instance:
scatter count: 10

Above should you give results as follows: 10 objects scattered across surface of your choice, 3x boxes, 2x spheres and 5x cylinders. You will be surprised that numbers does not matched up. Checked on both, Halton and Congruent.

What would happen if you choose count: 1000 instead of 10?

Since I did not find a quick way to convert Corona Scatter object into anything where I can count object automatically, I lowered total to 100 and count it manually:

scatter count: 100

Results are:
30xBoxes
52xCylynders
18xSpheres

My guess is 1k will not going to be correct either.

2014-09-01, 11:56:53
Reply #19

Ondra

• Administrator
  • Active Users
  • Turning coffee to features since 2009
    • View Profile
ok, then it is probably working correctly - the object types are generated randomly - so the real percentages are also random. If you would change seed, you would get on average your input value, but values with different seeds can slightly differ.  It is done this way because it is simpler, and most times, the exact percentage cannot be achieved (e.g. if you would have 30.5% of one objects)
Rendering is magic.How to get minidumps for crashed/frozen 3ds Max | Sorry for short replies, brief responses = more time to develop Corona ;)

2014-09-01, 13:16:42
Reply #20

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
    • My Models
Yep, seems like perfectly normal probabilistic behavior.

2014-09-02, 13:17:04
Reply #21

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
    • My Models
It would be nice to have better selection of distribution and scattered objects directly from viewport. Right now, one have to press + sign, pick object, press + again, select another object and so on and so on. Too much mouse clicking.

2014-09-02, 13:47:40
Reply #22

Ludvik Koutny

• VIP
  • Active Users
  • Just another user
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
There's actually a trick not many people know, but many 3ds Max features and plugins rely on it.

Click the button to initialize picking session, then press H to open select by name dialog, select all the objects you want to add, and click pick :)

2014-09-02, 14:22:03
Reply #23

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
    • My Models
This trick is well known, but it's not needed here, because Corona Scatter itself has such funcionality. I'm talking about picking objects from viewport directly. It's useful when scene objects aren't named properly.

2014-09-02, 15:01:49
Reply #24

crazyman

• Active Users
    • View Profile
ok, then it is probably working correctly - the object types are generated randomly - so the real percentages are also random. If you would change seed, you would get on average your input value, but values with different seeds can slightly differ.  It is done this way because it is simpler, and most times, the exact percentage cannot be achieved (e.g. if you would have 30.5% of one objects)

OK then I rest my case :) but wait... During my last test, I did mention problems with selecting scattered object individually. Any way to address this issue? Or is it a way to select it?

2014-09-02, 15:07:55
Reply #25

cecofuli

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • www.francescolegrenzi.com
Me request. It's in FP, but not in MS

(*) possibility to delete by painting, the scattered objects. It's very useful!

2014-09-02, 18:03:18
Reply #26

zzubnik

• Active Users
    • View Profile
The ability to not have self-intersection.

2014-09-02, 22:05:28
Reply #27

Ludvik Koutny

• VIP
  • Active Users
  • Just another user
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
This trick is well known, but it's not needed here, because Corona Scatter itself has such funcionality. I'm talking about picking objects from viewport directly. It's useful when scene objects aren't named properly.

Yes, Multiscatter does that by doing some multi object picking session, but it often caused performance problems they have not been able to completely resolved yet. So it may come at a cost.

2014-09-06, 13:20:10
Reply #28

antanas

• Active Users
  • Hmm ...
    • View Profile
Hi, I agree with all requests posted above + I would suggest slope detection with different slope detection thresholds/settings for each object, rgb color rotation/scale variation maps (as the ones in multiscatter) and maybe even some height thresholds too + hand painting/scattering objects while considering those slope detection/threshold settings - well nothing special :)

Slope detection to make such http://thumbs.dreamstime.com/z/steep-rocky-mountain-slope-landscape-bucegi-mountains-romania-36037323.jpg things a breeze - ugly colors on that photo but it's good as an example :)
 Height thresholds + slope detection + variation maps to make something like this http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-bN0SvgeAn0Y/Uh4jQ97PfyI/AAAAAAAAAtM/Kh60KFH3t-0/s1600/yoho.jpg

Well maybe not a breeze but certainly much easier :) Of course one could always use some density/slope maps generated by world-machine/vue/GeoControl or something similar but still density map support is needed for that not to mention other software + some knowledge of its workings. Other method (density maps are still needed) - one could use Gugila's groundwiz's Terrain Map ( http://www.gugila.com/products_gw.php?ID=gw2 ) yet I don't know if it is already supported + that map can be a real ramchewer if baked, well at least in some cases. And another - something like that http://www.3dm3.com/tutorials/mount/ - still density maps are needed and I suspect you won't get scatterer viewport preview unless that procedural is baked which again can be quite ram consuming depending on the scene scale and details needed. 
 All those methods can work pretty well, given the support for density maps, still if possible It certainly could be way handier to have that slope detection directly inside corona scatter just to avoid distractions and unnecessary meddling with other soft, not to mention it would make Corona even more awesome :)

2014-10-04, 11:39:26
Reply #29

GRouslan

• Active Users
    • View Profile
+1 for coronapattern like vraypattern. I have forespack, railclone, vraypattern. Vrapattern's functionality and usability replaces both railclone's and forestpack's  in most cases and brings further they can't handle because of memory limit.