Author Topic: Volumetric/SSS rendering playground  (Read 135514 times)

2014-08-02, 18:44:47
Reply #105

Siahpoosh

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Siahpoosh.Net
I am getting good results with Volume SSS, but can´t get that difuse "refraction" look on the models, they are always looking like "Glass"...strange...

it is because your model is not caped , sss need a volume for detecting thickness . see this example :

2014-08-03, 19:53:53
Reply #106

kumodot

• Active Users
  • Corona ADDICTED and Evangelist
    • View Profile
    • Kumodot
  Thank you for your valuable Tip vrMan ! Nice example. My problem was not about capped solids, was about the lack of glossiness on refraction. It always made the inner volume looks like Fog, not like a Dense "medium"),using glossiness solved it...  But thanks anyway !

I still think that front scattering looks a bit strange, but i can´t figure out yet if it´s a problem with Shader setup, or the stage of SSS implementation. :) It´s incredible at it´s premiere. :)

I am getting good results with Volume SSS, but can´t get that difuse "refraction" look on the models, they are always looking like "Glass"...strange...

it is because your model is not caped , sss need a volume for detecting thickness . see this example :

Your Portuguese is worse than my english.
--------------------------------------------
3DGeneralist/Vfx Supervisor

2014-08-03, 20:17:50
Reply #107

Ludvik Koutny

• VIP
  • Active Users
  • Just another user
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
If you could post some photo or reference from other renderer of what you are trying to achieve, i could try to make it and post the scene here :)

2014-08-04, 05:10:01
Reply #108

kumodot

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Kumodot
Getting there. Getting there. :)

A friend made a Zbrush Sketch and i asked him to send me the Zbrush project to me, so i can test SSS with some cool Character. ;) Too bad i don´t have any UVW and any maps, i just put a Spherical map with some speckles, but i like the results ! :) With Glossiness/spec maps, and bumps, a peach pass (fur), it could be very nice ! where´s Corona Fur shader ? :( lol

2014-08-04, 10:46:31
Reply #109

Tanakov

• Active Users
  • Corona is faster than diarrhea
    • View Profile
    • https://www.behance.net/Gringott
Im so amazed by how SSS works with corona, its so simple, so good so understandable.

Keymaster will you marry me?
Using Corona since 2014-01-02
https://www.behance.net/Gringott

2014-08-04, 11:34:19
Reply #110

cecofuli

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • www.francescolegrenzi.com
If we look this thread, fur is on the 4th position

1: IR
2: Adaptivity
3: Better GI
4: Fur
5: DR

And, IMO, I agree about the previous points order.

2014-08-04, 15:19:26
Reply #111

kumodot

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Kumodot

Corona SSS/Volumetric, is a GREAT chance to popularize the engine among a TON of new kind of artists, the creature/Character Artists. IMO Adam and Ondra, had to take care with this area. (Of course they know this). But , Otherwise, i am afraid people will see corona "only" as a great ArchViz tool. Wich is good, but i like a lot when i saw non-archviz stuff on Corona. It spreads and open another world of possibilities with it, but people only will believe if we produce good material to SHOW it´s capabilities on this area.

Without having any public release with SSS embed is a huge downside for me. A Lot of friends never touched Corona, only because they are waiting for SSS. Mostly of them are producing images that receives FrontPage on Major CGi Portals from time to time, and had a great work using other renderers (Maxwell, Vray, etc)...

But they are very busy people, never stop, and it´s hard to convince someone to sign a forum, ask for a beta, and wait for aproval, to test something, and then they´ll need more procedures if they wants to put it on a Farm (Activations, etc...) Sometimes the beta activation mail takes some time to come for some.
     So, i think, that even not being such a big issue for anyone, to get a chance to test such great tool, it became an extra obstacle for spreading it easily.

Every friend i´ve presented the Corona Renderer,has loved it ! But sometimes it takes some time to convince people. Images works better than words, and without a public beta with SSS, we will have less images floating around... So, the beta Form needs to be more acessible and clear. IMO

This needs to be exposed, more and more,  to push people from their Confort-Vray-Zone...(Vray).

If you don´t agree with me, take a look around... There´s some few SSS examples over the forum or internet. Corona is an explosive tool, and i think it needs to take over the Cgi Foruns/groups with good images (Like our first big bang, with A4. ;)

2014-08-04, 20:02:19
Reply #112

Ondra

• Administrator
  • Active Users
  • Turning coffee to features since 2009
    • View Profile
Im so amazed by how SSS works with corona, its so simple, so good so understandable.

Keymaster will you marry me?

It was actually done by Jarda, but I'll tell him you are interested ;)
Rendering is magic.How to get minidumps for crashed/frozen 3ds Max | Sorry for short replies, brief responses = more time to develop Corona ;)

2014-08-04, 20:10:42
Reply #113

Bigguns

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I tried the new SSS.

I tried to make skin, since I'm  a character modeler, but it cannot replicate skin properly. It has no front scattering happening, only back scaterring. If I get some front scattering the diffuse map is diluted and you seen throught the thin part of the mesh ,etc.

For skin, there is no way around of a proper skin shader to mimic skin. That SSS is cool for juice, plastic toys etc, it's the equivalent of the translucency in the vray mtl, with the fog etc. but as Vray, it will need a proper skin shader and with an ID pass so that you can have different object that are calculated in the same lightmap and the look continuous, not feeling like 2 totally diffrent mesh.

What I would like to  have as a skin shader would be :

1- first layer to be refractive (and with control over the glossiness parameter too) so we can make it slightly refractive so when the hairs and beards let's say connect throught de skin we feel it fading into the skin.

2- a  3 layers SSS, with layers for the front scattering and one for the back scattering.

3- Also, having the possibility to be able to customise via layering system the skin shader would be.. AWESOME! so if one need 4 layers for the front scattering and 2 for the back scattering, he can customise it for his needs.. etc.. that would stands out from the other renderer and would be very awesome, to be able to stack as many as we want.

4- Also, the best is, using only a diffuse map in a diffuse slot, no need to have a diffuse map for each layer like the old Mr skin shader ( like having a  map lets say for the epidermia more yellowish, then an other one more redish etc.. that'snot good and old school) because what it does is diluting the diffuse color and the details .. and the redish layer is making the whole color more redish... so the best would be a slot where you put you diffuse there  and all the subsequent layer are controlled via flat color and they only affect the different SSS layer color into the shader, it do not affect the diffuse. I don't know if it's clear, if it's not I may try to show exemple.

5- Also, reflection of the skin is super important, so having a reflection layer with a ABC shader that we can adjust the multi reflection pole is a must .

Let me know what you think about that Keymaster :)  If you can do that, you'll have the best skin shader around..

2014-08-05, 01:51:30
Reply #114

lmikkelb

• Active Users
    • View Profile
planet of the apes Koba Wip, will try to finish this.:D kind of agree with Bigguns idea on multiple scattering levels, same with reflections, but i have no idea how komplicated it would be to implement:D,anyways the sss is cool,super fast ,and i guess its possible to do decent skin with this , will do some more test. thank you!  :D

2014-08-05, 10:24:12
Reply #115

Siahpoosh

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Siahpoosh.Net
Here is a layered skin test , blend them in photoshop using screen mode , i used CoronaVolumeMtl for all layers so i cant use texture for them :

EDIT , add another Test :

i dont understand why i got too much different result between volumetric in CoronaMtl and CoronaVolumeMtl . and another problem is when i set directionality to -0.9 i got very strange sss result and sometime with a lot of greenish .
« Last Edit: 2014-08-05, 14:06:06 by vrMan »

2014-08-05, 10:32:17
Reply #116

Ludvik Koutny

• VIP
  • Active Users
  • Just another user
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
I tried the new SSS.

I tried to make skin, since I'm  a character modeler, but it cannot replicate skin properly. It has no front scattering happening, only back scaterring. If I get some front scattering the diffuse map is diluted and you seen throught the thin part of the mesh ,etc.

For skin, there is no way around of a proper skin shader to mimic skin. That SSS is cool for juice, plastic toys etc, it's the equivalent of the translucency in the vray mtl, with the fog etc. but as Vray, it will need a proper skin shader and with an ID pass so that you can have different object that are calculated in the same lightmap and the look continuous, not feeling like 2 totally diffrent mesh.

What I would like to  have as a skin shader would be :

1- first layer to be refractive (and with control over the glossiness parameter too) so we can make it slightly refractive so when the hairs and beards let's say connect throught de skin we feel it fading into the skin.

2- a  3 layers SSS, with layers for the front scattering and one for the back scattering.

3- Also, having the possibility to be able to customise via layering system the skin shader would be.. AWESOME! so if one need 4 layers for the front scattering and 2 for the back scattering, he can customise it for his needs.. etc.. that would stands out from the other renderer and would be very awesome, to be able to stack as many as we want.

4- Also, the best is, using only a diffuse map in a diffuse slot, no need to have a diffuse map for each layer like the old Mr skin shader ( like having a  map lets say for the epidermia more yellowish, then an other one more redish etc.. that'snot good and old school) because what it does is diluting the diffuse color and the details .. and the redish layer is making the whole color more redish... so the best would be a slot where you put you diffuse there  and all the subsequent layer are controlled via flat color and they only affect the different SSS layer color into the shader, it do not affect the diffuse. I don't know if it's clear, if it's not I may try to show exemple.

5- Also, reflection of the skin is super important, so having a reflection layer with a ABC shader that we can adjust the multi reflection pole is a must .

Let me know what you think about that Keymaster :)  If you can do that, you'll have the best skin shader around..

You are exactly right. SSS component in CoronaMTL is just for stuff like juice, marble, wax, and so on. There will be special dedicated skin shader in future, like other renderers have.

2014-08-05, 16:26:16
Reply #117

Bigguns

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Great to hear thank's :)  Let me know when you guys have something to play with I would like to try it out and give feedback :)

2014-08-05, 22:02:27
Reply #118

marcotomaselli

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • My portfolio
Hi everybody, sorry if not the right place to ask this, but.. what i need to do to have the BETA with SSS option?

thanks!!!

I´m doing this scene (image attached) and it will be nice to test the sss for teeths and skin. (the model is from fabiomr)

Cya

marcotomaselli.com

2014-08-05, 22:14:25
Reply #119

Ludvik Koutny

• VIP
  • Active Users
  • Just another user
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio