Author Topic: Can anyone recommend a place to buy an expandable Renderfarm?  (Read 20203 times)

2014-07-31, 17:43:26
Reply #15

juang3d

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Thanks Cyrus3v!

Another question, does your calcs means that I can use that computer along 300hours or multiply the computers by 300 and get my animation within the hour for the same costs?

I don't think paying 250$ for rendering a project in your own farm is bad, using my own farm is less expensive, but this can become a support for moments where I need more computing power :)

Cheers.

2014-08-01, 00:10:02
Reply #16

CiroC

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
Exactly. Or you use one computer during 300 hours or you use 300 computers during 1 hour. What matters is the time you spent using the machine and the type of machine you are using.

As I mentioned sometimes it is cheaper using a lower machine because even if it takes a little bit longer you pay less.

2014-08-01, 10:02:58
Reply #17

juang3d

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Thanks Cyrus3v, i'll try it.:D

Cheers

2014-08-01, 11:08:26
Reply #18

CiroC

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio

2014-08-02, 19:13:22
Reply #19

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
If you only setup backburner in the network, the rendering nodes don't need to be licenced (for example 3dsMax).

No matter how I looked at the Amazon deal, I've never found it to be cheap at all if you want brute performance out of it, I don't really think that was the intention anyway.
Classic solutions like Rebus seemed to do the it cheaper and way more convenient, but I didn't bother to do the math too deeply.
Please follow my new Instagram for latest projects, tips&tricks, short video tutorials and free models
Behance  Probably best updated portfolio of my work
lysfaere.com Please check the new stuff!

2014-08-03, 22:20:31
Reply #20

CiroC

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
I don't use this system to render animations. Only when I need an urgent still image I use AWS and I can get an image for just $3 which I don't find expensive. I never quite understood how Rebus or other solutions work.

2014-08-04, 23:57:01
Reply #21

Rebus farm

• Active Users
    • View Profile
At Amazon you pay full hours - means if you are 3minutes over the limit you pay 57min for nothing.

Solutions like RebusFarm charge per second per node and ontop you pay only CPU usage only.
loading job - setup scene - preparing and more stuff happen via single Core.
Only that one Core is charged. Idle time is free!

Try to get techhelp from Amazon if you are in rush. You are doomed.
Even if you get a supporter on the phone he has no clue about 3d or Corona.
Renderfarms do.

There are many more advantages to use a real render service but it goes to far to explain them all.

@Cyrus3v
what hardware you used at Amazon to get 40min for 100 passes in 2592*1944px??

I did a test on my farm hardware node with the sample scene in 2592*1944px
I have 36minutes using 12core Xeon 2,4ghz
I doubt the hardware at EC2 performs that good comapring to my hardware
A few month back I tested EC2 and several hardware types. The performance I got was super bad.

2014-08-05, 09:13:21
Reply #22

CiroC

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
I used the a compute optimize instance, and just to make clear that I am not trying to sell anything or force someone to use this service. I just presented an alternative solution. Amazon EC2 is not a render farm, but at least for me it is much cheaper then a render farm. Not to mention there is GPU render if need.

2014-08-05, 11:10:45
Reply #23

juang3d

• Active Users
    • View Profile
QuakeMarine it depends.

There are times whe you cna't send the project to a far, because an NDA, but you can use Amazon.

Also you pay per hour, but in a job where you have to render 500frames at 1h/frame there is not much difference if you pay one hour more or lesss.

Also the renderfarms I tried usually reult more expensive than their calculators say.

For me the best is to have your own farm (and I want to offer mine commercially) but this could be a good extension of the farm in a rush moment IMHO.

Cheers.

2014-08-05, 11:40:57
Reply #24

Rebus farm

• Active Users
    • View Profile

Also the renderfarms I tried usually reult more expensive than their calculators say.

Cheers.

using Progressive sampler ist not possible to have more costs since you limit the costs before render starts ;-D
a big advantage of Corona and Rebus

for sure its better to use own hardware insteat EC2 or a renderfarm but if deadline is close you have no option

""Also you pay per hour, but in a job where you have to render 500frames at 1h/frame there is not much difference if you pay one hour more or less.""
there is - it doubble the costs or i not get your point

2014-08-05, 12:48:27
Reply #25

CiroC

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
QuakeMarine it depends.

There are times whe you cna't send the project to a far, because an NDA, but you can use Amazon.

Also you pay per hour, but in a job where you have to render 500frames at 1h/frame there is not much difference if you pay one hour more or lesss.

For me the best is to have your own farm (and I want to offer mine commercially) but this could be a good extension of the farm in a rush moment IMHO.

Cheers.

It happen the precisely the same thing with me. The calculator showed that I only needed €9 to render one image, but I end up paying €12.

2014-08-05, 17:08:42
Reply #26

Rebus farm

• Active Users
    • View Profile
using bucket mode it can be the case but in progressive

2014-08-06, 00:16:57
Reply #27

juang3d

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Why it does not happend using progressive?

If I render an animation I need the exact same number of passes for every frame, but all the frames are not completed in the same time, so... why is using progressive so awesome?

I never limit render by time, never! I need/want a quality, and that quality is a number of samples, or an specific amount of refinement with bucket mode.

Using the time limit is useful when you have to do some render test and you know you are going to be out of the office for X time, or you want to take a break of 10 minutes, you put a 10 minutes render and when it finishes... you know your break has finished hahaha

Cheers.

2014-08-06, 17:14:59
Reply #28

Rebus farm

• Active Users
    • View Profile
i see you understand the problem about animations and progressive

for still images is progressive working perfectly since we render all the image on many nodes and merge the result to one final image
PC A do 30 passes - B do 10 and C do 20 give you 60 passes at the end
the costs for A B C are the same since we charge the CPU "power" a node have not just the time per node
anyway

back to aniamtion - if using progressive you setup the costs perimage in advance aswell the maximal samples per image
maximal 100 passes with 100 images for 100 euro means 1 euro per image
1 euro equals X minutes rendertime on a node so i start the render with passes 100 and X minutes
now the catch
in best case you get all your images with 100 passes because the node need less time to complete the passes
you not pay 100 euro - you pay less!

other hand
you get be best possible passes per image for exact 100 euro
I am aware one image can have 99 passes and onother (more complex) image has 40 passes only
but atm we have no other soluion for that issue
if you you need to have all images the same passes/quality you need to use bucket render but here noone cane say for sure how many euro the render whould be

2014-08-08, 21:19:26
Reply #29

juang3d

• Active Users
    • View Profile
But this way you have some inconsistency in frames quality, so you can have a lot of noise in some part of the animation and no noise in some other.

With bucket render, it is as it's been in the past when you used to use mental ray vray and such render engines :) you can estimate the costs, more or less, but you are right, it's hard to get an excat estimation.

Cheers.