Author Topic: [ARCHIVE] Pre-1.0 Daily builds  (Read 157016 times)

2015-01-17, 23:42:32
Reply #795

daniel.reutersward

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Anyone has issue with sluggish material editor.. ? It feels rather much slower to me ( both Veronika and Peter said the same). It just..lags/freezes so much. Default mat ball/ 1 sample level only, and it stutters up to 20 seconds, and opening whole material editor can take minutes.

Any scene, any workstation. 2015 SP2

My material is extremely slow, well whole 3ds max is slow/freezing etc. This had made me crazy for 2 days now!! Tried with 2014 and that works "fast" as usual? And like you said Juraj, it´s almost impossible to use 2015 at all, it freezes for about 10min 3-4 times every hour! I´m using Sp3 btw...

I did not have this problem with A7.2 and I don´t want to go back either!

Edit: Now that I think a bit about it, I don´t recall having these slowdowns when I first got access to daily builds which I think was January 2nd build (still using Sp3).

2015-01-17, 23:43:28
Reply #796

pokoy

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Anyone has issue with sluggish material editor.. ? It feels rather much slower to me ( both Veronika and Peter said the same). It just..lags/freezes so much. Default mat ball/ 1 sample level only, and it stutters up to 20 seconds, and opening whole material editor can take minutes.

Any scene, any workstation. 2015 SP2

It's super slow even without rendered preview (although obviously tad faster). The moment I switch to Vray everything is instant again. No one else anything... ? Wondering which version to roll back to.... I don't want to go back to 7.2.

I know the pain...

I haven't tested any heavy scenes with the recent builds from January so I can't comment on the newer builds but it's something that I reported several times in this thread and on mantis. Will check on Monday with heavier scenes and report.

It was really slow (as in being unworkable) for many builds for me but got better in December, so let's hope this gets resolved.

EDIT
Seeing that you guys mention 2015 it may be something different actually, I am using 2014.

2015-01-18, 00:05:49
Reply #797

3dwannab

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I like the UI. But I'd like to make a suggestion.

Would it be possible to make the corona render rollouts sticky. So even if you scroll down it doesn't disappear to the top somewhere which means its always accessible and you don't have to do two actions to do one task (three if it means having to scroll back down). And if you right click on camera say it jumps you directly to camera rollout. This means you can have all rollouts open. Right click and that's it. Left click then just toggles each area on and off. Simples.

2015-01-18, 00:09:42
Reply #798

pokoy

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Since the UI is going to be redone: Can we have the 'ShowVFB' and 'Start Interactive' buttons moved to the very top so they're always visible, regardless of which section you show/hide? In my eyes they're independent from settings and should not be hidden.

2015-01-18, 01:27:21
Reply #799

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website

Will check on Monday with heavier scenes and report.

I tested even completely new scene, open mat editor, choose Corona as renderer, choose Corona Material. Any change to that single basic material, has noticeable freeze/delay. Add texture, and bum..bigger lags. Before (7.1) it took me 20 seconds to render beautifully clean level 12+ (sample). Now it takes me 20 seconds to update that preview window at sample 1. And like I mentioned, even disabling rendered preview, still noticeably lags. I switch to Vray, and material previews are instant, no matter how large almost. So it's definitely nothing to do with 3dsMax. I had SP2 since summer.
Please follow my new Instagram for latest projects, tips&tricks, short video tutorials and free models
Behance  Probably best updated portfolio of my work
lysfaere.com Please check the new stuff!

2015-01-18, 01:32:59
Reply #800

daniel.reutersward

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I tested even completely new scene, open mat editor, choose Corona as renderer, choose Corona Material. Any change to that single basic material, has noticeable freeze/delay. Add texture, and bum..bigger lags. Before (7.1) it took me 20 seconds to render beautifully clean level 12+ (sample). Now it takes me 20 seconds to update that preview window at sample 1. And like I mentioned, even disabling rendered preview, still noticeably lags. I switch to Vray, and material previews are instant, no matter how large almost. So it's definitely nothing to do with 3dsMax. I had SP2 since summer.

Yeah, I´ve tried with a 20+ million poly scene and only a shaderball, same freezing/slow behavior in both scenes. I always have rendered preview disabled. I don´t think it has anything to do with SP3 either.

2015-01-18, 02:10:01
Reply #801

Ondra

• Administrator
  • Active Users
  • Turning coffee to features since 2009
    • View Profile
New build:
  • testing new UI (yes, yet again!)
  • UHD cache UI reworked - there are now 2 presets, quality parameter was scaled from 0.02 to 1
Rendering is magic.How to get minidumps for crashed/frozen 3ds Max | Sorry for short replies, brief responses = more time to develop Corona ;)

2015-01-18, 03:03:54
Reply #802

juang3d

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I like both changes, I still have to test the UHD settings real effect over animation and static, and over render time, but so far I find it cool.

What I don't understand is why the progressive engine controls (time/passes) are in the main settings but the bucket engine settings are not in main settings or even in scene tab, for me bucket is the main engine because it feels faster, it was faster before with adaptative rendering, I'm not sure about it now, but I'm really used to it and I prefer it over progressive, I prefer that way of configuring the desired final quality.
I'm not saying it should be the default engine at all,  but I don't understand why this marginalization of these settings.

Cheers!

2015-01-18, 04:13:12
Reply #803

borisquezadaa

• Active Users
    • View Profile
UHD cache UI settings now simplified. Where can i find precomputation amount and maximal error meanings? the spinners goes from 0.01 to 999.

I'm feel more comfortable using this UI than last one.

What i do with Corona My Corona post of random stuff rendering
WARNING: English.dll still loading...

2015-01-18, 09:44:05
Reply #804

Polymax

• Active Users
  • CG Generalist
    • View Profile
    • maxkagirov.com
Selecting GI solvers in one tab and configure it to another ... at first glance not very comfortable. I mean first of all secondary solver.
Corona - the best rendering solution!

2015-01-18, 10:52:52
Reply #805

daniel.reutersward

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I find the new UI with tabs much easier and less confusing, I like it! :)

Any news what´s going to happen with CameraMod/VFB/ColorMap? Is ColorMap in VFB still going to be removed when CameraMod is enabled?

2015-01-18, 11:55:04
Reply #806

pokoy

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I hate to say this but this thread is a mess, it feels like a hijack of a hijacked thread for the last 20 pages now. For the sake of clarity, can't we have the last few pages splitted into separate threads like, for example:

- UI discussion
- Performance issues
- UHD implementation and controls
- VFB controls
- issues
- requests

and make it mandatory to add the db timestamp and max version to any issue report.
I think this would help all of us, devs and testers, to keep focused on the thing we really have something to say about.

2015-01-19, 02:25:35
Reply #807

Christa Noel

• Active Users
  • God bless us everyone
    • View Profile
    • dionch.studio
I'm agree with pokoy.

2015-01-19, 11:10:00
Reply #808

pokoy

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I didn't want to sound harsh, just wanted to help make the different things discussed here more focused and manageable. Hope it helps somehow, if you feel like it's not needed just continue with posting here. Maybe there are other suggestions to keep things cleaner.

I have created a thread to discuss the material editor performance issues I have since some time now, it may be related to the other reports from the last beta but I can't reproduce it here and it may actually have to do something with max 2015 and the latest build since both reporters encountered this with max 2015.

I'd be happy if some of you with larger scenes could contribute to the thread here, please read through my post so you know what I think seems to trigger the issue:
https://forum.corona-renderer.com/index.php/topic,6645.0.html

2015-01-19, 12:03:35
Reply #809

Ondra

• Administrator
  • Active Users
  • Turning coffee to features since 2009
    • View Profile
testing new stuff... if anyone with haswell or newer CPU has some time to test the 2 new builds I uploaded (AVX2 and SSE inside "speed comparison" folder) and report any speed differences in a scene with simple shaders (ideally just white environment and override clay mtl), that would be great ;)
Rendering is magic.How to get minidumps for crashed/frozen 3ds Max | Sorry for short replies, brief responses = more time to develop Corona ;)