Author Topic: [ARCHIVE] Pre-1.0 Daily builds  (Read 156889 times)

2015-01-14, 22:27:53
Reply #720

Ondra

• Administrator
  • Active Users
  • Turning coffee to features since 2009
    • View Profile
try replacing CoronaProxy with CProxy on that line
Rendering is magic.How to get minidumps for crashed/frozen 3ds Max | Sorry for short replies, brief responses = more time to develop Corona ;)

2015-01-14, 22:29:11
Reply #721

cecofuli

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • www.francescolegrenzi.com
Same error.
« Last Edit: 2015-01-14, 22:33:33 by cecofuli »

2015-01-14, 22:47:56
Reply #722

racoonart

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • racoon-artworks
first replace every "cproxy" with something else, like "crnproxy" then replace "CoronaProxy" with "cproxy"
You can use the menu item "Search" -> "Replace.." in the maxscript editor.

Any sufficiently advanced bug is indistinguishable from a feature.

2015-01-14, 23:53:51
Reply #723

Ludvik Koutny

• VIP
  • Active Users
  • Just another user
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
Is there any documentation/description settings for UHD? Names of those settings make no sense. Aside from quality parameter, it's impossible to tell if setting adjusts speed/quality, or which aspect of the cache it affects (density, quality, interpolation, etc...)

2015-01-15, 01:32:45
Reply #724

Ondra

• Administrator
  • Active Users
  • Turning coffee to features since 2009
    • View Profile
they will be probably just hidden and replaced with single quality parameter and still/animation radio... there is no point in tweaking them, the whole thing seems to work well... only reasonable input user might want to do is to say "i am ok with flickering because I am doing stills, and I want fast precomp, OR I am ok with longer precomp, because I need absolutely no flickering"
Rendering is magic.How to get minidumps for crashed/frozen 3ds Max | Sorry for short replies, brief responses = more time to develop Corona ;)

2015-01-15, 12:12:40
Reply #725

Stan_But

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • https://www.behance.net/archdizs
Color mapping tab is removed only when camera mod is active and overrides the settings

there wont be progressive adaptivity in 1.0 - which is a good reason to buy saas/subscription :D

headoff: can you report it as a bug?

ok. I'll post it in mantis

2015-01-15, 12:31:09
Reply #726

juang3d

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Color mapping tab is removed only when camera mod is active and overrides the settings

there wont be progressive adaptivity in 1.0 - which is a good reason to buy saas/subscription :D

headoff: can you report it as a bug?

Just to be clear, we have it in bucket mode, right?

Cheers.

2015-01-15, 12:40:20
Reply #727

daniel.reutersward

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I don´t know if this is the right place to post this so please move/delete this if this is the wrong place.

I´ve noticed a pretty big slowdown when rendering with daily builds. I´ve tried 2 projects and the slowdown is about 30-50%. With A7.2 render times were about 2-4 hours and with Daily Builds is about 6 hours.
Some noise is also very persistent.

Is it just me having these slowdowns? Any information is thankful :)

2015-01-15, 12:56:17
Reply #728

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
I don´t know if this is the right place to post this so please move/delete this if this is the wrong place.

I´ve noticed a pretty big slowdown when rendering with daily builds. I´ve tried 2 projects and the slowdown is about 30-50%. With A7.2 render times were about 2-4 hours and with Daily Builds is about 6 hours.
Some noise is also very persistent.

Is it just me having these slowdowns? Any information is thankful :)

I would say the same, but I can't be bothered to do actual comparison with workload lately, could perfectly be just more complex scene. Persistent noise has always been the issue though, I personally do de-noise using MaskID when applicable to those few places.
Please follow my new Instagram for latest projects, tips&tricks, short video tutorials and free models
Behance  Probably best updated portfolio of my work
lysfaere.com Please check the new stuff!

2015-01-15, 13:02:37
Reply #729

daniel.reutersward

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I would say the same, but I can't be bothered to do actual comparison with workload lately, could perfectly be just more complex scene. Persistent noise has always been the issue though, I personally do de-noise using MaskID when applicable to those few places.

Okey, good to know I´m not the only one feeling the slowdown. I haven´t done a in-depth comparison but a quick comparison. It could of course be a more complex scene, but I also tried my last project (which I did with A7.2) and it was much slower with daily builds (2015-01-13 build). I have never de-noised any render, but perhaps I should check it out!

2015-01-15, 13:06:52
Reply #730

Ludvik Koutny

• VIP
  • Active Users
  • Just another user
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
Okay. So i actually did not dismiss new UI like loocas did immediatelly, and actually gave it a few hour of usage. But unfortunately, it is really as bad as i expected it to be. Even with all the prejudices put aside.

The problems with this UI are:
  • It is intended to minimise amount of scrolling and visual clutter, yet if you actually use more panels at once, you scroll as much as with old A7 UI. For example you need to frequently change vfb settings, main settings, enviro overrides and camera settings, there is already scrolling involved and it doesn't help much compared to previous state.
  • It is not consistent with 3ds Max standards. 3ds Max is not Cinema4D and there is already more than enough UI schizophrenia going on inside it. Corona is aiming at being simple to use. Therefore it's completely absurd that user interface has a learning curve
  • Not being up to UI standards of the rest of the software will confuse 3ds Max users migrating from other renderers
  • It will also confuse new users as they will just try to click buttons thinking they enable features, and instead, panels will start popping up. That will definitely not make the "easy to use" first impression
  • For power users, new UI is just more clicks to get same amount of stuff done. Also, as feature set starts to grow, this system will fail completely.
  • Lastly, the division to categories in this manner is completely nonsensual. For example: What is Advanced about camera settings, which also includes motion blur and DoF toggles? That is not anything only advanced users should touch. That's a scene setting affecting a look of an image

The solution:

Now here is my solution to this problem. It's simple, easy to use UI that does not break 3ds Max standards, truly minimizes scrolling and visual clutter, and does not overwhelm new users with advanced performance settings:

The reasoning behind new UI:
  • Native 3ds Max UI mechanics (render settings tabs at the tob) are used.
  • Minimal or scrolling needed even if one needs to use many panels
  • Categories clearly divided to buttons that affects how:
    • scene looks (artistic control, scene tab)
    • scene performs (performance and advanced control, performance tab)
    • neither of above (system settings that do not control neither look, nor performance of the scene, system tab)

• Works similarly to the button panel currently implemented. User can simply focus only on part of the UI without being distracted by everything.
  • Mainly, one can spend entire time of scene creation in Scene tab, without need to touch any other tabs.
  • For mainstream screen resolution (FullHD), if user has render settings window extended vertically, on any of the three tabs, even with all the roll outs extended, there will be no scrolling.
  • Color mapping and camera roll-outs are combined, so that user clearly sees influence of enabling photo. exposure control, and therefore any confusion is avoided.

It is also very crucial not to forget 3ds Max already has native way of minimizing roll-out clutter by collapsing roll-outs. If properly implemented, roll-outs should remain open/closed even after re-opening settings window. The reason this mechanism did not work in A7 is that it is intended to be used in conjunction with the tabs at the top.  So the native 3ds max UI solution is quite sufficient for this, and there is no need for any crazy attempts. This is how UI would look for someone who does not use enviro overrides, DR and does not need to look at About rollout.

So to wrap it up. It would be very unfortunate if current, quite unprofessionally looking user interface made it into retail version. It may be easier to use in some cases, but it has a learning curve. Aside from ease to use, other trademark of Corona is a common sense. Meaning one can simply pick the renderer up and start to use it, without much searching or guesswork included. While new UI may be effective once used to, it does not come with much of a common sense, and I do not think my proposal is any less effective.

If anyone agrees with me, i would be very happy for some voice of support.

EDIT:

Practical example. Right now, if i want to have just 3 essential rollouts available to me on my 1920*1200 resolution screen, even if i stretch window vertically as far as i can, i have to scroll:
« Last Edit: 2015-01-15, 13:45:35 by Rawalanche »

2015-01-15, 13:09:13
Reply #731

Ludvik Koutny

• VIP
  • Active Users
  • Just another user
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
Oh, and as for the slowdown, i have very strong suspicion it's the UHD cache. New UHD cache has a settings that trade off between precalc time, and amount of path tracing. If you leave cache at lower quality, it does not mean it will be faster and lower quality. It just means more stuff will be path traced. So it's really hard with this philosophy to get good rendertimes at the expense of some quality.

2015-01-15, 13:14:45
Reply #732

daniel.reutersward

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Oh, and as for the slowdown, i have very strong suspicion it's the UHD cache. New UHD cache has a settings that trade off between precalc time, and amount of path tracing. If you leave cache at lower quality, it does not mean it will be faster and lower quality. It just means more stuff will be path traced. So it's really hard with this philosophy to get good rendertimes at the expense of some quality.

First off, I really like your idea for the settings UI. The new UI made me confused and I was searching for a while to find what I was looking for...

Regarding the speed, I did notice that the precalc time also increased. I did not have any problem with quality or render times before though :) Maybe there is some setting I don´t know that could enable the same speed as before? Or did I misunderstand something?

2015-01-15, 13:18:19
Reply #733

Ludvik Koutny

• VIP
  • Active Users
  • Just another user
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio

First off, I really like your idea for the settings UI. The new UI made me confused and I was searching for a while to find what I was looking for...

Regarding the speed, I did notice that the precalc time also increased. I did not have any problem with quality or render times before though :) Maybe there is some setting I don´t know that could enable the same speed as before? Or did I misunderstand something?

Best would be to try legacy HDcache option, and see if UHD is really a problem, or just a missed shot :)

2015-01-15, 13:20:20
Reply #734

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website

Okey, good to know I´m not the only one feeling the slowdown. I haven´t done a in-depth comparison but a quick comparison. It could of course be a more complex scene, but I also tried my last project (which I did with A7.2) and it was much slower with daily builds (2015-01-13 build). I have never de-noised any render, but perhaps I should check it out!

In general me neither, I consider it "degenerate" workflow. I only mean stuck up noise, i.e some very glossy specular surfaces, so for that the MaskID. For the whole render, no, never.

I am on HD Cache, so in my case it's not by UHD. Have not tested that one yet.
Please follow my new Instagram for latest projects, tips&tricks, short video tutorials and free models
Behance  Probably best updated portfolio of my work
lysfaere.com Please check the new stuff!