Author Topic: [ARCHIVE] Pre-1.0 Daily builds  (Read 156939 times)

2014-12-08, 23:38:42
Reply #450

Ludvik Koutny

• VIP
  • Active Users
  • Just another user
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
Without, IR will lose 80% of its possible usages.

No, it won't. Read carefully previous posts. Resolution and aspect ratio are two different things. Yes, you need correct aspect ratio to set up your cameras correctly, but no, you don't need exact resolution for interactive rendering. And neither camera clipping, nor camera correction are anyhow related to resolution or aspect ratio.

2014-12-08, 23:58:38
Reply #451

cecofuli

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • www.francescolegrenzi.com
Rawalanche, ok, but with IR, now, I'm not able to have the same resolution that I have with Production render.
For example, I'm not able to render in IR with resolution 800x200. Look at my video.
Maybe I wrong something...

EDIT: also, the impossibility to zoom inside IR VFB is a great loss =(
« Last Edit: 2014-12-09, 00:45:37 by cecofuli »

2014-12-09, 01:19:16
Reply #452

Ondra

• Administrator
  • Active Users
  • Turning coffee to features since 2009
    • View Profile
Without, IR will lose 80% of its possible usages.
oh COME ON! Please do not be that guy.
Rendering is magic.How to get minidumps for crashed/frozen 3ds Max | Sorry for short replies, brief responses = more time to develop Corona ;)

2014-12-09, 01:22:39
Reply #453

cecofuli

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Ondra, sorry, I didn't want to offend someone =( Ok, not 80% =) , but we will lose a lot of potentiality of IR.
Did you see my last video? It's a clear example how IR isn't so useful if it will not respect the resolution.
Please, think well about what me and DeadClown said
« Last Edit: 2014-12-09, 01:52:45 by cecofuli »

2014-12-09, 03:06:32
Reply #454

snakebox

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Snakebox Media
@keymaster When you guys test the interactive rendering, do you do it on setups with all the most common plugins installed? like forest pack pro, vray for hdri and so on ?

I can't seem to find a direct pattern but here at the studio we have certain scenes that crash A LOT at seemingly random times, using IR. It can be anything from moving a light source or adjusting a texture to updating an xref.  At the same time, it also happens that I can work on a scene while changing stuff for 40mins without any problems, then the next project we open it and move a tree, BAM crash to desktop. Since there are no direct error reports coming out on what causes the crash I am purely guessing here.

2014-12-09, 09:13:21
Reply #455

Ludvik Koutny

• VIP
  • Active Users
  • Just another user
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
I think there's just some confusion. I really think you want just correct aspect ratio, so that you can set up your composition with correct safe frame. Not actual exact resolution. So for example with 1.778 aspect ratio you can have resolutions like 720*405, 1280*720, 1440*810, 1920*1080 and so on :) So if you resize VFB, resolution will change, but aspect ratio will remain the same.

2014-12-09, 10:52:07
Reply #456

cecofuli

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Yes Rawalanche, but also resolution is important. And, much better if, with the same exact resolution, I will be able to draw a region, like in VRay.
So ASPECT RATRIO + RESOLUTION + DRAW REGION = perfect IR

Why? Because, with IR, I will be able to render exactly like in Production render, but with the flexibility of IR itself.
Like IR is now, I can have just a raw (very raw) preview on-the-fly, but without correct aspect ration and resolution.

2014-12-09, 10:53:56
Reply #457

Ludvik Koutny

• VIP
  • Active Users
  • Just another user
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
Yes Rawalanche, but also resolution is important. And, much better if, with the same exact resolution, I will be able to draw a region, like in VRay.
So ASPECT RATRIO + RESOLUTION + DRAW REGION = perfect IR

Why? Because, with IR, I will be able to render exactly like in Production render, but with the flexibility of IR itself.
Like IR is now, I can have just a raw (very raw) preview on-the-fly, but without correct aspect ration and resolution.

Now you are just not making any sense...

2014-12-09, 11:07:28
Reply #458

cecofuli

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Explain me why.
Do you know jhow IR in VRay works? Ok, IMO it's much better that IR in Corona is now.
I preferred Corona IR in Daily 16 oct 2014.

2014-12-09, 11:27:51
Reply #459

Ludvik Koutny

• VIP
  • Active Users
  • Just another user
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
Explain me why.
Do you know jhow IR in VRay works? Ok, IMO it's much better that IR in Corona is now.
I preferred Corona IR in Daily 16 oct 2014.

Vray one uses old activeshade method. Sure it does what  you want, but that doesn't mean it's a best way. I am not saying we don't need region draw tool or correct aspect ratio, but precise resolution has more drawbacks than benefits. Once correct safe frame and region draw get's implemented, then you can always do what DeadClown suggested. Make a quick production render, so VFB snaps to the right size, and then once you run IR, it will run at last remembered resolution. But you will always be able to make it smaller or larger if you need to (while keeping aspect ratio correct of course).

I think your idea about how IR should work is quite old school. It's not just a tool that does automatic F9 key press for you when you work on your image in VFB from your rigid camera view. It's meant more like rendered viewport, where you can actually move and look around, a do a lot more than just sit in your camera view and tweak image from there. Sure you can, but you should not be limited just to that. You need to start thinking of it more like viewport that uses Corona as renderer, rather than VFB with automatic re-render after changes.

2014-12-09, 11:51:27
Reply #460

cecofuli

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Mmm... I don't agree 100% with you.
I used Daily 16 oct 2014 and I was satisfied. With actual version I'm not so happy.
But we will see that users will say ;-)
« Last Edit: 2014-12-09, 11:58:02 by cecofuli »

2014-12-09, 13:43:26
Reply #461

davius

• Active Users
    • View Profile
After the 3 days licensing period, what will we need to do? Revert to the old dailies?

BTW - launching a new version of the Slate Connector in the coming days. The new naming in the CoronaMtl convention is quite simpler and easier to predict now. Tip my hat!

2014-12-09, 13:45:52
Reply #462

ecximer

• Active Users
  • Scriptobot
    • View Profile
Vray one uses old activeshade method. Sure it does what  you want, but that doesn't mean it's a best way. I am not saying we don't need region draw tool or correct aspect ratio, but precise resolution has more drawbacks than benefits. Once correct safe frame and region draw get's implemented, then you can always do what DeadClown suggested. Make a quick production render, so VFB snaps to the right size, and then once you run IR, it will run at last remembered resolution. But you will always be able to make it smaller or larger if you need to (while keeping aspect ratio correct of course).
+1
But ...
If it was possible scroll of more zoomed image, this would be the best tool, IMHO. =)
sorry for my english

2014-12-09, 13:46:49
Reply #463

racoonart

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • racoon-artworks
After the 3 days licensing period, what will we need to do? Revert to the old dailies?

From the email you got:
You will find a login below that you can use on multiple machines multiple times. The login will be stored after first entry, and subsequent activations should be done automatically, as long as you are connected to internet.
Any sufficiently advanced bug is indistinguishable from a feature.

2014-12-09, 14:13:42
Reply #464

davius

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Ahhh! Now I got it!! It gives me 3 days of offline use if I'm unable to reach the internet, but will auto "rearm" itself once connected again.

Well, I see a problem with it right off the bat - imagine a weekend where you stopped working on friday and will only come back on monday (or if an extended holliday takes place even later). You can turn your PC on just to find out you can't use Corona if you get any connections problem in that day. A little longer period would diminish the chances of this occurrence greatly, like a week or two.

You will never be truly free of this possible issue, but if that can be reduced further by simple measures then I think it's a good idea.

Cheers!