Author Topic: Bad allocation error in A7  (Read 2279 times)

2014-07-24, 22:12:58

ikercito

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hi guys,

I've been using Corona Render for about six months and I'm absolutely delighted with the developing of the engine. I even dumped Vray and now only use Corona for my professional work.

I've recently gone back to a couple of scenes (developed in A6 a few moths ago) to rerender them on a much higher resolution. I'm using A7 now, and i've been having "Bad Allocation" issues with both scenes about the time I stopped rendering. I'm actually just doing a region render (3200x6400px) of a detail of the view (the whole view is about 8500x6500px). Scene renders and stops properly albeit the error, and everything seems to work fine after the first one or two warnings, but I've had a few crashes afterwards too...

My setup is a i7 4820K, 24Gb DDR3 RAM and a GTX 760. Scene is not too heavy, just about 200k polys, with a few displacement maps. I've never run into any memory problems before with A5 and A6, and up to these scenes neither with A7. I'm working under Max 2013.

Hope any of you guys can give me a hand on this. Thanks.

2014-07-24, 23:27:51
Reply #1

Ondra

• Administrator
  • Active Users
  • Turning coffee to features since 2009
    • View Profile
how many render passes do you use? And what is the value of internal resolution (VFB tab)? Try setting it to 1
Rendering is magic.How to get minidumps for crashed/frozen 3ds Max | Sorry for short replies, brief responses = more time to develop Corona ;)

2014-07-25, 00:21:26
Reply #2

ikercito

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Thanks for your attention Keymaster,

I tipically have enough with between 80 and 150 passes, depending on the scene. Do you mean the Image Filter value in VFB settings? It's set to 2 in Tent filter, width 1,5. I have never messed with render values in Corona and go with defaults... Worked great til now.

Could you elaborate a bit on the cause?

I just launched a render on a new scene, hope it works. Thanks again.

2014-07-25, 00:50:40
Reply #3

Ondra

• Administrator
  • Active Users
  • Turning coffee to features since 2009
    • View Profile
try decreasing the internal res to 1, it will lower memory consumption by 75%.

I meant render passes (elements) ;)
Rendering is magic.How to get minidumps for crashed/frozen 3ds Max | Sorry for short replies, brief responses = more time to develop Corona ;)

2014-07-25, 12:42:20
Reply #4

ikercito

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Thanks Keymaster! Seems to be working ok for now

And about the passes... Got it wrong! :D

Just 4 or 5 elements, AO, Zdepth, Masks,... nothing too fancy ;)