Author Topic: Noise shader as Bump map not working?  (Read 1030 times)

2023-10-09, 11:54:30

tennet

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Good Monday
Hi,

When I'm using a C4D Noise shader in the Bump-channel, then I need to set the 'noise space' to 'UV (2D)' to see any bump effect in the rendering. If I set the noise space to "'texture' instead, which is the default setting, then I see no bump effect at all. I have tried to scale the noise from very small values to very big, but nothing happens.. but as soon as I switch the space setting to 'UV (2D)' then the bump gets visible directly.

This is the same when using a C4D Noise as a 'Corona Normal map' (I'm first adding the noise to a 'C4D normalizer shader, then add this to a 'Corona Normal shader'). If the noise space is set to 'texture', then again, the normal map doesn't render. Switching to 'UV 2D' then the normal map works.

If I use the same noise shader in the 'roughness/glossiness' channel, then both settings ('texture space' and 'UV 2D space') work correctly.

Is this a bug?

See attached screenshots illustrating the two settings.

2023-10-09, 12:26:23
Reply #1

Beanzvision

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Bengamin
    • View Profile
    • Cormats
Hi there, it seems to be working for me. Are you using Corona materials or C4D? What version of Corona and C4D are you running?

Bengamin Jerrems l
Portfolio l Click me!

2023-10-10, 10:34:58
Reply #2

tennet

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Good Monday
Hi Bengamin,

Thanks for getting back. I'm using R21 and 2023 with Corona 9 (hotfix 1 / Build timestamp • Nov 28 2022 23:30:37). I'm only using Corona Physical materials.

I've now found something that seems to trigger this "error" for me. If I add the C4D noise shader directly to the bump channel, then the bump appears when rendering - using both 'Texture space' and 'UV 2D' (with different scaling of course)... But if I want to use the noise shader inside a C4D 'layer shader' (so I can stack multiple noise shaders on top of another) then I can ONLY use the the '2D UV' texture space.. as soon as I switch to 'Space: Texture' then the bump effect disappears.

Same thing happens when I add the Noise shader to a C4D 'Filter Shader' (and probably when adding noise inside other shaders as well).. Then I can only use the 'UV 2D' option in the noise settings for it to work, using 'texture space' doesn't work (for me anyways).

Can you see if this is the same for you?

2023-10-10, 11:19:34
Reply #3

Beanzvision

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Bengamin
    • View Profile
    • Cormats
Hi there,

Yes, bump and the layer shader is a well documented bug that we plan to address in a future release.
Bengamin Jerrems l
Portfolio l Click me!

2023-10-10, 11:44:52
Reply #4

tennet

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Good Monday
Aha, OK! And this thing with the texture space is connected to this known problem? Same with the 'Filter shader' then?

Thanks,
Frederik

2023-10-31, 01:41:01
Reply #5

Dean81

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Do we have any idea when this might be addressed, please?