Author Topic: Corona Color - Ability to load industry colour libraries from CSV  (Read 877 times)

2023-03-06, 17:00:20

Jpjapers

• Active Users
    • View Profile
https://thefactioncgi.com/the-faction-free-resources/2021/3/25/-free-script-colour-libraries-for-3ds-max

I found this plugin recently and thought that it would be great to see this functionality, natively in the corona color material node.
Having preset colour libraries built-in but also being able to load your own from a CSV as this can do, is really useful for anyone working in design visualisation in general.
It would also be really useful if there was a way to enter the manufacturer specified LRV for paints etc and have the colour automatically adjust to compensate. Dubcat shared a method many years ago for this but its probably outdated now and the picker has changed somewhat.

2023-03-06, 21:27:03
Reply #1

Aram Avetisyan

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
I like the idea. PANTONE system for example is built-in inside Revit. One can pick an exact color from it and then do the documentation.
Ofcourse colors in a 3D application can be very "subjective" as there are many things affecting and giving the final look of the color, then it can be color corrected, white-balanced et.c but it's better to have something than nothing.
I think it will be good to maybe have a poll, and see what actual color pallets designers/corona artists use, then these colors can be somehow integrated in CoronaColor map.
RAL catalogue will make the most sense I think, almost every other color can be referenced or converted from it.
Aram Avetisyan | chaos-corona.com
Chaos Corona Support Representative | contact us

2023-03-07, 09:55:21
Reply #2

LE DON

• Active Users
    • View Profile
https://thefactioncgi.com/the-faction-free-resources/2021/3/25/-free-script-colour-libraries-for-3ds-max

I found this plugin recently and thought that it would be great to see this functionality, natively in the corona color material node.
Having preset colour libraries built-in but also being able to load your own from a CSV as this can do, is really useful for anyone working in design visualisation in general.
It would also be really useful if there was a way to enter the manufacturer specified LRV for paints etc and have the colour automatically adjust to compensate. Dubcat shared a method many years ago for this but its probably outdated now and the picker has changed somewhat.
+1

2023-03-07, 14:05:56
Reply #3

Jpjapers

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I like the idea. PANTONE system for example is built-in inside Revit. One can pick an exact color from it and then do the documentation.
Ofcourse colors in a 3D application can be very "subjective" as there are many things affecting and giving the final look of the color, then it can be color corrected, white-balanced et.c but it's better to have something than nothing.
I think it will be good to maybe have a poll, and see what actual color pallets designers/corona artists use, then these colors can be somehow integrated in CoronaColor map.
RAL catalogue will make the most sense I think, almost every other color can be referenced or converted from it.

RAL seems to be very much a european thing. Ive been working remotely from the UK for a US company for the last 18 months and we have been doing lots of design viz using renders to make decisions before time and im used to using RAL and Pantone but they just didnt use RAL at all and it seems like its not used much over there. I could be completely wrong and if some americans want to chime in that would be useful.

Having built-in colours that it ships with would be great but definitely the ability to load your own through CSV or even to save a colour to an existing library file from within the node would be fantastic for those who need specific libraries such as for packaging renders where the manufacturer has specific brand colours.

I would suggest;

• Pantone/Freetone
  • RAL
  • BS
  • NCS
  • PPG/Johnstones
  • Dulux
  • AMS
  • Sherwin-Williams
  • Farrow & Ball
  • Munsell

But as i say even if most of those ended up being community contributions, the feature alone would be useful.

Youre right in saying that theres a lot of stuff that affects the perceived colour. Ive sat all day today photographing manufacturer-supplied physical colour samples in a lightbox with a Macbeth chart to colour correct them, just because i didn't think their web samples were at all accurate and i was very very right.

It would also be useful to be able to enter LAB values.

« Last Edit: 2023-03-07, 14:15:44 by Jpjapers »

2023-03-07, 20:27:29
Reply #4

Basshunter

• Active Users
    • View Profile

+1

This would improve my everyday workflow sooo much.

2023-03-07, 21:06:25
Reply #5

Jpjapers

• Active Users
    • View Profile

+1

This would improve my everyday workflow sooo much.

Such a small thing but a real quality of life upgrade day to day. In the meantime, that third party one is really useful.

2023-03-08, 12:21:17
Reply #6

Aram Avetisyan

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
Letting everybody interested know that this is currently possible to do, you just need to create the colors (or maybe there are already created libraries) and save it as a separate library.
Aram Avetisyan | chaos-corona.com
Chaos Corona Support Representative | contact us

2023-03-08, 13:14:42
Reply #7

Jpjapers

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Letting everybody interested know that this is currently possible to do, you just need to create the colors (or maybe there are already created libraries) and save it as a separate library.

Its also possible with the third party plugin i linked in my initial post.