Author Topic: Thinking of switching to VRay  (Read 4796 times)

2022-09-09, 15:15:56
Reply #15

TomG

• Administrator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
Hi,

@aaouviz
As suggested above, in the v9 dailies we have the out of core textures. This automagically resizes the textures in the CoronaBitamps so you don't have to.

In some of our real world testing scenes we have saved more than 10gb of memory during rendering using this.

Hi Rowan,

What does this "our of core textures" exactly do? Does it reduce the size of texture depending of proximity to camera or something like this?

Something like that yep - but note, only for textures loaded into Corona Bitmap (not native Bitmaps), and of course doesn't affect memory needed for geometry etc.
Tom Grimes | chaos-corona.com
Product Manager | contact us

2022-09-09, 16:37:03
Reply #16

Basshunter

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Something like that yep - but note, only for textures loaded into Corona Bitmap (not native Bitmaps), and of course doesn't affect memory needed for geometry etc.

Got it. Thank you, Tom.

2022-09-09, 19:06:53
Reply #17

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
  • Let's move this topic, shall we?
    • View Profile
    • My Models
It's time to kiss good bye good old Max's bitmap then :]
I'm not Corona Team member. Everything i say, is my personal opinion only.
My Models | My Videos | My Pictures

2022-09-09, 19:53:23
Reply #18

Basshunter

• Active Users
    • View Profile
It's time to kiss good bye good old Max's bitmap then :]

Hmm, I've been using Corona Bitmap instead of Max native Bitmap since forever. I didn't know some of you preferred Max's one. Can I ask why?

2022-09-09, 20:03:42
Reply #19

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
Well for one, not sure if it still applies, native never crashed when you just drag&dropped replacement during IR :- ).
I also never saw any speed or qualitative improvement, so it's just convenient with HDRi due to angle & dome mode.
It also has somewhat less features with no option to truly disable filtering.

The VrayBitmap (formerly VrayHDRi) at least introduced Elliptical (Anisotropic) Filtering for sharper result, while CoronaBitmap just retained Bilinear&Bicubic.

Last but not least. Native enables you to switch between Renderers easier, and had immediate support from Unreal export plugins. It's also kind of more future-proof in this way in general.
Please follow my new Instagram for latest projects, tips&tricks, short video tutorials and free models
Behance  Probably best updated portfolio of my work
lysfaere.com Please check the new stuff!

2022-09-09, 21:32:10
Reply #20

arqrenderz

• Active Users
  • https://www.behance.net/Arqrenderz1
    • View Profile
    • arqrenderz
Native has good support for Ifl, try to load 1000 frames using corona bitmap... also it doesn't support all formats native one does.
Also made some tests and parsing would be slightly slower than native bitmap.
Hope corona bitmap is developed further to use it without hesitation

2022-09-09, 21:38:15
Reply #21

Basshunter

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Wow, I didn't know Corona Bitmap had all those limitations compared to native one. What's the point of using it?

2022-09-09, 22:13:13
Reply #22

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
    • My Models
Well, you said you are using it since forever, then i guess there is some point ;] Then also there's superior filtering algorithm, no fuss environment mapping, dome mode, correct handling of displacement maps, better RAM usage analysis and most recently - potential memory savings. Yes, it has some limitations and weaknesses, but it has some strong points too. I personally don't use it because of less convenience compared to Max bitmap and because of some other limitations, mentioned by Juraj and arqrenderz. It would be nice to see if Corona bitmap could get more love from devs, but i think it's time for me to give it a chance anyway.

2022-09-10, 10:20:16
Reply #23

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
I believe the devs mentioned stumbling into roadblocks in 3dsMax architecture rather than not having enough love and time for it.

Corona's perfect 3ds Max integration is double-edged sword since they have to work with that there is... which I believe is lot of pain :- ).
Please follow my new Instagram for latest projects, tips&tricks, short video tutorials and free models
Behance  Probably best updated portfolio of my work
lysfaere.com Please check the new stuff!

2022-09-10, 11:10:47
Reply #24

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
    • My Models
Yes, you could be right, but then again, i lost count how many times Ondra said that something can't be done because of 3ds Max limitations and then sometime later he pulls a rabbit out of the hat and give us an impossible feature :]

2022-12-16, 12:12:26
Reply #25

rowmanns

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Corona for 3ds Max QA Team
    • View Profile
Hi,

The forest pack issues you reported should be fixed in the latest daily https://forum.corona-renderer.com/index.php?topic=38385.msg207389#msg207389

Please read this before reporting bugs: How to report issues to us!
Send me your scene!