Author Topic: Exposure-only override in Corona Camera  (Read 1260 times)

2022-08-02, 13:57:25

Polaris

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hi guys,

I must admit that the new tonemapping in Corona 8 is really great.
But, the only and really great disadvantage is that the option of exposure override by camera disappeared with the new tonemapping.

That was a super simple and intuitive feature that used to simplify the workflow in the scenes with multiple cameras in differently lit zones of the same project (this is very often the case, actually, especially in interiors). Just to adjust rapidly the brightness of the image, while keeping the same global tonemapping across the project.

Why not to use the new Override Tonemapping option to adjust the exposure by camera? - Yes, BUT it overrides all the tonemapping, and when we need a little tweaking in the global tonemapping to adjust the look during the project or to polish it for final renders, we need to remake the whole tonemapping override on every camera with a different exposure.
This is time wasting and counter-productive.

Ok, I understand that the problem is that now multiple Exposure layers can be added in the tonemapping and can be stacked differently.

So, I’d like to request the following feature in the Corona Camera, with two possible solutions :
- add an additional Exposure Override setting. When activated, it would turn off all the « Simple Exposure » and « Photographic Exposure » layers in the global tonemapping just for this camera, and add one exposure setting just before all the other layers of tone mapping. (screenshot in attachment)
- or, something like Exposure Shift setting. Following the same logic of adding a camera-specific Exposure Layer before the existing global tonemapping stack, but maintaiting all the other Exposure layers already used in the global tonemapping. In this way, we could make any given camera like +1 brighter or -0,5 darker than the global tonemapping, while still affected by all the Exposure settings in the global tonemapping.

Hoping my idea is clear, sorry for a long explanation. «I would have written a shorter one, but I did not have the time» ©
And I think I’m not alone in missing the good old simple Exposure setting in Corona Camera :)

2022-08-02, 14:04:23
Reply #1

TomG

• Administrator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
You wouldn't have to remake the tone mapping for each camera, as you can use Copy from global to bring in the tone mapping stack from the global settings to the camera, then adjust the exposure as needed. Of course if you change the global settings, you'd need to copy in again to each camera and then redo the exposure adjustments, but still beats trying to recreate the stack for each camera.

(Not to negate the request/suggestion, just a point that might make it easier to do what you want in the meantime)
Tom Grimes | chaos-corona.com
Product Manager | contact us

2022-08-02, 14:09:00
Reply #2

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
  • Let's move this topic, shall we?
    • View Profile
    • My Models
I will vote with two hands for any solution that would let decouple exposure from the rest of tone mapping and not only in the cameras, but in render settings as well. Adjusting exposure was dead simple and enjoyable to use in pre-V8 and i would dearly love to get that feeling back.
I'm not Corona Team member. Everything i say, is my personal opinion only.
My Models | My Videos | My Pictures

2022-08-02, 14:25:41
Reply #3

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
Does the below scenario describe the issue that you would like to have addressed?

You have an existing super nice tone mapping setup that you are happy with and you would like to use it globally for all shots in your scene, regardless if you are rendering from any camera or perspective view.
You would then like to have multiple cameras and adjust ONLY the exposure in each camera so that the overall tone mapping would stay the same for each camera view, but the exposure would differ?

Marcin Miodek | chaos-corona.com
3D Support Team Lead - Corona | contact us

2022-08-02, 14:32:41
Reply #4

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
So, if what I wrote in my previous message is what you are looking for, here is a solution:

- add a Photographyc Exposure operator to your tone mapping stack
- change ISO in each camera (without using any override option)

This way the ISO value in Render Setup > Scene will be used for perspective view and each camera's ISO for each camera view.

Marcin Miodek | chaos-corona.com
3D Support Team Lead - Corona | contact us

2022-08-02, 15:29:15
Reply #5

arqrenderz

• Active Users
  • https://www.behance.net/Arqrenderz1
    • View Profile
    • arqrenderz
+9000 To have a simple way INSIDE each camera to adjust exposure
Quote " And I think I’m not alone in missing the good old simple Exposure setting in Corona Camera "