Author Topic: CoronaPattern playground!  (Read 42408 times)

2022-07-16, 16:35:06
Reply #15

Hardleft121

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Jaw dropping feature.  Nice job devs!

long live Corona.

2022-07-16, 16:58:45
Reply #16

hurrycat

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hey guys, congratulations on the new modifier, the first results seem impressive. Is there any definition or description for the Corona Pattern, as in what new does it bring to the table?

It seems like it gives you the option to apply a texture (or geometry?) along a mesh topology? Or am I completely off? Is this a widely known feature in other renderers or something?

Thank you, keep up the great work!

2022-07-17, 14:18:49
Reply #17

Tanakov

• Active Users
  • Corona is faster than diarrhea
    • View Profile
    • https://www.behance.net/Gringott
Omg Omg omg omg! its happening! I can't believe it! I waited for this feature since 2014-01-02, 15:03:48

My first post on the forum and its finally here! Thank you!
Using Corona since 2014-01-02
https://www.behance.net/Gringott

2022-07-17, 17:21:27
Reply #18

aaouviz

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Another Angle 3D
Hey guys, congratulations on the new modifier, the first results seem impressive. Is there any definition or description for the Corona Pattern, as in what new does it bring to the table?

It seems like it gives you the option to apply a texture (or geometry?) along a mesh topology? Or am I completely off? Is this a widely known feature in other renderers or something?

Thank you, keep up the great work!

Check out 'geopattern' for fstorm, or the newly released enmesh for vray.

It's that... but for corona :)
Nicolas Pratt
Another Angle 3D
https://www.instagram.com/anotherangle3d/

2022-07-17, 19:38:08
Reply #19

LorenzoS

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hi,
I haven't tried the new coronapattern yet,
but seeing the examples I ask you if the same things can also be done with chaosscatter and if yes, there is a less memory usage?

thanks

2022-07-17, 20:24:33
Reply #20

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
  • Let's move this topic, shall we?
    • View Profile
    • My Models
Hi,
I haven't tried the new coronapattern yet,
but seeing the examples I ask you if the same things can also be done with chaosscatter and if yes, there is a less memory usage?

thanks

Not exactly. In a sense the Pattern is closer to displacement than to the Scatter. They all serve different purpose and can do things that others can't do. And yes, the Pattern needs much less RAM than displacement and probably less than the Scatter.
I'm not Corona Team member. Everything i say, is my personal opinion only.
My Models | My Videos | My Pictures

2022-07-19, 15:04:54
Reply #21

user116

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Not contributing with pictures but it looks spectacular ! Thanks for the feature !

2022-07-25, 22:55:40
Reply #22

Rhodesy

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Such an awesome feature, been having lots of random fun with this. How much more control are you able to eek out of it?

For example a randomise rotation function, ditto for scale, or being able to use more than one pattern node? Its really close to being a good option for grass and so quick and efficient. Those additional features would really help tip the balance.

Also an auto capping feature?

Odd doodles attached.

2022-07-26, 11:49:22
Reply #23

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
    • My Models
For example a randomise rotation function, ditto for scale, or being able to use more than one pattern node?

Yes indeed, something like multi-texture, but for pattern, where you could plug multiple nodes and the tool would randomly pick them from the list. That could be a killer feature.

2022-07-26, 14:41:52
Reply #24

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
    • My Models
Few more requests.

• i just realized that Corona Pattern only accepts single polygonal objects as a valid node and not hierarchies. It would be very useful if it could accept groups, as it could simplify set up a lot!
  • would it be possible to make cropping box controlable by mouse in the viewport. If you could grab it by the edge and move, adjusting its size, that would be very useful. Ideally it should be also able to snap to topology.
  • sometimes it would be useful if cropping box could be visble even when pattern object is not selected, especially useful when you want to fine-tune pattern node's geometry to better fit the pattern. This option could be made selectable, like view cone of a camera is.
« Last Edit: 2022-07-26, 15:01:51 by romullus »

2022-07-26, 15:03:59
Reply #25

Rhodesy

• Active Users
    • View Profile
+1 for all the above.

Also if therfe is anyway for them to support decals that would be great. No doubt very tricky!

2022-07-27, 10:10:36
Reply #26

Stefan-L

• Active Users
    • View Profile

2022-07-27, 12:15:49
Reply #27

Rhodesy

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Another one for the pile....

Being able to stack more than one pattern mod on the base object so you can use different nodes and parameters. Sure you can duplicate the base object but that has the drawback of needing to re-clone for every change to the base geo. Its a nice to have, not critical though as the same end result can be achieved. This feature is really distracting!

Think this might have been mentioned already but if there was a way for real world units to be respected from the node geo that would be a big time saver.

Thanks

2022-07-27, 15:23:53
Reply #28

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
Also if therfe is anyway for them to support decals that would be great. No doubt very tricky!

Sorry, but that sounds a bit cryptic to me. Can you explain what exactly you mean?
Marcin Miodek | chaos-corona.com
3D Support Team Lead - Corona | contact us

2022-07-27, 15:33:12
Reply #29

Rhodesy

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Yes, as far as I can tell from testing if you have corona pattern on a surface - like a planked floor, you can't put a decal on the generated planks. If you switch off the pattern mod the decal will project fine on the base object but when the pattern is on the decal wont project on the pattern geometry. Does that make sense? I suppose it might be the sequencing so that the pattern should generate first and then the decal projected on after but I'm not even sure if its possible?