Author Topic: How to use Megascans displacement maps correctly?  (Read 721 times)

2022-06-11, 23:27:02

Basshunter

• Active Users
    • View Profile
What values should I use for displacement (min and max height) when rendering Megascans 3d models with Corona?

2022-06-12, 09:36:59
Reply #1

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
  • Let's move this topic, shall we?
    • View Profile
    • My Models
Open accompanying JSON file and search for height string, it will tell you displacement value in meters. Megascan displacement textures has midpoint at 0,5, so you have to divide height by 2 and enter those values to Corona's displacement min and max. For example, if height in JSON file is 0,5m you need to enter -0,25 and 0,25 in Corona's displacement min and max accordingly.
I'm not Corona Team member. Everything i say, is my personal opinion only.
My Models | My Videos | My Pictures

2022-06-12, 15:32:23
Reply #2

Basshunter

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hey Romullus!

Thanks for your answer. This works for atlases, but is it the same case for 3d models? I have this statue and the json file says height is 0.5m, which I think refers to the height of the asset itself. Using -0.25m and 0.25m gives me horrendous results in this case.

2022-06-12, 16:34:13
Reply #3

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
  • Let's move this topic, shall we?
    • View Profile
    • My Models
Hmm, i don't know, i've just looked at on of their assets, ~2m boulder and it sais height - 0,35m in the JSON file, which sounds pretty reasonable. Maybe they have changed something in their later assets?
I'm not Corona Team member. Everything i say, is my personal opinion only.
My Models | My Videos | My Pictures

2022-06-12, 16:36:20
Reply #4

Basshunter

• Active Users
    • View Profile
That's what I thought but couldn't find anything about it. I hope someone else have the answer.