Author Topic: Substance Designer to Corona PBR  (Read 2162 times)

2022-03-24, 20:32:36

dipozzo

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hi guys!

I have been using Substance Designer for a few months.
When I import textures created with Substance Designer, the result in Corona is always different than what I see on Substance.
For example, the roughness map is always too shiny with Corona. Since they are PBR materials, shouldn't the result be the same? (Or similar anyway, not completely different).
Why? Is there a correct way to export maps from Substance?

I attached an example.

Thank you very much.

2022-03-25, 09:29:44
Reply #1

James Vella

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Did you set the gamma to 1.0 for your linear textures (roughness/normal etc)? I think they call it Linear Color Profile or something similar in C4D

2022-03-25, 09:53:38
Reply #2

dipozzo

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Thanks for the reply!
If I set the "Linear" color profile of the textures, the result is correct.
So do I always have to set a linear profile for all textures? I have always used Embedded.

Thanks to those who will help me understand.

2022-03-25, 10:40:27
Reply #3

davetwo

• Active Users
    • View Profile
As I understand it. RGB diffuse maps can be set to be embedded. Anything 'structural' (normal, rougness, displacement etc) should always be set to linear.
I think it should be the same wherever you get your materials from - not just substance

2022-03-25, 10:55:13
Reply #4

James Vella

• Active Users
    • View Profile
You're welcome.

I do this manually in 3dsmax. I know there's some plugins that do this for you, I could never really get them to work consistently but maybe there is a feature in Corona or could be a feature request since its such a repetitive task and needs to always be linear for these textures.

2022-03-25, 11:04:46
Reply #5

dipozzo

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Thank you all!
I didn't know that the structural textures (rough, normal, displ etc.) went linear. Now I understand why I had to retouch the downloaded images every time.

Thanks again!

2022-03-25, 12:38:38
Reply #6

davetwo

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Yeah - on a side note for the corona devs. I guess they should import with linear as the default setting. Tweaking some small but repetitive things like this would be a geat help.

2022-03-25, 17:11:24
Reply #7

jojorender

• Active Users
    • View Profile
+1
...I guess they should import with linear as the default setting. Tweaking some small but repetitive things like this would be a geat help.
Same as it always worked for normal map loaded into a normal shader.