Author Topic: Find displacement materials  (Read 1109 times)

2022-01-13, 09:19:52

aaouviz

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Another Angle 3D
Hi all,

I'm rendering a big set of very large scenes (not large as in 1,000,000 trees) but many London city blocks from eye level with many many 3d people, buildings, vehicles etc. The biggest, heaviest scene I've ever built + rendered.

Anyway, I'm finding that generally the rendering is going smoothly. Surprisingly. (Side note; I'd recommend staying away from Humano 3d people - I bought their full collection for a sweet €1,000+ and they've been nothing but trouble!)

But if I turn on displacement it basically doesn't render (or displacement calc takes hours).

I'm almost certain there is only 1 object in the whole scene that has displacement, and is quite small, but important.

But I'm guessing, given the long displacement calc, that there must be more in the scene somehow.

My question: how do I find which objects/materials have displacement? The scene has thousands of materials (and about 10 xref files). So I'm struggling to come up with a solution as to how to find the troublesome displaced texture, remove it, and hopefully allow the render to get past the displacement calculation.

Many thanks for any tips!
Nicolas Pratt
Another Angle 3D
https://www.instagram.com/anotherangle3d/

2022-01-13, 09:41:54
Reply #1

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
  • Let's move this topic, shall we?
    • View Profile
    • My Models
You could use batch material edit script to disable displacement map slot on all materials and then enable it back by hand on the materials that you want.
I'm not Corona Team member. Everything i say, is my personal opinion only.
My Models | My Videos | My Pictures

2022-01-13, 09:59:39
Reply #2

aaouviz

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Another Angle 3D
Solid suggestion! Thank you.
Nicolas Pratt
Another Angle 3D

2022-01-13, 10:03:27
Reply #3

Frood

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Rakete GmbH
... or use a simple script to find the names of materials using displacement:

Code: [Select]
if CoronaMtl!=undefined do (
print "CoronaMtls with active displacement:"
for m in getClassInstances CoronaMtl where (m.texmapDisplace!=undefined and m.texmapOnDisplacement==true) do (
print m.name
)
)

if CoronaPhysicalMtl!=undefined do (
print "CoronaPhysicalMtls with active displacement:"
for m in getClassInstances CoronaPhysicalMtl where (m.displacementTexmap!=undefined and m.displacementTexmapOn==true) do (
print m.name
)
)

You'd have to merge the xrefs first though.

Good Luck

Never underestimate the power of a well placed level one spell.

2022-01-13, 12:11:54
Reply #4

dj_buckley

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Sini Software have a free plugin, Forensic, that will scan the scene and then gives you the option to put all materials with displacement to the material editor.  I can't remember off hand, but it might also let you select all objects with a displace modifier too

2022-01-14, 13:44:14
Reply #5

aaouviz

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Another Angle 3D
Sini Software have a free plugin, Forensic, that will scan the scene and then gives you the option to put all materials with displacement to the material editor.  I can't remember off hand, but it might also let you select all objects with a displace modifier too

Thanks mate. I actually already use Sini, so this seems like the best option...

However, it doesn't seem to work!? I tested it multiple times and the search always come back at 0.

I'll check in with Sini and see what they say...
Nicolas Pratt
Another Angle 3D