Author Topic: CoronaDecals playground!  (Read 36377 times)

2022-08-25, 16:12:31
Reply #90

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
  • Let's move this topic, shall we?
    • View Profile
    • My Models
Perfect!

even with Ambient occlusion!
only the way to pierce the glass would be missing but you would see the wall ..

I think it's solvable with some DIY hacks. For example you could use OSL with parallax mapping to have illusion of depth. Not sure if that's available in C4D though.
I'm not Corona Team member. Everything i say, is my personal opinion only.
My Models | My Videos | My Pictures

2022-10-05, 00:19:45
Reply #91

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
    • My Models
Feature request - an option to limit decals on user defined material IDs would be nice to have.

2023-02-27, 01:39:35
Reply #92

shortcirkuit

• Active Users
    • View Profile
hi devs - can you use a decal and bend it on a curved surface?  ie dirt map on a pot plant?  Theres a fucntion for vray but not for corona

2023-02-27, 13:48:47
Reply #93

TomG

• Administrator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
hi devs - can you use a decal and bend it on a curved surface?  ie dirt map on a pot plant?  Theres a fucntion for vray but not for corona

Not possible in current versions - this was a new addition to V-Ray in the last hotfix, and is not something added in Corona, at least not yet.
Tom Grimes | chaos-corona.com
Product Manager | contact us

2023-03-12, 13:10:19
Reply #94

brr

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hello Corona devs and Corona users,

I think it would be great to have more control over plugged textures via CoronaMultiMap with CoronaDecal.
Why?

For example, right now I have a project where I need to brand 10 different objects which have different sizes. Decal texture and its pattern scale stays the same – it looks like barricade tape (red/white) and it differs only by length.
So in such case it has no sense to prepare a set of different textures only because the length differs, it has sense to use one tiled part.
It also has sense to control the object properties with one shader.

Because Decal element has no tiling option build in (and I can not apply UVW mapping on it), I decided to create such construction:

Texture 1,2,3,4,5 (with different tiling option) -> CoronaMultiMap -> CoronaMaterial. And wanted to define the specific texture via ObjectGBuffer ID, which works perfect with classic polygons, but does not work with Decals. Material modifier also does not work in this case.

Please, look at my attachment image.

It would be great in the future to be able to control the texture through Decal G-Buffer ID.

I would also be very grateful if you tell me if there are any workarounds for now...

Best regards.

2023-03-12, 13:57:25
Reply #95

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
    • My Models
I think in your particular case the simplest solution would be to use real-world mapping - unfortunately decals does not support RW mapping either. Overall, i fully agree with you that decals needs to have some sort of IDs to allow precise control in multi-material, multi-map usage.

2023-03-13, 13:18:39
Reply #96

jasond

• Active Users
    • View Profile
For example, right now I have a project where I need to brand 10 different objects which have different sizes. Decal texture and its pattern scale stays the same – it looks like barricade tape (red/white) and it differs only by length.
So in such case it has no sense to prepare a set of different textures only because the length differs, it has sense to use one tiled part.

Because Decal element has no tiling option build in (and I can not apply UVW mapping on it), I decided to create such construction:

I created a similar pattern for black and yellow caution tape and just like you wish coronadecal could tile as we use this tape frequently. The only way I've managed to get it work is either create a plane the height/width you want and set a UVW map to the correct size. Another way is to set up a layered material and add UVW to that with the correct size. It automatically tiles.

Would definitely be easier if the decal had a tile option after picking / setting the initial size as well as an option to bend around curves without stretching.

2023-03-15, 08:59:44
Reply #97

Aram Avetisyan

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
Hello Corona devs and Corona users,

I think it would be great to have more control over plugged textures via CoronaMultiMap with CoronaDecal.
Why?

Texture 1,2,3,4,5 (with different tiling option) -> CoronaMultiMap -> CoronaMaterial. And wanted to define the specific texture via ObjectGBuffer ID, which works perfect with classic polygons, but does not work with Decals. Material modifier also does not work in this case.

Please, look at my attachment image.

It would be great in the future to be able to control the texture through Decal G-Buffer ID.

I would also be very grateful if you tell me if there are any workarounds for now...

Best regards.

This is reported now, thank you.

(Internal ID=1077400719)
Aram Avetisyan | chaos-corona.com
Chaos Corona Support Representative | contact us

2023-03-16, 13:34:25
Reply #98

brr

• Active Users
    • View Profile

This is reported now, thank you.

(Internal ID=1077400719)

Thank you! Hope this will be improved in v10

I created a similar pattern for black and yellow caution tape and just like you wish coronadecal could tile as we use this tape frequently. The only way I've managed to get it work is either create a plane the height/width you want and set a UVW map to the correct size. Another way is to set up a layered material and add UVW to that with the correct size. It automatically tiles.

Would definitely be easier if the decal had a tile option after picking / setting the initial size as well as an option to bend around curves without stretching.

Thanks for the reply! Sorry, I don't get it :) Could you please make some screenshots to show what exactly you mean?

--------------
@all:
it is really impressive that we can also work with decals in 3d mode via triplanar function.I didn't saw this example here before. If I missed it, please excuse me.
Please look at my attachment.

----------------------------------------------------
UPDATE:

While experimenting a little bit more with triplanar and decal techniques, I observed some interesting behavior. When applying the same decal principle to a positively oriented object (max angle degree =180), such as a simple box, the back decal appears more greyish in color. Smoothing groups do not seem to have any impact on this issue. However, when I apply a chamfer modifier, all faces with decals start to look good.
Why is this happening?

Please, look at my second attachment - looks like a bug.mp4
If anyone needs the test scene, I can provide it.

Thanks in advance.
« Last Edit: 2023-04-12, 23:08:03 by brr »

2023-06-21, 14:17:00
Reply #99

brr

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hello Corona Renderer team,

I understand that you have a lot going on with the upcoming release of Corona 10, but I wanted to ask if there is any way to use Corona Decal with alpha from texture saved as for example PNG for the Corona Decal?
This would greatly simplify and speed up the creation of decals, such as text decals or decals with complex shapes.

Please take a look at my image example in attachment.
In my shader, I have a PNG texture with alpha channel, where I attempted to use this alpha. Connecting it to the opacity slot didn't yield any results, and the red color represents the base color which is behind the texture.

I also wanted to ask if you have reviewed the information in my previous post, where I highlighted a potential issue at the end of that post ("UPDATE" section).
I hope that these observations will be taken into consideration, and that the Corona Decal features will become even better and more versatile.

Thank you in advance!

2023-06-21, 15:27:38
Reply #100

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
    • My Models
In my shader, I have a PNG texture with alpha channel, where I attempted to use this alpha. Connecting it to the opacity slot didn't yield any results, and the red color represents the base color which is behind the texture.

You need to set mono channel output to Alpha, then it should work. Alpha source selector has different purpose.

2023-06-21, 17:17:04
Reply #101

brr

• Active Users
    • View Profile

You need to set mono channel output to Alpha, then it should work. Alpha source selector has different purpose.

YESS! romullus! it works :)
Apha Source: Image alpha for direct preview in viewport with Corona Decals
Mono Channel Output: Alpha + plugged to Opacity color for decal mask itself.

Thank you !
« Last Edit: 2023-06-21, 21:48:58 by brr »

2023-06-21, 19:22:20
Reply #102

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
    • My Models
You're welcome! :]