Author Topic: Default light intensity too high?  (Read 1442 times)

2021-07-05, 14:29:38

dacian

• Active Users
    • View Profile
What would be a normal workflow to set light intensity values?
If I create a Corona Sky and render it with an intensity of 1 it's way too bright. The whole image is white. If I add a sun to create some shadows, even more so. They both need a value of 0.05 or so. The same goes for a 3-light setup with the default intensity of 50. Way too bright.
How do you guys work?

2021-07-05, 14:34:28
Reply #1

TomG

• Administrator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
That's not the lighting, that's the exposure :) Corona creates lighting at reasonable strengths, and the default exposure is for an interior scene - so if you render an exterior, you will have to lower the exposure to -4 or so.

(Like a real world camera, if it was set to properly expose an interior, it would make exteriors overblown and overbright; the opposite is true, if the default exposure was set for outdoors, then all interiors would be too dark; since one or the other has to be chosen for the default exposure, we chose interiors as those are the most common).

Tom Grimes | chaos-corona.com
Product Manager | contact us

2021-07-05, 14:44:01
Reply #2

dacian

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Thanks, that makes sense now.
Related question - I can't seem to be able to control the exposure using ISO, Shutter speed and Aperture in the camera settings. If I change the F-stop I can see it affects the dof. But these settings don't affect the exposure at all. What am I missing? :)

2021-07-05, 15:38:11
Reply #3

TomG

• Administrator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
By default it's set the easiest mode, Simple Exposure, where all you need to do is change the Exposure value in the VFB (or in the camera). If you want to use Photographic Exposure based on ISO, Shutter Speed etc. head to Render Settings, Corona, Camera/Postprocessing and check "Use photographic exposure". Alternatively, per camera, you can check "Use photographic exposure" in the camera.
Tom Grimes | chaos-corona.com
Product Manager | contact us