Author Topic: Large Carpet  (Read 4757 times)

2021-06-22, 16:29:35

Peter A.

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hello All,

I'm trying to re-create this large, wall-to-wall carpet:

I'm stuck on this task. Besides distant full room views, I need to render close-ups as on the picture above. I tried everything - Max Hair, Corona displacement, Corona Scatter. None of these give at least good results.

Any ideas?

Thank you in advance.

Peter

2021-06-22, 17:11:26
Reply #1

dj_buckley

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Curious as to why you'd need to render closeups of carpet unless the CGI's are for the carpet manufacturer themselves, and if that is who the CGI's are for, then why not ask them to send you large samples so you can photograph and create your own displacement maps?

2021-06-22, 20:36:03
Reply #2

Peter A.

• Active Users
    • View Profile
It's related to carpet cleaner product. I need to show cleaner machine directly on carpet. There will be close-ups to machine parts and carpet will be part of the pictures.

2021-06-23, 11:58:09
Reply #3

dj_buckley

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Ok makes sense, so personally I'd take the displacement route.  I'd look at using the displacement map from something like this https://www.poliigon.com/texture/carpet-loop-pile-shimmer-001 or one of their other carpet shaders.

Then maybe use a noise in the bump slot for further irregularity.

You'll need to lower the displacement resolution quite a bit to get the detail to come through.

Alternatively, you say you've tried Hair and Fur, it won't be practical for the distant shot, but for closeups maybe you could take some hints from this https://www.pikcells.com/lab/photorealistic-rug-hair-and-fur-tutorial

2021-06-24, 17:09:10
Reply #4

Peter A.

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Thank you so much! I knew about Picksells rug and seems like this is exactly what I need. Just purchased model and I'm really curious about the results.

Thank you!

2021-06-24, 17:14:17
Reply #5

dj_buckley

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hair and Fur does depend quite heavily on scene units though, but it's more than achievable by tweaking.  Good luck

2021-06-25, 08:29:03
Reply #6

Jak

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Try using Corona Scatter. Create few boxes chamfer edges a bit and add a turbo smooth, perphaps some noise. Use variations in scale and Z axis mostly, as well as some rotations. Might actually do the trick.

2021-06-25, 15:21:49
Reply #7

Peter A.

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Thank you all for the tips and guides. Here is a previews of latest revisions. It's pure Corona Displacement. Shoes are placeholders. I guess I'll need to make carpet more fluffy and soft, but I think I'm on the right track. What's your opinions, guys?

2021-06-25, 22:26:52
Reply #8

burnin

• Active Users
    • View Profile
needs sheen, a bit of volume/sss, some particles/hair and a pinch of aniso

2021-06-28, 00:03:53
Reply #9

Peter A.

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Update - based on Carpet preset from Corona Material Library. Used custom displacement map. Quite happy with this look and feel.

2021-06-28, 09:44:19
Reply #10

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
  • Let's move this topic, shall we?
    • View Profile
    • My Models
I would say that's pretty close match to the reference. You can scatter tiny hairs on top if you want it to be even closer.
I'm not Corona Team member. Everything i say, is my personal opinion only.
My Models | My Videos | My Pictures

2021-06-28, 10:13:02
Reply #11

Peter A.

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I would say that's pretty close match to the reference. You can scatter tiny hairs on top if you want it to be even closer.

Actually, I already did, but somehow it's not visible. Need to play with it a bit more.

2021-06-28, 15:31:56
Reply #12

agentdark45

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Update - based on Carpet preset from Corona Material Library. Used custom displacement map. Quite happy with this look and feel.

That looks really great! Can you share the displacement map, or the steps you took to modify it/where you got it from?
Vray who?

2021-06-29, 02:11:53
Reply #13

cjwidd

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Artstation
yes, I am also curious about the displacement map and shader +1

2021-06-29, 13:35:09
Reply #14

wilbertvandenbroek

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Looks good indeed, I would personally scatter some small curve / squigly lines with scatter or forest pack to add that furry details.