Author Topic: Help with Shadowcatcher!  (Read 1768 times)

2021-06-10, 19:23:33

Philw

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I need my shadowcatcher plane to be completely transparent apart from my shadow - but I'm still getting a faint version of the plane geometry in the alpha - I've tried all the different options in the shadowcatcher material. Help! What am I doing wrong? Scene just has a Corona Sky with HDRI lighting the scene. Using latest C4D 7 Daily build on R21.

2021-06-10, 23:28:35
Reply #1

Philw

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Guessing what I really need to ask is is there a way to control the opacity of the shadows on the catcher or mask it somehow…? Cheers

2021-06-11, 05:07:56
Reply #2

BigAl3D

• Active Users
    • View Profile
One trick you can try is to add a Corona Compositing Tag to the Shadow Catcher object. I think you leave Seen by Camera ON, but turn OFF the others. I think that's right.

The other method is to make your shadow catcher take up the entire view. Think of a studio setup with a floor that curves up into a wall.

2021-06-11, 07:11:49
Reply #3

Philw

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Thank you. I couldn't get any combination of the options in the tag to make any difference unfortunately :-(

The issue with filling the plane larger is that the final image is being placed quite small over a tinted background on the printed page so any edges will be visible in the layout. For now I will just paint out a feathered edge in Photoshop so it can blend onto the page.

In Redshift I generally add an opacity mask to the edge of my floor plane matte  too so that my shadows fade out with that - but I couldn't see a way to add any more inputs to the shadowcatcher material in Corona.

Thanks!

2021-06-14, 09:14:23
Reply #4

mmarcotic

• Former Corona Team Member
  • Active Users
  • Jan - C4D QA
    • View Profile
Hello,

would it be possible to submit the scene to us via the private uploader? Or at least the hdri so that we can test this internally?

Thanks,
Jan
Learn how to report bugs for Corona in C4D here.

2021-06-14, 15:03:50
Reply #5

Philw

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Yep - no problem.

I think its really a question of managing the shadow spread and therefore its transparency falloff some how.

I'll upload to the private thing.

Cheers,

Phil