Author Topic: c multi shader - changing distribution pattern  (Read 1729 times)

2021-06-10, 18:26:14

jojorender

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hi all,
Is there any way to keep the C multi shader from changing it’s random distribution when the hierarchy in the object manager changes? Every time you add an object on top in the object manager the multi shader changes.
While that doesn’t matter on tree leaves etc, I use the C multi shader a lot for floors and tiles and in these cases the changing pattern is a real problem.
Is this behavior a feature or a bug?
So far the only thing I could figure out is to move all objects below the objects with multi shader materials, but in large scenes with many multi shaders that quickly becomes a scene organizing nightmare.
I made a small test scene (attached) to check if v7 fixed this. Nope.
If someone wants to try, just drop in cubes to see what happens.

Any ideas how to “bake” the distribution pattern?

2021-06-11, 00:45:48
Reply #1

Cinemike

• Active Users
    • View Profile
If you can, use the C4D variation shader and use the mode "Object Name" instead of "Objects".
This should keep the pattern.

PS The variation shader in the "Objects" mode "suffers" from the same issue.

CU
Michael
« Last Edit: 2021-06-11, 00:53:22 by Cinemike »

2021-06-11, 05:16:42
Reply #2

jojorender

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hi Michael,
thanks for your response.
I’m usually loading 9 -12 floorboard or tile textures plus corresponding normal and gloss maps into a material. Would that be possible with the variation shader?
I could use the c4d multi shader that does not suffer from this issue but is limited to mograph objects. I like that the corona multi shader works (randomizing) on all kinds of objects. That makes it so great for foliage.

Still interested to hear from the developers if the changing pattern is a feature or a bug.

2021-06-11, 05:29:00
Reply #3

Cinemike

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I’m usually loading 9 -12 floorboard or tile textures plus corresponding normal and gloss maps into a material. Would that be possible with the variation shader?

Yes, that's possible. The shader even includes a built-in UV randomizer.

2021-06-11, 14:19:15
Reply #4

jojorender

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Thanks Michael,
made a quick test and this looks promising.
My main reason to use the c-multi shader was the “mesh element” mode for leaves etc.
Just wondering if you know a similar setup for the variation shader?
I used it with “polygon step” which only works if all leaves have the exact same poly count.

Anyways, thanks so much for your tip, for a better tile setup!

2021-06-11, 19:22:38
Reply #5

Cinemike

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Thanks Michael,
made a quick test and this looks promising.
My main reason to use the c-multi shader was the “mesh element” mode for leaves etc.
Just wondering if you know a similar setup for the variation shader?
I used it with “polygon step” which only works if all leaves have the exact same poly count.

Anyways, thanks so much for your tip, for a better tile setup!

You are welcome.

For leaves I use the corona multi shader, too, because there is no proper replacement for the mesh element setting in the variation shader.
We're lucky to have both of them!