Author Topic: Convert vray to corona without vray installed  (Read 7157 times)

2021-06-08, 21:47:25

hsandres1

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hi, guys
I search a lot and didn't find how to convert vray materials of some object to corona if I don't have vray installed.
I don't wanna buy v-ray just to convert it to corona, it doesn't make sense.
Thanks for helping.

2021-06-08, 21:54:12
Reply #1

TomG

• Administrator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
You don't have to buy V-Ray - the converter works so long as V-Ray is installed, even a demo, even if the demo is expired. Also, many V-Ray materials render in Corona as expected without conversion too (and that does not need V-Ray installed). Hope that helps!
Tom Grimes | chaos-corona.com
Product Manager | contact us

2021-06-10, 20:38:13
Reply #2

hsandres1

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Wooo, it's true.
I hadn't thought about it
Thanks a lot!

2021-06-10, 21:09:27
Reply #3

TomG

• Administrator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
Most welcome!

2021-06-28, 08:47:38
Reply #4

Jens

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Ikonoform
I still find it annoying I have to install vray to convert materials to corona. Would it be possible for the corona installer to provide the needed files for this now it's all the same company? Max UI is bloated enough as is, I don't need or want to see extra vray features on right click menus, modifiers etc. :)
My small 3D model shop: www.ikonoform.com/shop
My arch viz blog: www.ikonoform.com/blog

2021-06-28, 09:11:01
Reply #5

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
I still find it annoying I have to install vray to convert materials to corona. Would it be possible for the corona installer to provide the needed files for this now it's all the same company? Max UI is bloated enough as is, I don't need or want to see extra vray features on right click menus, modifiers etc. :)

+1 I had the same suggestion = )
Please follow my new Instagram for latest projects, tips&tricks, short video tutorials and free models
Behance  Probably best updated portfolio of my work
lysfaere.com Please check the new stuff!

2021-06-28, 09:24:51
Reply #6

NicolasC

• Primary Certified Instructor
  • Active Users
  • CG supervisor / teacher / artist
    • View Profile
+1 definitely !
Nicolas Caplat
CG supervisor / teacher / artist

2021-07-07, 12:45:54
Reply #7

Mohammadreza Mohseni

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Instagram
for any sort of class conversion to work in 3ds max, you need those classes to be recognized. to do that there is a need for a plugin to define those classes. (there is no need for those classes to have functionality just defining the class and its parameters would be enough).
so for example, if there is no plugin to define the vraybitmap class it would not be possible to pinpoint that and convert it because it is undefined and pops the missing plugin window.

it would be awesome if we could have just one (or many) plugins (optional during installer so the user can choose to install or not) to define those vray classes without any functionality just to do the conversion. same for the vray users to have a defining class plugin so there would be no need to install both at the same time.

so +1 for me too

2022-07-08, 17:02:17
Reply #8

Darawork

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hi all, just wanted to re-start this discussion as our team are currently trying to drop vray completely in favour of just using Corona only. Were're currently using Corona 6/7 and vRay 5.
Has there been any advancements in functionality of this sort e.g. In Corona 8? Seeing as it's now Chaos Corona 8, and the amalgamation of the two products is getting closer year by year.

Is there any mention of it on the current roadmap for future Corona builds?

Regards,
Windows 10/11, 3DS Max 2022, Revit 2023, AutoCad 2023, Dell Precision 5810/20, nVidia Quadro P5000/RTX 5000, Corona 10/11.

2022-07-08, 18:19:58
Reply #9

TomG

• Administrator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
You will always need the engine being converted from to be installed, so that the materials are readable (otherwise they will just be "blocks" with no parameters, as it's the engine that makes sense of the data in the material). As ever, a demo, even expired, is perfectly fine.

2022-09-18, 12:29:13
Reply #10

Viktor_ru

• Active Users
    • View Profile
maybe just integrate a demo version of vray into the corona installer and hide the installation procedure from the user?