Author Topic: Virtual memory without warnings and crashes  (Read 4881 times)

2021-03-12, 23:56:05

frv

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hi,
I would love to see a option within corona where corona would use virtual memory without any warnings or crashing the system. I most often have scenes with a lot of vegetation and my systems do not have enough ram. But corona renders just fine using virtual memory. its just a hassle to get passed the warnings and crashes.
Maybe a bug still but I always need to restart before rendering a scene using virtual memory. Otherwise corona crashes.

2021-03-15, 09:34:10
Reply #1

mmarcotic

• Former Corona Team Member
  • Active Users
  • Jan - C4D QA
    • View Profile
Hello,

@1 - Have you tried Ignoring the messages if they are a nuisance to you? Adding a screenshot to the reply.
@2 - Could you disclose a _BugReport.txt and a minidump(windows user) so we could look into it? I don't think I have ever experienced this issue personally nor have I ever heard of it.
Additionally, disclosing information such as Corona version, C4D version, PC specs, OS version always helps.

Thanks!
Jan
« Last Edit: 2021-03-15, 10:30:39 by mmarcotic »
Learn how to report bugs for Corona in C4D here.

2021-03-16, 16:44:36
Reply #2

Nejc Kilar

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
    • My personal website
Been a while since I had a scene page out to disk but if I recall correctly whenever you go virtual memory style stability is severely under question :\
Nejc Kilar | chaos-corona.com
Educational Content Creator | contact us

2021-03-16, 17:07:55
Reply #3

Cinemike

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Me and my 32 GB run into VM pretty often, but I only had crashes when I had (manually) set my VM size too low. Since increasing it the crashes are gone, fingers crossed! Running into VM does not help with the rendertimes, of course.
When C4D decides to write a backup and refuses further cooperation, there is nothing you can do, of course.

2021-03-18, 23:54:58
Reply #4

frv

• Active Users
    • View Profile
My system:
iMac 2015 i7 32 Gb ram
C4D R23
Running the beta CR 7 daily builds. Very happy about version 7 btw.

All my renders are VM. I use the hair tool to brush ground cover on my landscapes. Huge amounts of data :-)
VM ia around 40Gb or a little less. You can see the renders here on the top left. https://francoisverhoeven.com
Images are rendered at around 2400x2400 p. Renders up to around 200 sl. Rendertime around 12 hours but at about 10 min reasonably at 5 or 6 sl. Scene parsing 5 to 10 min before render starts. I wonder if GPU render engines or a PC (instead of a Mac) would reduce parsing times. Actually parsing times slow down my design process much more than render time. After 1 or 2 minutes rendering I can evaluate the image. But because of parsing times I can only do 4 or 5 image evaluations an hour.
« Last Edit: 2021-03-19, 00:00:58 by frv »