Author Topic: Corona sun  (Read 2982 times)

2021-02-12, 11:47:47

flysimon

• Users
    • View Profile
I'm wondering is it possible to change the shape of the corona sun to a custom shape? Or if possible mask apply a mask to it

2021-02-12, 18:03:25
Reply #1

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
I am really curious why you would want to do that.
Marcin Miodek | chaos-corona.com
3D Support Team Lead - Corona | contact us

2021-02-12, 18:23:26
Reply #2

TomG

• Administrator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
Curiosity x 2!
Tom Grimes | chaos-corona.com
Product Manager | contact us

2021-02-15, 17:57:26
Reply #3

dj_buckley

• Active Users
    • View Profile
To simulate clouds/softer sun maybe, in a more irregular way than just increasing the size of the sun?

2021-03-19, 00:23:31
Reply #4

flysimon

• Users
    • View Profile
I just thought it would be cool to experiment with the sun and see what type of results it can produce, also for artistic purposes.

2021-03-19, 09:50:05
Reply #5

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
  • Let's move this topic, shall we?
    • View Profile
    • My Models
I could be wrong, but i think it's doesn't matter what shape of the sun would be, you would not see a difference because of its apparent size, i.e. it's so small that from the shadows it's casting, you could not tell if its shape is triangle, donut, or dancing unicorn.
I'm not Corona Team member. Everything i say, is my personal opinion only.
My Models | My Videos | My Pictures

2021-03-23, 19:35:42
Reply #6

mferster

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Incorrect! you can use big objects far out in your scene that can obscure and change the shape of your sun and effect the bokeh effects created from the sun.

I used a giant sphere to simulate an lunar eclipse and then went wild and made a star shaped hole cut out of a circular plane to get star shapes.

2021-03-23, 19:45:37
Reply #7

TomG

• Administrator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
But where's the dancing unicorn one? Inquiring minds want to see the result! :)

2021-03-23, 20:04:59
Reply #8

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
    • My Models
I stand corrected. I totally forgot about those amazing solar eclipse shadows. Now if only the moon had the shape of an unicorn :]

2021-03-23, 22:19:53
Reply #9

mferster

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Geeeezzzz so demanding! Hard to see but they do have horns!

2021-03-23, 22:33:14
Reply #10

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
    • My Models
I used a giant sphere to simulate an lunar eclipse and then went wild and made a star shaped hole cut out of a circular plane to get star shapes.

Wait a minute! That's not the same as changing the shape of the light source. You introduced aperture in light's path and it changed the shadows. Shape of light source has nothing to do with that (as long as we're talking about the sun). Remove the aperture and change light's shape and you probably won't see any difference compared to the ordinary sun.

2021-03-24, 13:11:39
Reply #11

TomG

• Administrator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
However it was done..... yay dancing unicorns! ;)

2021-03-24, 16:04:55
Reply #12

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website

Wait a minute! That's not the same as changing the shape of the light source. You introduced aperture in light's path and it changed the shadows. Shape of light source has nothing to do with that (as long as we're talking about the sun). Remove the aperture and change light's shape and you probably won't see any difference compared to the ordinary sun.

Yeah this, like Romullus says.

I actually did some "research" (quick experiment) to see if sun could be altered in way that it produced dappled shadows directly by itself identical to effect from occluding tree branches. All in single mapped 360 Dome HDRi.
And no, the object has to stand between the light source and object on which light is being casted.

It's possible to do some funky stuff with the sun shape but the effect isn't enough by itself. The occluding needs to happen on different plane of distance.
Please follow my new Instagram for latest projects, tips&tricks, short video tutorials and free models
Behance  Probably best updated portfolio of my work
lysfaere.com Please check the new stuff!

2021-03-24, 21:47:15
Reply #13

mferster

• Active Users
    • View Profile

Hmmmm looks like it still works the same way. I made a "mickey mouse" sun by combining 3 suns touching each other and all oriented pointing at the same spot, with no shaped aperature between them and the tree leaves and it makes a similar effect.

2021-03-24, 21:53:15
Reply #14

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
    • My Models
Hmm, then maybe the gaps in the leaves is an actual aperture and position of the moon is not important. Ok, i admit that i have way to little knowledge to judge this, therefore i must apologise you for wasting your time.

Edit, but your experiments are interesting and i believe they will be valuable for someone.