Author Topic: Saving two image files for the same view in Batch Rendering  (Read 2377 times)

2020-12-10, 19:03:12

victorm33

• Users
    • View Profile
Hello,
I'm trying to improve the productivity of my workflow with 3DsMax + Corona by Batch Rendering.

The problem is that, after an image is rendered, I need to save two files: one normal, with shadows and everything (that I normally save in .jpg), and another with the alpha channel incorporated, without the background (that I save in .png with alpha).

The workaround I found is to make two different scenes to render, with two different output files, but the time used to configure this and to render it is doubled in this case.
I know I can save the alpha channel separated and then add it in an editing program, but this would add another process to the workflow, which I wanted to avoid.

Does anyone have any ideas of what I can do?

I really appreciate the help,
Thx!

ps. sorry if I posted it in the wrong place, don't know how to delete it, though.
« Last Edit: 2020-12-10, 22:26:43 by victorm33 »

2021-01-06, 14:33:09
Reply #1

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
When you are saving a single image with alpha channel, the data that has 100% transparency should not be lost. So if you load it into your post-production app, you should be able to choose whether to respect the alpha channel (show the sky as 100% transparent checkerboard) or whether the alpha channel should be discarded (show the sky as the sky).
Marcin Miodek | chaos-corona.com
3D Support Team Lead - Corona | contact us

2021-01-06, 16:10:58
Reply #2

jms.lwly

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • jms.lwly studio
Another solution could be to render an additional Beauty Pass, and have that save to a different file format or settings (e.g. without the Alpha) - but as Maru says, you shouldn't need to render an additional version with or without alpha - you just need your post production software to ignore the alpha.

2021-01-07, 19:52:54
Reply #3

victorm33

• Users
    • View Profile
Hi guys, thank you for the answers.
Yeah, that's kind of my problem. When I batch render 20 images, for example, I need 40 files, 20 with and 20 without background. I know I can do this in my post-production, but I was trying to avoid spending time in it. But I guess it's better than rendering two times with different extensions.
Thank you very much!