Author Topic: Channel/property override in material workflow  (Read 2637 times)

2020-11-19, 12:50:15

Okenite

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hi,

before all : Thanks a lot to the team for so good work and listning features request ! Great !

Override is not for rendering but for materail working workflow

My idea is to create a new material tool like a layeredMlt and have slot for base material and  one or several parameters to override  the main material.
For exemple:
- i can only override the bump slot to have the same material with rounded corner  but keeping all the other element of the material synchronized
- i can also be usefull to do it with the diffuse map, or displacement, ...
- it can be usefull to have the same kind of tool in the corona bitmap to overide only offset or tilling or channel ...

I think it'will be a great tools to optimize workflow and be sure to make changes on all matrial that need to keep the same base on the validation/modifcation customer process ...

Thanks by advance for reading

Have a good day

2020-11-19, 15:22:08
Reply #1

Frood

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Rakete GmbH
You are basically requesting a Max user's wet dream: to be able to instance/reference materials :) But partially it is already possible to use one material with different parameters on different objects by using the CoronaUserProperty map. Your first example (one object with bump, the other without - but sharing the same "base" material) is frequently needed but can be solved with user properties.

Example setup attached, all three pots use the same base material. The object properties shown are those of the pot in the middle.

Good Luck

Never underestimate the power of a well placed level one spell.

2020-11-19, 19:05:13
Reply #2

Okenite

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hi,

Yeah it's a great tools, i've nver see it, but i think i'll use it often now !
It's not really user friendly and limited in the possibility but it's in the good direction !

Thanks a lot

2021-01-05, 14:11:24
Reply #3

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
Maybe it could be also solved with the Multimap? https://coronarenderer.freshdesk.com/support/solutions/articles/12000004978-corona-multi-map
You can create a single material and control each property with a Multimap. For example, you could have one material and a Multimap plugged into the bump slot. One of the Multimap items would be a Corona Round Edges map and the other one would be empty. You could apply this single material to multiple objects and they would get different bump maps depending on some ID (for example Material ID or Object GBuffer ID).
Marcin Miodek | chaos-corona.com
3D Support Team Lead - Corona | contact us