Author Topic: Indexed animated proxies  (Read 3042 times)

2020-10-19, 23:58:40

Jarnold

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hi everyone,

I think it would be great if animated corona proxies were indexed so only the portion of the proxy that is needed is loaded rather than the whole file. Vray does this with .vrmesh.

When animating trees it can create a lot of data and this in turn puts strain on the network when we have 100+ nodes loading up multiple 5gb+ proxies for every frame of an animation.

The current workaround I am doing involves making a .vrmesh and setting its display paramater to show whole mesh and rendering inside corona. This is less than ideal as I have to change between vray and corona to create the proxy, and would also like to benefit from being able to use the corona proxy display parameters to speed up viewport.

2020-11-04, 14:24:48
Reply #1

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
Hi,

By "size", do you mean proxy file size on the HDD, RAM used when rendering, or scene size when the proxy is loaded?

I did a quick test like this:
Created a very hi-poly geosphere, applied animated noise modifier to it, 100 frames.
Exported this into an animated proxy with V-Ray 5 HF2 and Corona 6 HF1. Rendered with V-Ray and Corona.

Here are my stats:

Corona Proxy file size: 1 179 604 K
Vray Proxy file size: 833 881 K

3dsmax.exe RAM usage:
Corona Rendering without Proxy: 1 350 000 K
Corona Rendering with Corona Proxy: 1 680 000 K
Vray Rendering with Vray Proxy: 1 948 000 K

So I guess you do not mean RAM usage? :)

Marcin Miodek | chaos-corona.com
3D Support Team Lead - Corona | contact us

2020-11-06, 00:35:43
Reply #2

Jarnold

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Interesting!

But yeah if it is possible it would be great to have the option to create proxies that are one file per frame, like how is possible in point cache, or in Grow FX cache.

I would imagine this would lead to smaller files, and less load on a network if different nodes are loading different files rather than all trying to use the same file.

Keen to hear your thoughts!

2020-11-12, 12:21:04
Reply #3

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
Thanks for the suggestion. We will definitely think what can be don here to improve Corona Proxies.

(Internal ID=589100244)
Marcin Miodek | chaos-corona.com
3D Support Team Lead - Corona | contact us

2020-11-19, 11:23:32
Reply #4

rowmanns

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Corona for 3ds Max QA Team
    • View Profile
Hi everyone,

I think it would be great if animated corona proxies were indexed so only the portion of the proxy that is needed is loaded rather than the whole file. Vray does this with .vrmesh.

When animating trees it can create a lot of data and this in turn puts strain on the network when we have 100+ nodes loading up multiple 5gb+ proxies for every frame of an animation.

The current workaround I am doing involves making a .vrmesh and setting its display paramater to show whole mesh and rendering inside corona. This is less than ideal as I have to change between vray and corona to create the proxy, and would also like to benefit from being able to use the corona proxy display parameters to speed up viewport.
Hi,

Would it be possible to get one of these monster 5gb+ proxies? We would like to use it for some profiling of how proxies are loaded.

Instructions on how to send this file to us can be found in my signature, you will need to use the dropbox uploader.

Cheers,

Rowan
Please read this before reporting bugs: How to report issues to us!
Send me your scene!