Author Topic: Corona Renderer 7 for 3ds Max - Daily Builds Discussion  (Read 175694 times)

2021-04-12, 16:13:32
Reply #285

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
I have not used noise level for years. It's just too dependable on detail structure of image. Add detailed carpet into scene and the whole parameter becomes quite useless for evaluation of "render" noise.

hi Juraj,
I`m moving from vray and I`m using noise limit 2% on my setup.   Can you tell me what`s your workflow instead of using noise? sorry if it`s a noob question.

I am using passes, so I have to do some quick local test to see which amount is the right one. Even for animation, passes would equal consistent look without shimmering.

It roughly translates to 2 perc. as well. But it can be 4perc. if the scene has lot of micro-detail (like office type carpet,etc..). The renderer will mistake it for noise.
Please follow my new Instagram for latest projects, tips&tricks, short video tutorials and free models
Behance  Probably best updated portfolio of my work
lysfaere.com Please check the new stuff!

2021-04-12, 16:52:45
Reply #286

leo_surrealismo

• Active Users
    • View Profile
got it.
with passes, what If I change resolution?  do I have to make the tests on the exact output resolution to have consistent results?

2021-04-12, 17:14:47
Reply #287

aaouviz

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Another Angle 3D
if the scene has lot of micro-detail (like office type carpet,etc..). The renderer will mistake it for noise.

Fark, this is a bit disheartening to hear! I always assumed Corona was smarter than that...
Nicolas Pratt
Another Angle 3D
https://www.instagram.com/anotherangle3d/

2021-04-12, 20:05:37
Reply #288

Bormax

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I have not used noise level for years. It's just too dependable on detail structure of image. Add detailed carpet into scene and the whole parameter becomes quite useless for evaluation of "render" noise.

hi Juraj,
I`m moving from vray and I`m using noise limit 2% on my setup.   Can you tell me what`s your workflow instead of using noise? sorry if it`s a noob question.

I am using passes, so I have to do some quick local test to see which amount is the right one. Even for animation, passes would equal consistent look without shimmering.

It roughly translates to 2 perc. as well. But it can be 4perc. if the scene has lot of micro-detail (like office type carpet,etc..). The renderer will mistake it for noise.

I thought about situation with objects like carpets, I've posted my idea of here some time ago
https://forum.corona-renderer.com/index.php?topic=31461.0

« Last Edit: 2021-04-12, 20:11:53 by Bormax »

2021-04-13, 11:08:34
Reply #289

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
got it.
with passes, what If I change resolution?  do I have to make the tests on the exact output resolution to have consistent results?

With larger resolution you can get away with larger noise, so quite often half the passes are necessary. But it's important to not have too little passes since +/- 100 passes are requires for clean AA.

What happens when you find out you only need 50 passes to have good noise on high-res image, lower the AA/GI ratio to get 100 passes in the same time. If you're rendering frequently very high-res images, you can just make your default ratio something like 8/2 instead of default 16/2 and forget about it. It's better for IR and IR with Optix Denoiser as well since you get faster feedback.

I think I have that as default Corona settings since I don't really want to change it per project like Vray :- ).
Please follow my new Instagram for latest projects, tips&tricks, short video tutorials and free models

2021-04-13, 17:01:13
Reply #290

Place

• Active Users
    • View Profile
got it.

With larger resolution you can get away with larger noise, so quite often half the passes are necessary. But it's important to not have too little passes since +/- 100 passes are requires for clean AA.

What happens when you find out you only need 50 passes to have good noise on high-res image, lower the AA/GI ratio to get 100 passes in the same time. If you're rendering frequently very high-res images, you can just make your default ratio something like 8/2 instead of default 16/2 and forget about it. It's better for IR and IR with Optix Denoiser as well since you get faster feedback.

I think I have that as default Corona settings since I don't really want to change it per project like Vray :- ).

I don't get it... can you explain better?
I mean, I always thought I had to rise up number of passes with high-res images: what do you mean with "good noise"? And what about denoise parameters in that case?
And what do you mean with high-res? 6, 9, 12K?

Thank you in advance,
Man

2021-04-14, 12:37:03
Reply #291

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
Yeah, 4k+

You don't need more passes with higher resolution, quite oppositely. Noise becomes less perceptible with higher resolution. Just like with real cameras. Noisy high-res image from DSLR still looks good. Noisy low-res shit from cellphone does not.

100 passes for 2K, 4K or 8K should give you the same noise level roughly, but 8K will look good sooner, it may already look good with only 50 passes.

2021-04-15, 11:27:07
Reply #292

EugeneDa

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Behance
Hi. Does anyone else have this problem? The first time you click on it, some menu items are not available. After removing Corona, everything works the first time. See the attached file.

3dsmax 2021, corona-7-3dsmax-daily-2021-03-30

2021-04-15, 11:50:12
Reply #293

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
  • Let's move this topic, shall we?
    • View Profile
    • My Models
So that's Corona's fault?! I have this issue for a couple weeks now, but i couldn't guess it has anything to do with Corona, i thought it's just a Max was messing up after windows update, or something similar. Luckily (or sadly), it's not the most annoying issue i have or had in 3ds Max.

3ds max 2016 if that's important.
I'm not Corona Team member. Everything i say, is my personal opinion only.
My Models | My Videos | My Pictures

2021-04-15, 12:02:07
Reply #294

Bormax

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hi. Does anyone else have this problem? The first time you click on it, some menu items are not available. After removing Corona, everything works the first time. See the attached file.

I have the same issue.
3DS Max 2021.3

2021-04-15, 15:09:59
Reply #295

rowmanns

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Corona for 3ds Max QA Team
    • View Profile

Hi,

I haven't noticed this, does it happen in every scene?

Thanks,

Rowan
Please read this before reporting bugs: How to report issues to us!
Send me your scene!

2021-04-15, 15:24:10
Reply #296

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
  • Let's move this topic, shall we?
    • View Profile
    • My Models
Yes, it happens in every scene, usually once per session.
I'm not Corona Team member. Everything i say, is my personal opinion only.
My Models | My Videos | My Pictures

2021-04-15, 15:26:10
Reply #297

EugeneDa

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Behance
Hi,

Thanks,

Rowan

Yes. Once for each menu and only on the first click.
« Last Edit: 2021-04-15, 15:32:02 by EugeneDa »

2021-04-16, 15:34:01
Reply #298

rowmanns

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Corona for 3ds Max QA Team
    • View Profile
Hi,

Thanks,

Rowan
Yes. Once for each menu and only on the first click.
Hi,

That's really strange, I have not been able to reproduce this. Which exact 3ds Max version are you using? Are all the updates installed? Also which exact version of Windows are you using?

Are your GPU drivers also up to date?

Thanks,

Rowan
« Last Edit: 2021-04-16, 15:55:20 by rowmanns »
Please read this before reporting bugs: How to report issues to us!
Send me your scene!

2021-04-16, 20:59:55
Reply #299

EugeneDa

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Behance
Max 2021.3, Win10 pro 2004, amd 2990wx, Radeon rx580 8gb.

All updates and drivers are installed. And I also tried to install an older version of the video card driver, as there were problems with them in Blender before.
As soon as I have time I will try to remove other plugins or reset 3ds max.