Author Topic: Excessive saving times of 3ds max scenes  (Read 3379 times)

2020-08-17, 18:59:06

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
  • Let's move this topic, shall we?
    • View Profile
    • My Models
My 3ds max suddenly started to save scenes excessively slow. 100MB scene takes about half a minute to save. This issue is global and not with one specific scene. I tried to run max cleaner script, but those tools usually helps with scene specific issues. I've checked if maybe file compression on save, accidentally got activated, but that's not the case.

If someone has some advice where to look for the issue, i would be very grateful - those saving times are killing me.
I'm not Corona Team member. Everything i say, is my personal opinion only.
My Models | My Videos | My Pictures

2020-08-17, 21:38:02
Reply #1

sprayer

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Try to disable compress on save. and look how big real file is

2020-08-17, 22:07:21
Reply #2

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
    • My Models
Thanks, but as i said in my first message - compress on save is not enabled. I never use this feature.

2020-08-18, 00:10:40
Reply #3

sprayer

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I notice compression may be turned on\off by their own from scene to scene. Maybe you can share the scene to check? There is some virus up there and there is new one what not detected by new 3ds max virus protection what may slowing down work. Try to scan with new version of prune script

2020-08-18, 09:56:24
Reply #4

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
    • My Models
The issue is scene independent, i get the same horrendous saving times in all scenes, it only depends on the file size.

It's funny that you mentioned the prune scene, because the last thing that i did before i noticed this issue for the first time, was cleaning a scene with this script (i have the latest version). Right after i did this, saving time skyrocketed in the same scene and in the same max session. Don't know if it's related, or just pure coincidence.

2020-08-18, 10:49:22
Reply #5

jms.lwly

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • jms.lwly studio
I had a scene recently which was taking an age to load/save (wasn't particularly giant, about 500mb) - I ran Sini Forensic, and most things looked fine but it had 1000s of 'Anim Layers' in the scene.

It looks like Prune will find the same things, but might be worth running Forensic on the scene anyway?

2020-08-18, 12:07:49
Reply #6

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
    • My Models
Yeah, prune should find those things too, but i'll give forensic a try. Thanks for advice.

2020-08-18, 14:45:37
Reply #7

Bormax

• Active Users
    • View Profile
What about "Backup on save" check box in the same place where "Compress on save" is located?

2020-08-18, 15:33:29
Reply #8

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
Maybe you can catch something in Task Manager > Performance > Open Resource Monitor ?
You can then go to the Disk tab and sort by current total read/write.
My bet would be Windows Defender / Security. Especially if you recently updated.
Marcin Miodek | chaos-corona.com
3D Support Team Lead - Corona | contact us

2020-08-18, 16:08:17
Reply #9

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
    • My Models
Thanks maru, i tried your advice and my findings are quite puzzling. When i press save in 3ds max, resource monitor's disk tab shows no special activity change for the most time while max is "saving" the file. It seems like it does nothing for the most part of the saving period and only at the last moment, couple seconds before releasing UI, it performs actual writing to disk. That's very strange, but i still don't know where to dig next :/

2020-08-18, 16:12:38
Reply #10

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
    • My Models
What about "Backup on save" check box in the same place where "Compress on save" is located?

It's turned ON, but i think it was always like that. If i'm not mistaken "backup on save" is turned on by default. I will try to turn it off and see if that makes a difference, but wouldn't it be unsafe to keep it at OFF permanently?

2020-08-18, 18:25:07
Reply #11

Bormax

• Active Users
    • View Profile
wouldn't it be unsafe to keep it at OFF permanently?
I have/had it always OFF, didn't have problem with this (hope will not have problems in future)). I use script to have autosave history separately for each scene I work on, I found this script very useful and really safe, especially if you work with multiple scenes at the same time during the day, weeks or months.

2020-08-18, 18:32:12
Reply #12

pokoy

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I think I saw a related problem somewhere in another place where Windows defender would cause a similar behaviour. You can turn it off only to test it and then add an exception for the max task.

2020-08-18, 19:03:49
Reply #13

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
    • My Models
I think I saw a related problem somewhere in another place where Windows defender would cause a similar behaviour. You can turn it off only to test it and then add an exception for the max task.

That could be it! I tried to turn defender off, but it didn't helped, so i turned it back on, but that's only half of the story. Soon aftert that, 3ds max crashed and after i restarted it, saving times are now back to normal. Hallelujah! I'm not going to change anything now, but if the issue will return, i will look how i can add exception on 3ds max. Thanks a bunch pokoy, you saved my day! :]

2020-08-19, 12:35:27
Reply #14

pokoy

• Active Users
    • View Profile

That could be it! I tried to turn defender off, but it didn't helped, so i turned it back on, but that's only half of the story. Soon aftert that, 3ds max crashed and after i restarted it, saving times are now back to normal. Hallelujah! I'm not going to change anything now, but if the issue will return, i will look how i can add exception on 3ds max. Thanks a bunch pokoy, you saved my day! :]

Glad it helped! I remember seeing a similar thread where it appeared out of the blue, for some reason Win defender decided to give Max some special attention :D

It might be actually good to see if it helps on my side, too, I sometimes see increased saving time without a reason... maybe it's exactly this.