Author Topic: Textures and performance  (Read 2655 times)

2020-06-10, 12:22:11

ianosss

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hi, Sorry probably a bit of a basic question, but what is the best image format for textures in Corona render? Jpg, png, Tiff? Should I be using jpg as the file size is smaller? I noticed using an 8k tiff file it increased render times.
« Last Edit: 2020-06-11, 16:44:43 by maru »

2020-06-10, 14:41:34
Reply #1

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
  • Let's move this topic, shall we?
    • View Profile
    • My Models
Hi,
Texture format itself, shouldn't make any noticeable difference to Corona performance. If you see increased render times, then maybe there's other factors in play, like texture resolution, or bit depth?

JPG is good format for saving disk space, but you need keep in mind its limitations. Most important to know is that JPG is lossy format, meaning that it will degrade image quality to some degree. This is not crucial in most cases, but there is some cases, where JPG should be avoided - you would never want to save normal and displacement maps to JPG. I would recommend to save everything to PNG, or TIF (both formats are good for textures), unless disk space is an issue. Just remember, if you already have textures in JPG format, there's no reason to resave them to other formats - you won't gain anything from that.
I'm not Corona Team member. Everything i say, is my personal opinion only.
My Models | My Videos | My Pictures

2020-06-10, 19:02:28
Reply #2

ianosss

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Thanks for the info, much appreciated. It was just in the preparing scene data stage that the texture was affecting. It took 13 seconds with the texture on and 7 seconds without.

2020-06-10, 19:22:44
Reply #3

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
  • Let's move this topic, shall we?
    • View Profile
    • My Models
Textures takes time to lad into RAM. The bigger the texture(-s), the more time it takes. It also depends on your disk's speed and health. Nevertheless, appart from scene parsing, rendering should not be affected by texture format.
I'm not Corona Team member. Everything i say, is my personal opinion only.
My Models | My Videos | My Pictures