Author Topic: Autodesk Softimage EOL  (Read 15430 times)

2014-03-05, 11:55:17
Reply #15

Snikon

• Active Users
    • View Profile
monster as Avtodesk never thrown on the street such as product 3c max, too much time and money has been invested in it, and popularity in the world is very high, so do not worry :)

2014-03-05, 12:26:14
Reply #16

Utroll

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Release code and create a competitor for themselves? Heh, autodesk would never do that

If they could not make it sustainable why should a competitor succeed ? :)

In a utopic world that's how it should be, or you sell it, or you give it...
So you don't have to take care of it till end of time, and clients may hire dev and adapt to futur standard along specific needs.

Trashing it is just like destroying tons of unsold food from supermarket,
... Autodesk is just more and more perceived as crappy and they have some competitors, they should think about.

2014-03-05, 15:23:57
Reply #17

elindell

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Release code and create a competitor for themselves? Heh, autodesk would never do that

In a utopic world that's how it should be, or you sell it, or you give it...
So you don't have to take care of it till end of time, and clients may hire dev and adapt to futur standard along specific needs.

Trashing it is just like destroying tons of unsold food from supermarket,
... Autodesk is just more and more perceived as crappy and they have some competitors, they should think about.

I think that was the point, they bought it so they could kill it and have less competition.

This is why I think a robust standalone version of corona is important, who knows if Max is next...

2014-03-05, 15:27:19
Reply #18

Ondra

• Administrator
  • Active Users
  • Turning coffee to features since 2009
    • View Profile
Corona is ready for integration into other software/standalone. It would still have unimaginably pissed me off, though
Rendering is magic.How to get minidumps for crashed/frozen 3ds Max | Sorry for short replies, brief responses = more time to develop Corona ;)

2014-03-05, 16:47:13
Reply #19

kumodot

• Active Users
  • Corona ADDICTED and Evangelist
    • View Profile
    • Kumodot

Autodesk will not release nothing for public or private use. There´s a lot of Patents on XSI that they can "replicate" now inside their other Apps (I will not bet a single dollar on this). But They can. Before the XSI EOL they "can´t" replicate stuff (redundancy), cause it will accelerate the death of their own software, but now, they can.
    Nowadays Adesk products entered on slow development...
 As we can see,coders, almost alone can bring up to the market an almost fully featured Render (Corona). Other guys, like JokerMartini, Clovis Gay, and the ThinkBox Guys shows that Max´s Core could be bad (as everyone keep yelling) , but not THAT Bad, cause they can (and show) Incredibly fast tools made by small teams of coders, even using MaxScript, with an unbelivable Speed, running on the same, "bad",  Max´s core.
    How can 3dsmax´s core to be worst for Autodesk native tools than for those guys around the world ? Hell no.
Your Portuguese is worse than my english.
--------------------------------------------
3DGeneralist/Vfx Supervisor

2014-03-06, 12:29:34
Reply #20

vkiuru

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Wow I knew people would go to lengths hating Autodesk but this is the first time ever I've seen someone suggest a company simply donates a product to the public because "they don't need it anymore so where's the harm". It's the same thought process children have when they ask their parents "why don't we just print so much money that everyone is rich" :D

2014-03-06, 15:02:58
Reply #21

CHRiTTeR

• Active Users
    • View Profile

Ever considered the fact they didnt buy it to continue sell it but just to own the tech/patents?

2014-03-08, 22:57:46
Reply #22

Utroll

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Ever considered the fact they didnt buy it to continue sell it but just to own the tech/patents?
Ahah.. ICE in 3dsmax and Maya ? Nice. When ?

Wow I knew people would go to lengths hating Autodesk but this is the first time ever I've seen someone suggest a company simply donates a product to the public because "they don't need it anymore so where's the harm". It's the same thought process children have when they ask their parents "why don't we just print so much money that everyone is rich" :D
Well it could have been plus or less what Linus said, let's give it to everybody so everybody is rich.
And why do you call product something which will be nothing but a dead corpse ?
Filezilla, OpenOffice, Blender, VLC, or.. oh wait.. notice how Corona uses Embree which has accesssible sources while you're around :)

Anyway autodesk will provide free migration from softimage to 3ds/maya to their users so, it's already not too bad.