Author Topic: Phoenix FD Foam and Splashes playground!  (Read 28565 times)

2020-04-17, 11:26:30

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
The newest daily build of Corona Renderer supports Phoenix FD foam and splashes!

Quick how to:
- Get the newest Corona Renderer daily build (16.04 or newer) - https://coronarenderer.freshdesk.com/support/solutions/articles/5000570015
- Get the newest nightly build of Phoenix FD (6.4.2020 or newer)* - https://forums.chaosgroup.com/forum/phoenix-fd/phoenix-fd-general/956950-how-to-get-nightly-builds
*Older versions of Phoenix FD are supported too, but may not work correctly with Corona's interactive rendering (glitches, freezing, crashes), and may not contain some other bugfixes.
- Load an existing Phoenix FD simulation or create a new one - https://docs.chaosgroup.com/display/PHX4MAX/Example+Scenes
- Make sure that Foam and Splashes are enabled in the Phoenix FD object and start the simulation (or resimulation) - https://docs.chaosgroup.com/display/PHX4MAX/Liquid+Foam
- Apply any material to your liquid mesh (preferably some kind of liquid ;) )
- Optionally: adjust the settings of your Foam and Splashes particle shader objects
- Optionally: enable motion blur in your Corona Camera - it's supported for both the liquid mesh and foam/splashes!
- Optionally: enable caustics to become the cool kid - https://coronarenderer.freshdesk.com/support/solutions/articles/12000056738
- Render!

Full V6 changelog: https://forum.corona-renderer.com/index.php?topic=26830.0
Get the daily build here: https://coronarenderer.freshdesk.com/support/solutions/articles/5000570015

« Last Edit: 2021-07-21, 17:58:42 by maru »
Marcin Miodek | chaos-corona.com
3D Support Team Lead - Corona | contact us

2020-04-17, 11:44:15
Reply #1

Flavius

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hello there!

I am reposting my tests here as well. So glad this has been implemented. I have some questions:

1.The foam and splashes are rendered as an atmoshperic effect and not as geometry,right? If so, is it possible to have a element with that? Like V-ray has "V-ray Atmospheric" ? I would like to have all the foam particles in a separate element, that would be very helpful !

2. Is there anyway to get motion vectors out of it? Or is that possible only if the foam particles are rendered as geometry (which I know it is available in Vray) ? Any ideas how I can add motion blur in Fusion, but ONLY to the foam?

3. The displacement used in Phoenix Simulator... Is that being handled differently by Phoenix and not by Corona? I am asking this because Corona's displacement is far superior(literally cutting edge quality ). If I apply the same Phoenix FD ocean tex map to a simple plane with corona displacement and the exact same map to the Phoenix FD ocean mesh simulator, the phoenix one looks really bad. And even if I increase the ocean subdivision it takes ages to calculate and it still looks bad.  EDIT: Even if I disable displacement from the Common Tab from 3dsmax own render setup, Phoenix still renders the displacement. This I assume has something to do with Phoenix devs..but it worth trying ...if Corona could handle that displacement as it's the best in class. Ever..

Thanks a lot! And congrats for the awesome job you guys are doing!
« Last Edit: 2020-04-17, 12:07:12 by Flavius »

2020-04-17, 11:52:37
Reply #2

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
@Flavius - I'll try to get the answers for you ASAP! :)

2020-04-17, 12:23:00
Reply #3

Flavius

• Active Users
    • View Profile
@Flavius - I'll try to get the answers for you ASAP! :)

Thanks!! The most crucial thing is, if Corona can handle the displacement. Hopefully it is not difficult to do. I have high hopes on this

2020-04-17, 14:54:21
Reply #4

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
Hello there!

I am reposting my tests here as well. So glad this has been implemented. I have some questions:

1.The foam and splashes are rendered as an atmoshperic effect and not as geometry,right? If so, is it possible to have a element with that? Like V-ray has "V-ray Atmospheric" ? I would like to have all the foam particles in a separate element, that would be very helpful !

2. Is there anyway to get motion vectors out of it? Or is that possible only if the foam particles are rendered as geometry (which I know it is available in Vray) ? Any ideas how I can add motion blur in Fusion, but ONLY to the foam?

3. The displacement used in Phoenix Simulator... Is that being handled differently by Phoenix and not by Corona? I am asking this because Corona's displacement is far superior(literally cutting edge quality ). If I apply the same Phoenix FD ocean tex map to a simple plane with corona displacement and the exact same map to the Phoenix FD ocean mesh simulator, the phoenix one looks really bad. And even if I increase the ocean subdivision it takes ages to calculate and it still looks bad.  EDIT: Even if I disable displacement from the Common Tab from 3dsmax own render setup, Phoenix still renders the displacement. This I assume has something to do with Phoenix devs..but it worth trying ...if Corona could handle that displacement as it's the best in class. Ever..

Thanks a lot! And congrats for the awesome job you guys are doing!

Here is the current situation:

ad 1) The foam is rendered as geometry, we don't have anything like the V-ray atmospheric effects. But we can add some render element that contains only directly seen foam.

ad 2) Except for the points mode, where motion blur is handled directly by Phoenix FD, we handle motion blur ourselves the same way as the rest of the geometry. So velocity element should work (unless it is somehow broken for foam, we will check this).

ad 3) Displacement of the volumetric media and liquid is handled by Phoenix. We get the already displaced mesh/volume. Not sure if some improvement would be possible here, but we can look into it.

I'll log all of this, and we will do what we can.

2020-04-17, 15:02:23
Reply #5

Flavius

• Active Users
    • View Profile

1. !!Outstanding!! A Render element to contain only directly seen foam would be really really nice! This would help a lot compositing jobs and fine tuning the look!

2. Ok, so the checkbox in Phoenix Foam - Render as geometry (vray only) is basically ON by default in Corona. Good to know, then motion vectors should be fine then. I will test this soon.

3. I am testing this right now and I can say that Phoenix displacement is incredibly slow and it eats HUGE amounts of RAM. So if Corona could handle this, hats off to you all!

Thanks a lot for this!

2020-04-19, 10:58:51
Reply #6

Flavius

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hello!
some things I am discovering and hopefully will be implemented

1.I have noticed that the cutter geometry function from the Foam Shader is not working with Corona at the moment. I think it is a very usefull option.  Will you guys implement this? I really hope so :)

2."We do not support separate environment map for PhoenixFD Foam. Particles will use the same environment map(s) as the rest of the scene geometry." This one as well pretty please? - EDIT: I found a workaround this so probably not so important
« Last Edit: 2020-04-19, 22:39:41 by Flavius »

2020-04-21, 13:35:32
Reply #7

filippo.previtali

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hi all.
Foam and splashes available in Corona are awesome!
I was wondering....does anyone know a workaround to make the wetmap working with Corona?

thanks a lot!

F

2020-04-22, 15:18:47
Reply #8

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
@Flavius - weird, but I am getting opposite results to yours. The large plane below is using Phoenix displacement, and the smaller plane above is using Corona Displacement. You can check out the scene and rendering here.
Could you send me a similar scene, where you are getting the reverse results?

2020-04-22, 16:34:07
Reply #9

thilima3d

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Thi Lima - 3D, Consulting & Online School

2020-04-22, 22:12:18
Reply #10

paofos

• Users
    • View Profile
Bellissimo, ho provato ma non riesco a fare della bella schiuma e ci vuole tanto tempo per calcolarlo, qualcuno potrebbe darmi qualche info per renderlo più veloce grazie[/img]

all this is very nice but it would be possible to have parameters to have a good foam and without having a lot of calculation time and with a good resolution, someone could help, thanks
« Last Edit: 2020-04-23, 09:26:42 by maru »

2020-04-23, 09:27:44
Reply #11

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
all this is very nice but it would be possible to have parameters to have a good foam and without having a lot of calculation time and with a good resolution, someone could help, thanks

I believe this is a general Phoenix question. Did you check their documentation? It's really great!
https://docs.chaosgroup.com/display/PHX4MAX/Phoenix+FD+for+3ds+Max+Help

2020-04-27, 10:41:58
Reply #12

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
Looks what's coming up! (should be in the next Corona daily / Phoenix nightly)
« Last Edit: 2020-04-27, 11:37:47 by maru »

2020-04-27, 12:45:58
Reply #13

Flavius

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Looks what's coming up! (should be in the next Corona daily / Phoenix nightly)

!!! Just great !!!

2020-04-29, 13:40:35
Reply #14

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
2."We do not support separate environment map for PhoenixFD Foam. Particles will use the same environment map(s) as the rest of the scene geometry." This one as well pretty please? - EDIT: I found a workaround this so probably not so important

Sorry, but most probably this won't happen, because:
- it's adding unnecessary physical incorrectness
- it would be hard to implement in Corona, and might introduce some further issues

Can you tell me what is the workaround you eventually used? This could help other users.