Author Topic: Copy + Paste in VFB - what bit depth?  (Read 1607 times)

2020-03-08, 17:50:04

jms.lwly

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • jms.lwly studio
This may be answered elsewhere, but couldn't find it...

When copy and pasting directly from the VFB, what bit depth is captured? I assume it's only 8-bit, but was wondering the difference if I copy and paste into a 16-bit Photoshop file...?

I could be entirely misunderstanding something completely - if so, feel free to re-educate me.

2020-10-12, 19:48:57
Reply #1

jms.lwly

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • jms.lwly studio
Just wondered if anyone had any thoughts or experience on this?

Does Copy+Paste retain the highest level of image data from Corona?
Is it only related to where you Paste the data (e.g. if I paste into an 8bit Photoshop file it'd be 8bit, vs pasting into a 16bit file)?

To be fair, I can't seem to find an answer anywhere about data retention of Copy+Paste / Clipboard anywhere (e.g. within Photoshop, in Windows, in macOS) - it literally seems to be a mystery that nobody is able to clarify.

Adobe won't even confirm if Copy+Paste from one 16bit PSD to another 16bit PSD retains all the data...

2020-10-12, 20:08:01
Reply #2

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
  • Let's move this topic, shall we?
    • View Profile
    • My Models
I think 3ds max native VFB is cloned in 8 bits, not sure about Corona though.
I'm not Corona Team member. Everything i say, is my personal opinion only.
My Models | My Videos | My Pictures

2020-10-13, 11:37:20
Reply #3

jms.lwly

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • jms.lwly studio
It seems like a mystery to everyone! Adobe Support said they think that Copy + Paste within Photoshop will retain the highest level of bit depth possible, but couldn't back it up with any documentation... and I don't know how/when the native OS clipboard interfaces with software/app clipboard.

For now I'll have to assume that every form of Copy+Paste will downsample to 8bit.

2020-10-13, 12:40:55
Reply #4

TomG

• Administrator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
Could find out via experimentation - paste into Photoshop (say) and adjust Exposure, then you'll soon know whether or not the copy-paste was 8 bit or preserved the full data range :)
Tom Grimes | chaos-corona.com
Product Manager | contact us