Author Topic: 3ds max + Corona + Windows = Finally good performance  (Read 13502 times)

2020-03-09, 16:46:06
Reply #15

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile

Nothing but a total rewrite or a miracle can fix this.
I don't think a miracle without a rewrite would help.
Marcin Miodek | chaos-corona.com
3D Support Team Lead - Corona | contact us

2020-03-10, 14:44:25
Reply #16

Vlad_the_rant

• Former Corona Team Member
  • Active Users
  • Vladimir
    • View Profile
You never know :)
Autodesk hasn't been known much for miracles but they DO happen :)

2020-03-10, 15:50:14
Reply #17

Giona

• Primary Certified Instructor
  • Active Users
  • 3D - MTB - Photography
    • View Profile
    • Giona Andreani 3D Visualization
Hi guys, do you know any other tips to improve 3dsmax stability and speed with Win10 Pro?

I remember reading something that Windows 10 does when an application crash frequently, and it try to solve the problem running the app in a sort of compatibility mode the next time you open it.

I recently built a new workstation and I want to optimize it as much as possible :)

2020-03-10, 16:51:49
Reply #18

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
I remember reading something that Windows 10 does when an application crash frequently, and it try to solve the problem running the app in a sort of compatibility mode the next time you open it.

That's FTH - thankfully Corona catches it when FTH includes 3ds Max or related processes and warns about it. My suggestion is to always disable it fully. :)
See: https://coronarenderer.freshdesk.com/support/solutions/articles/5000678431

2020-03-11, 12:14:17
Reply #19

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
I think it's time for definite "Setting up Windows 10 for (rendering) work" write-up :- ).

It's getting hard to even remember it all, setting it all from ground up after every re-install is pain.
I was huge fan of Windows 10 originally, but it's becoming far too candy-crush optimized.
Please follow my new Instagram for latest projects, tips&tricks, short video tutorials and free models
Behance  Probably best updated portfolio of my work
lysfaere.com Please check the new stuff!

2020-03-11, 12:48:44
Reply #20

Giona

• Primary Certified Instructor
  • Active Users
  • 3D - MTB - Photography
    • View Profile
    • Giona Andreani 3D Visualization

That's FTH - thankfully Corona catches it when FTH includes 3ds Max or related processes and warns about it. My suggestion is to always disable it fully. :)
See: https://coronarenderer.freshdesk.com/support/solutions/articles/5000678431

Thanks Marcin!

I think it's time for definite "Setting up Windows 10 for (rendering) work" write-up :- ).

It's getting hard to even remember it all, setting it all from ground up after every re-install is pain.
I was huge fan of Windows 10 originally, but it's becoming far too candy-crush optimized.

I totally agree!
Are you going to write it? :)

2020-03-11, 16:15:33
Reply #21

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
Remember the old Windows XP "patchers" that would remove the arrow icon from shortcuts, etc? Maybe we should just ship something similar with Corona installer. :)

2020-03-12, 11:01:08
Reply #22

Charlie Nicols

• Active Users
    • View Profile
It would be really helpful to have some kind of automated setup to make your max/corona/windows environment work better.

2020-03-12, 17:44:16
Reply #23

arqrenderz

• Active Users
  • https://www.behance.net/Arqrenderz1
    • View Profile
    • arqrenderz
The windows defender trick is doing something here, I would have to measure thing up but the placebo effect must be high, material editor, rendering starts are working faster.

2020-03-12, 18:11:32
Reply #24

iancamarillo

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I tried setting the windows defender antivirus to disabled in the local group policy editor but didn't notice anything. Do I need to also turn off the windows firewall?
On a side note, after I disabled defender qtwebengineprocess.exe started running in the background and maxed out 128gb of ram. I deleted the 3ds max install folder, which contains qtwebengineprocess.exe, sitting on my desktop and that problem went away. But I think it's unrelated to disabling the defender antivirus.

2020-04-13, 15:11:51
Reply #25

1equals2

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I would like to add few additional insights, although not specifically related to the "Defender" thing.
Still using one machine here, but noticed considerable decrease in performance and stability after several Windows 10 updates, which occurred around end of March.
It was mostly related to 3ds max instability, frequent freezes which eventually influenced Corona experience.
Made investigation as read a post somewhere that the following windows 10 updates "B4535996, KB4540673 and KB4551762" can cause some serious trouble.
Happened to have had  installed the latter and after removing it - back to normal.

Completely support the idea that we need to organize a windows 10/3ds max file or note where to put most common software related stuff that might be the real culprit behind some of the issues people are experiencing.
I am personally working from a network and almost every single file becomes  quite slow at certain point. Trying to avoid keeping multiple 3ds max instances opened as well, but... avoiding is not a solution. :)
Still using 3ds max 2018.3 but it is bit sluggish in UI, bit slow and more unstable than 3ds max 2018. Tempted to try most recent versions, but really do not want to go down the rabbit hole.

Other places to find the work of Angel Kostov
https://www.instagram.com/1equals2/
https://www.behance.net/ARCHO