Author Topic: What would be the correct way to blend 2 normal maps together?  (Read 4663 times)

2019-09-26, 16:33:36

Jpjapers

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I have a fabric normal map and a wrinkes normal map and keep finding myself needing both.
What would the correct Gamma and blend mode be to mix them properly?

2019-09-26, 21:30:54
Reply #1

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
  • Let's move this topic, shall we?
    • View Profile
    • My Models
In photoshop we use overlay to blend multiple normal maps, so the same should work in 3ds max too.
I'm not Corona Team member. Everything i say, is my personal opinion only.
My Models | My Videos | My Pictures

2019-09-26, 22:25:54
Reply #2

Jpjapers

• Active Users
    • View Profile
In photoshop we use overlay to blend multiple normal maps, so the same should work in 3ds max too.

Would I need to load them gamma 1.0 yes?

2019-09-27, 10:36:30
Reply #3

jms.lwly

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • jms.lwly studio
The Corona Material library actually has some materials with blended Normal maps (e.g. Fabrics).

They tend to go Bitmap -> Mix -> Corona Normal -> Triplanar (if required)

2019-09-27, 16:47:12
Reply #4

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
I think just blending them with 50/50 transparency should work fine, without any special blending modes.
Gamma should be the same as when loading just a single bitmap (so the brightness of the flat blue areas should not change).
Marcin Miodek | chaos-corona.com
3D Support Team Lead - Corona | contact us

2019-09-27, 18:10:05
Reply #5

Ricky Johnson

• Active Users
    • View Profile
There is supposed to be a technically correct method that requires treating each channel separately.
Lots of guides are available for different applications - Like this one: https://www.moddb.com/groups/udk-developers-group/tutorials/photoshop-combining-normal-maps
I don't know if the same set up could be replicated within a material in 3ds max - it would be complicated. The blend mode overlay always looked okay to me for a simpler set up.

2019-09-27, 23:52:35
Reply #6

Jpjapers

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Thanks for the information everyone :) I would have thought using a 50/50 mix would half the intensity of both maps overall so the strength might need to be doubled. I have an idea on how to do the photoashop method in max. It might be complete overkill and yield the same results but damn its got me curious to see if it can be done.

2019-09-30, 00:11:29
Reply #7

arqrenderz

• Active Users
  • https://www.behance.net/Arqrenderz1
    • View Profile
    • arqrenderz
I make a  corona normal and in the additional slot i put another corona normal map (is it bad?)

2019-09-30, 10:12:40
Reply #8

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
  • Let's move this topic, shall we?
    • View Profile
    • My Models
I make a  corona normal and in the additional slot i put another corona normal map (is it bad?)

My feeling is, that it's really wrong, but it would be interesting to compare it to overlay blending method and see how it looks.
I'm not Corona Team member. Everything i say, is my personal opinion only.
My Models | My Videos | My Pictures

2019-10-01, 09:16:24
Reply #9

mantaskava

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Until recently I've just mixed them both with 50/50 (maps loaded as gamma 1) method and after that bumped up the strength from default value of "1" to "2" to compensate for the loss.
But now I got confused after watching some of the Adan Martin videos. Where he's disabling one's of the maps blue channel before mixing them, link to that video (and exact part) here- https://youtu.be/vAHLNq77jUs?t=1849

Anyone has any explanations/comments on this?