Author Topic: IR Is Mostly Unusable At Least for Macs  (Read 6026 times)

2019-08-09, 20:10:46

BigAl3D

• Active Users
    • View Profile
As much as I love Corona and the images it can produce, sometimes I feel like I'm still using the Beta, except now I'm paying for it.

On ANY Mac in our studio, the Interactive Render window will eventually crash C4D EVERY time. This happens on a range of Macs from the thin bezel iMacs with i7s, Mac Pro Trashcans™ with E5 chips, to the iMac Pro Xeon W chips. MacOS Sierra to the latest OS. 32 GB RAM up to 128 GB RAM. I mean EVERY time it crashes. I recently used it for a very "long" time without a crash... about 10 minutes. These crashes just make C4D disappear instantly with no spinning beachball and no crash report or recovery scene file. Very frustrating that I can't use a major feature of this software so I can see my lighting in real-time like Max users can, or Octane users, or Redshift users or even Cycles users. I assume V-Ray too.

I can't really upload a scene since every project has this issue and I believe it's all Corona and not the machines or C4D. Cinema is the most stable software I've ever used.

I just tried turning OFF Motion Blur in IR and turning ON Path Tracing, both of which are on be default. The IR was more stable, but did crash after 30 min. just playing with some light settings. I guess I'll try with the non-daily build of v4, but I'm not getting my hopes up.

Full-speed non-debug version
Build timestamp: Jun 17 2019 18:39:41
Version: 4.0 (core 4)
Cinema version: R20.059 CINEMA 4D Studio

2019-08-09, 20:22:34
Reply #1

TomG

• Administrator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
The scenes may be useful, because there are a lot of Mac users, and if this was happening every 10 minutes for all of them, I think we'd see more reports - so taking a look at the kinds of scenes you are working with could be very useful. There could be anything that you do as a standard that other folks are not doing (could be anything from shaders being used, to certain types of objects, or anything really). The more info we can get, the better the chance that we can find out what is happening and fixing it!

BTW, I would use the hotfix released on Jul 3rd, as always good to use the latest official version.
Tom Grimes | chaos-corona.com
Product Manager | contact us

2019-08-09, 20:56:12
Reply #2

BigAl3D

• Active Users
    • View Profile
OK, I will collect and upload my current scene to the private uploader and reference this thread.

Here is the system crash report I just got for this scene.

2019-08-09, 21:09:43
Reply #3

TomG

• Administrator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
Thank you for the scene, and the crash report! Sorry for the ongoing frustrations, but hopefully with these extra pieces to the puzzle, we can track down what is going on (and fix it, of course :) )
Tom Grimes | chaos-corona.com
Product Manager | contact us

2019-08-09, 21:54:54
Reply #4

BigAl3D

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Scene file uploaded.

This is the version I'm now running.

Full-speed non-debug version
Build timestamp: Jul  3 2019 10:49:57
Version: 4 hotfix 1 (core 4 (Hotfix 1))
Cinema version: R20.059 CINEMA 4D Studio (single-license)

2019-08-13, 11:02:06
Reply #5

Nikola

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
Hi Al,

thank you for the crash report. According to it, the crash occurs in the graphics driver, not in the Corona. Could I ask you what were you doing when the crash occurred, were you changing post-processing parameters because according to crash report Corona is not even rendering?

Thank you
Nikola