Author Topic: Corona saving layered EXR on render end  (Read 42458 times)

2019-09-02, 19:19:23
Reply #15

denisgo22

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Yes this always max problem/and this always happened with corona render  and whether to use backburner or not, because what file extension will be in Common/render output of 3dmax,
the same will always be in Render Elements:)
But Vray have separate from max frame buffer options, that override max options for saving files , that allow to saving output files in different formats or not saving at all separately render
channels  //, for example channels in jpg and main max output to exr.
which, to a great inconvenience, not exist in Corona render:((
time to pay attention to this in a future release:))
« Last Edit: 2019-09-02, 19:42:59 by denisgo22 »

2019-09-11, 15:39:44
Reply #16

Frood

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Rakete GmbH
That's how it is set up anyway, with ZIP compression.

In your original post, you wrote, the huge(r) files are layered. What makes you think so? I still bet the render elements you've shown in the screenshot are just uncompressed. Max seems to remember the exr settings at creation time of a render element. You can reproduce this doing the following (no DR or BB involved and independently from render size - even works like this using scanline renderer):

• New scene
  • Set main output to some exr without compression (press "Setup" and make sure it's switched off)
  • Add any render element, e.g. WireColor
  • Set main output to same exr but press "Setup" and enable compression of your choice this time
  • Add any render element, e.g. CMasking_Mask
  • Render 4k or larger (just to better see the differences)

-> WireColor is uncompressed, Cmasking_Mask is compressed.

So what you've shown in the screenshot here could be the result of setting up the render elements on a node/at a time where exr compression was switched off for exr output and then submitting/rendering it on another node with other exr settings; compression active that is.

All in all I think there are at least three topics mixed in this thread meanwhile? To sort it out:

• Original issue with large render element files (I suspect just uncompressed EXRs, see above)
  • Issue having a layered EXR but also additionally all passes as extra EXR (that's how I misinterpreted it, cause: local settings)
  • The dependency between main output file type and render elements file type(s) as denisgo22 mentioned

As for the latter: It seems that even if you do not explicitly specify a file name/type for a render element (usually a bad idea), the exr settings at creation time get stored and are not adopted from the current main output settings. At least compression settings - have not tested others. Well, that's new to me :)

Good Luck

Never underestimate the power of a well placed level one spell.

2019-09-12, 01:34:09
Reply #17

Dan Rodgers

• Active Users
    • View Profile
That's how it is set up anyway, with ZIP compression.

In your original post, you wrote, the huge(r) files are layered. What makes you think so?

I opened with EXR.IO plugin in photoshop and each file was layered.  But tbh that looks like it was a very rare glitch, we haven't had the issue many times, and possibly could have been an issue with max.  I should have probably started a new thread about the other issue of exr file sizes all being the same...

So what you've shown in the screenshot here could be the result of setting up the render elements on a node/at a time where exr compression was switched off for exr output and then submitting/rendering it on another node with other exr settings; compression active that is.

All in all I think there are at least three topics mixed in this thread meanwhile? To sort it out:

• Original issue with large render element files (I suspect just uncompressed EXRs, see above)
  • Issue having a layered EXR but also additionally all passes as extra EXR (that's how I misinterpreted it, cause: local settings)
  • The dependency between main output file type and render elements file type(s) as denisgo22 mentioned

As for the latter: It seems that even if you do not explicitly specify a file name/type for a render element (usually a bad idea), the exr settings at creation time get stored and are not adopted from the current main output settings. At least compression settings - have not tested others. Well, that's new to me :)

I genuinely think this is a Corona issue.  In our studio, we do colour drafts at 3.5k and then final images at 6k or 7k.  The 3.5k renders are always fine and render elements have different file sizes, as you would expect, they are saved out as EXR.  The settings don't change, we change the output size to 6k/7k, render, and then we have the issue that I screenshotted, where each file is large and the exact same size.  We regularly use VRay, Redshift and sometimes FStorm in the studio and never get this issue, and we never had it before Corona 4.  Everything is setup exactly the same I we have done for the past 3-4 years.

I will try some more tests as you have mentioned though.

2019-10-14, 11:08:31
Reply #18

rowmanns

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Corona for 3ds Max QA Team
    • View Profile
Hi,

We will investigate this.

Thanks,

Rowan

(Internal ID=409573480)
Please read this before reporting bugs: How to report issues to us!
Send me your scene!

2019-10-31, 02:30:16
Reply #19

Dan Rodgers

• Active Users
    • View Profile
any news on this yet?

We are getting to a point where we have to keep clearing old renders out on a regular basis because they are eating up so much server space.  We have the same problem with TIFF files too.

Our only solution seems to be save as CXR, save out passes manually then delete cxr.

2019-10-31, 09:47:23
Reply #20

rowmanns

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
Hi Dan

We are looking into this, but so far we have been unable to reproduce this behaviour yet.

Do you have any further reproduction steps which may help us?

Thanks,

Rowan
Send me your scene!

2019-10-31, 13:14:35
Reply #21

Frood

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Rakete GmbH
we have been unable to reproduce this behaviour yet.

What exactly have you tried? Remember that you have to send the scene through Backburner/farm (another node) to at least get the effect of layered EXR+extra EXR for every render element (RE) in some cases.

Here are questions for you:

1. when using CXR as output and having additonal REs defined. Should there be a) only a single, multilayered CRX as output or b) the multilayered CXR plus additional CXRs for every RE? If b), what is it for?

2. when using EXR as output and having additional REs defined AND you have ticked "Automatically Add/Remove Render Elements" in Render Output File -> "Setup". What do you get when a) rendering locally and b) sending it through Backburner? Please use the attached script as prerender script in Render setup -> common -> scripts to log the current state of the EXR output settings on the node(s) into max.log. My findings are: it depends on local settings (that's what the script reports, don't worry it does not change anything). This should never be the case.

Good Luck

Never underestimate the power of a well placed level one spell.

2019-10-31, 14:22:48
Reply #22

rowmanns

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
we have been unable to reproduce this behaviour yet.

What exactly have you tried? Remember that you have to send the scene through Backburner/farm (another node) to at least get the effect of layered EXR+extra EXR for every render element (RE) in some cases.

Here are questions for you:

1. when using CXR as output and having additonal REs defined. Should there be a) only a single, multilayered CRX as output or b) the multilayered CXR plus additional CXRs for every RE? If b), what is it for?

2. when using EXR as output and having additional REs defined AND you have ticked "Automatically Add/Remove Render Elements" in Render Output File -> "Setup". What do you get when a) rendering locally and b) sending it through Backburner? Please use the attached script as prerender script in Render setup -> common -> scripts to log the current state of the EXR output settings on the node(s) into max.log. My findings are: it depends on local settings (that's what the script reports, don't worry it does not change anything). This should never be the case.

Good Luck

I have done some testing this week. And for far it seems to save out correctly. i.e. I have one layered exr and then a seperate exr for each element which are the correct sizes.

The answer to this is b). I get a multilayered cxr + an additional element for each render element. Honestly I don't know why it is like this and there is already a feature request logged to change this behaviour.

(Internal ID=403268985)

I will get back to you on this after I have had the chance to do some more testing.

Cheers.
Send me your scene!

2019-11-01, 02:22:35
Reply #23

Dan Rodgers

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hi Dan

We are looking into this, but so far we have been unable to reproduce this behaviour yet.

Do you have any further reproduction steps which may help us?

Thanks,

Rowan

Well, that's annoying.  I have no idea how you're going to reproduce the issue then.

We just submit the job as normal to BB and the render is spat out a while later, there's no script or special process that we follow, we just use max's native functions.

2019-11-01, 10:40:35
Reply #24

rowmanns

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
Well, that's annoying.  I have no idea how you're going to reproduce the issue then.

We just submit the job as normal to BB and the render is spat out a while later, there's no script or special process that we follow, we just use max's native functions.

Hi,

Which versions of Max and backburner are you using? I couldn't see this info in the thread..

Rowan
Send me your scene!

2019-11-06, 01:16:44
Reply #25

Dan Rodgers

• Active Users
    • View Profile

Hi,

Which versions of Max and backburner are you using? I couldn't see this info in the thread..

Rowan

Max 2018.4

Just spotted our backburner manager hasn't been updated from 2016 to 2018.  I'm going to update now and I'll let you know if that fixes it
« Last Edit: 2019-11-06, 01:58:33 by Dan Rodgers »

2019-11-06, 03:32:38
Reply #26

Dan Rodgers

• Active Users
    • View Profile
didn't fix it..   

so we are not running max 2018.4 and BB 2018.

2019-11-06, 10:53:57
Reply #27

rowmanns

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
Hi Dan,

Thanks for the info. I had been using 2019. I will install the exact versions you are using and see if I can reproduce it.

Rowan
Send me your scene!

2019-11-07, 13:33:31
Reply #28

rowmanns

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
Hi Dan,

Can you send me a screenshot of your file save settings for exr?

Thanks,

Rowan
Send me your scene!

2019-11-14, 03:15:24
Reply #29

Dan Rodgers

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hi Dan,

Can you send me a screenshot of your file save settings for exr?

Thanks,

Rowan

They should just be default, the only thing I change is every now and then I use full-float