Author Topic: DR with backburner  (Read 1486 times)

2019-04-18, 14:35:24

Rhodesy

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Am I right in thinking that its not possible to use DR with backburner, rendering a single image? You either have to use DR that includes the host workstation OR backburner with a single node rendering the image but you can still use your workstation?

2019-04-18, 14:39:56
Reply #1

TomG

• Administrator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
You can use both in combination, so that render nodes all work on a single image while the master machine you are working on is not involved in rendering. Run the DRServer on all machines that will contribute to rendering, enable "Use DR" in the scene render settings, and submit the job on Backburner to just one of the nodes (never done it myself, so I think that's all that's required). That node will then render the job, using DR (so calling in the other nodes through Corona DR, to contribute to rendering the image).
Tom Grimes | chaos-corona.com
Product Manager | contact us

2019-04-18, 15:34:25
Reply #2

Rhodesy

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Oh right thanks Tom, I'll give that a try.

2019-04-18, 17:01:01
Reply #3

Frood

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Rakete GmbH
Hmm, this may fail depending on how you usually have setup DR. If you use "search lan" you end up with a backburner slave (the one who gets the job) rendering with 2 max instances the same scene at the same time :). One instance would be the "master" scene and the other the spawned max from DrServer.

So either the backburner node (which gets the job) should have no drserver running when it acts as master or (preferably imho) you name the dr nodes explicitly in DR IP/Hostname and exclude the node who will get the bb job there.

Good Luck

Never underestimate the power of a well placed level one spell.

2019-04-18, 17:20:40
Reply #4

TomG

• Administrator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
Good point! I always manually set up the list of nodes in DR (with search during render off) so didn't think of that.
Tom Grimes | chaos-corona.com
Product Manager | contact us

2019-04-18, 17:42:36
Reply #5

Frood

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Rakete GmbH
I always manually set up the list of nodes in DR

Yes, this. I don't know if it would be a good idea to have the master detect automatically whether it will be using itself as slave and adjust the slave list accordingly. I was about to request this several times (not for me as I never use search lan). But I'd better wait until DR gets to some rock-stable point again - too many issues with handling slaves/ip adresses/name resolution and multiple interfaces+broadcasts right now.

Good Luck

Never underestimate the power of a well placed level one spell.