Author Topic: jms.lwly | work in progress, tests, ideas...  (Read 7888 times)

2019-04-10, 19:24:09

jms.lwly

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • jms.lwly studio
Thought I'd start a thread to share some test projects which may or may not ever get finished...

First up has a nordic flavour, mainly to try different landscape techniques etc and also play with Film LUTs in the VFB.
The water/sea/lake is entirely procedural, still needs some work but it's getting there.

There's also a few quirky uses of Corona Distance Texmap, for the graduated ground material (which transitions from wet sand, to dry sand, to harder ground linked to the distance from the water) - and also creating the displacement of the small waves at the edge of the land.

Probably more to follow, when I have time to revisit.

2019-04-11, 14:41:06
Reply #1

bluebox

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Like this stuff. Will follow :)

2019-04-11, 18:22:45
Reply #2

burnin

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Just... that fire (Cam06).
It gives it off, since it's too large for that seating "hole" (nobody could seat nowhere near it & would most probably also damage the wooden decking) + smoke abruptly ends (if it is dissipating fast, dynamic fire would show blurred - assuming you're goal is mimicking photography).
Otherwise, very natural ambience. Do keep working on it. 
« Last Edit: 2019-04-11, 18:30:16 by burnin »

2019-04-12, 10:53:43
Reply #3

jms.lwly

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • jms.lwly studio
It gives it off, since it's too large for that seating "hole" (nobody could seat nowhere near it & would most probably also damage the wooden decking) + smoke abruptly ends (if it is dissipating fast, dynamic fire would show blurred - assuming you're goal is mimicking photography).

Agreed - the fire was just a quick test of OpenVDB fire/smoke, definitely needs to be smaller + more smokey.

2019-04-22, 14:38:42
Reply #4

jms.lwly

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • jms.lwly studio
Couple of grey matte renders to accompany the above tests.

J

2019-04-26, 18:36:11
Reply #5

jms.lwly

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • jms.lwly studio
More little tests, this time as an offshoot of a recent commissioned project. Had to model/map these cider bottles for a different purpose (which I'll pop here at some point), so thought it was worth making a little test advertising piece too.

2019-07-23, 18:42:18
Reply #6

jms.lwly

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • jms.lwly studio
Been tinkering with this side project for a while (based on a design by HIL Architects) - mainly wanted to produce something a bit darker than my usual...

It might eventually become an animation - depends on time (both time to complete, and time to render animation frames...)

I also screen recorded a few hours when I started the project, so that could pop up somewhere too.

2019-09-06, 13:29:46
Reply #7

jms.lwly

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • jms.lwly studio
Quick studio / product practice - the liquid particularly needs more work (both the model and materials), but it was a useful exercise.

2019-09-06, 14:17:11
Reply #8

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
  • Let's move this topic, shall we?
    • View Profile
    • My Models
I think metal looks very bland. Try to search for more interesting enviroment for reflections. Also, i'm not sure about that rose tint...
I'm not Corona Team member. Everything i say, is my personal opinion only.
My Models | My Videos | My Pictures

2019-09-06, 14:45:11
Reply #9

jms.lwly

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • jms.lwly studio
I think metal looks very bland.

I was going for subtle... it's a fine line between minimal and bland!

2019-09-15, 23:03:21
Reply #10

cjwidd

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Artstation
I think the thing that strikes me the most is the radius on the edges of the metlware, I would think it would be rounder (softer)(?)

The powder from the coffee is really cool :D

2019-09-16, 10:29:29
Reply #11

jms.lwly

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • jms.lwly studio
I think the thing that strikes me the most is the radius on the edges of the metlware, I would think it would be rounder (softer)(?)

Yeah, you're right - I think something weird may have happened with CoronaRoundEdges x Displace/Normal on some of the edges, as they previously looked softer (and some look softer than others!).

2019-12-12, 11:39:55
Reply #12

jms.lwly

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • jms.lwly studio
Couple of quick furniture crops while gathering models for an interior project. If you haven't already invested in maps from Texture Supply, I would strongly recommend.

Mapping on the chair arm is wrong... I fixed it later.

2020-03-18, 13:29:14
Reply #13

jms.lwly

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • jms.lwly studio
Quick crop render from a commercial interior project... spotted some facetting on the chair which is annoying in retrospect haha