Author Topic: Render Farm  (Read 1992 times)

2019-04-04, 18:17:39

GiulioT

• Users
    • View Profile
Hi community ! About 2 years ago, we switched from vray to corona and now it`s our main renderer.
We have some PC`s with core i7 4gen and some PC`s with dual xeon E5 2670, each one of them with 32gb of ram and gtx 780.
All of these computers are being used for modelling, rendering, post processing, etc.
We are now rendering some videos and we`re having high demand for projects. All of our final images are rendered in 4500 resolution and videos in 1080p.
We are thinking about building a small render farm, so we can use our PC`s for small resolution renders and let the final images/videos render in the farm.
Can someone with experience with it, tell me if its hard to do this and if it the results are good ?
What are the best builds ? Since corona is cpu based, we could buy cheap gpu`s only to have video ? Should they have 32gb or 64gb of ram ? Is core i9 9900 enough or should we buy xeon`s ? Or maybe ryzen ? We need to buy a special license for this or we can only install corona trial for DR ?

Thanks for the attention !

2019-04-04, 19:13:35
Reply #1

jms.lwly

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • jms.lwly studio
Welcome!

There are a whole load of threads on the forum about building a render farm, so have a browse through and I'm sure you'll find lots of similar questions and answers!

From my personal experience - it was super easy to setup a render farm for Corona. To answer some of the questions:-

What are the best builds ? Since corona is cpu based, we could buy cheap gpu`s only to have video ? Should they have 32gb or 64gb of ram ? Is core i9 9900 enough or should we buy xeon`s ? Or maybe ryzen ? We need to buy a special license for this or we can only install corona trial for DR ?

No fixed answer on best build... definitely CPU based, all of my farm machines have a very basic GPU.

32 vs 64 RAM etc is dependant on your scenes, complexities etc - my workstation is 64GB, render nodes are 32GB - but I have once or twice found they had issues on very large scenes. Ideally go for something you could expand later if needed?

i9 vs Xeon vs Ryzen will come down to cost of build, availability, etc - my render farm has Ryzen chips in, but my workstation is Xeon... at the end of the day it's just how much CPU power you can get for your budget.

Licensing depends on how you are licensing Corona - pay monthly will have either 3, 5 or 10 render nodes per workstation licence. If you have a Box licence then you're limited to 3 nodes per workstation (I'm sure someone on staff will correct me if I'm wrong here).

2019-04-04, 20:47:14
Reply #2

TomG

• Administrator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
All correct there - the 3, 5 or 10 nodes is for monthly or yearly (any FairSaaS license). If you purchased the "standard" FairSaaS that is for 1 Workstation and 3 render nodes, so to use more for your farm you'd need to change that to the 5 or 10 option. You can always contact support to discuss the best licenses for your needs, tell them how many workstations and render nodes you have and what your current license is, and they can advise and swap you over to whatever is needed.

On GPU, you don't even need one for a pure render node, just onboard graphics will be fine (only exception is if you are submitting a single image to a render node via backburner and you want to use the NVIDIA denoisier, then you'd need a compatible NVIDIA card in that render node)

How it works is simple - run Max and the Licensing Server on your master machine, then Corona DrServer on each render node, and you are done. You will need 3ds Max installed on the render nodes, but it doesn't have to be activated and licensed, just installed (which is the legitimate way Autodesk expect you to use Backburner and network rendering). You will need the same version of Max, same version of Corona, same version of all plugins, installed on all machines.
Tom Grimes | chaos-corona.com
Product Manager | contact us

2019-04-08, 17:02:08
Reply #3

GiulioT

• Users
    • View Profile
I`m thinking about buying like 10x i9 9900k - z370 - 4x8gb 2666mhz - ssd 240gb - cx550
I was looking for the xeon 4114, but it`s very hard to find to buy here and the motherboard is too expensive