Author Topic: Glass moulding  (Read 1240 times)

2018-12-06, 15:27:13

mantaskava

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hello,

What approach would be the best to achieve something like this? (we're talking sheet of glass here)

What looks like a sheet of glass with tinted bubble of glass inside, and that tinted bubble of glass has an air bubble in itself. Wondering about both modeling and texturing parts.
Thanks!

2018-12-06, 18:19:49
Reply #1

mferster

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Here is a quick test I did.

So what you need to do is create some geometry within your glass sheet that represents the air pockets. The material for the air pocket needs to have an ior of 1.0 to represent the air inside the pocket. Apply a bump map to your "air" material to give it the distortion you need and then some absorption colour to represent the tinting inside.

for the air bubble geometry, I squashed 2 spheres, applied a noise modifier to it, then reset it's xform so it is accurate.

EDIT* Derp, just realized its another type of glass inside the sheet since the refraction is upside down. No matter just change the Ior of the inside glass bubbles to 3.4 or something like that.
« Last Edit: 2018-12-06, 22:48:11 by mferster »

2018-12-07, 08:41:49
Reply #2

mantaskava

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Here is a quick test I did.

So what you need to do is create some geometry within your glass sheet that represents the air pockets. The material for the air pocket needs to have an ior of 1.0 to represent the air inside the pocket. Apply a bump map to your "air" material to give it the distortion you need and then some absorption colour to represent the tinting inside.

for the air bubble geometry, I squashed 2 spheres, applied a noise modifier to it, then reset it's xform so it is accurate.

EDIT* Derp, just realized its another type of glass inside the sheet since the refraction is upside down. No matter just change the Ior of the inside glass bubbles to 3.4 or something like that.

Thanks, mate! Part about ior 1 was what I was missing it seems :)
It looks like I'm slowly getting there: