Author Topic: Interactive rendering - restarting/flickering  (Read 7582 times)

2018-12-04, 21:11:21

David Males

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • David Males Imagery
Hey guys,

I've asked this question on another thread but decided to ask in a post so it gets some attention, maybe someone already experienced/solved this.

I've installed Corona 3 today and am having quite an issue with interactive rendering which just keeps bugging me and makes the work on details almost impossible.. (never happened on previous versions)

Interactive rendering just keeps restarting/flickers , like after 1 pass it starts over and over again making it unusable .. I've reinstalled Corona altogether with nvidia denoiser and it helped for a moment, but after few hours it is back again ..  All the IR setting are disabled - displacement/denoising off - everything unchecked, tried both PT and UHD ..

Another problem is it doesn't happen at all times..  Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesnt...
While writing this post I've actually noticed it does work correctly when 3dsmax is in background lol - when I click on it again ist just resets and do it again..

Anyone had this issue or managed to solve it? Would be glad for any answer as I have some deadlines to manage this week (and people do not like to go back to "worse" versions).. thanks!
« Last Edit: 2018-12-04, 21:38:09 by David Males »

2018-12-06, 11:10:20
Reply #1

Martin Janousek

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • behance.net/martinjanousek

2018-12-06, 12:26:32
Reply #2

Frood

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Rakete GmbH
Another problem is it doesn't happen at all times..  Sometimes it works, sometimes it

Could you check if it depends on the state of the snaps toggle? Here it happens "only" if it is activated and while moving the mouse over the viewport. But additionally: even only pressing the move or rotate or snaps toggle button restarts IR in certain scenes, have not been able to find the cause yet.

Good Luck

Never underestimate the power of a well placed level one spell.

2018-12-06, 13:03:02
Reply #3

David Males

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • David Males Imagery
Could you check if it depends on the state of the snaps toggle? Here it happens "only" if it is activated and while moving the mouse over the viewport. But additionally: even only pressing the move or rotate or snaps toggle button restarts IR in certain scenes, have not been able to find the cause yet.
Good Luck

Quite sure it also happens when snaps toggle is turned off. Just randomely starts and keeps refreshing every 1pass or so .. It happens mostly when I play with materials and textures both in isolated and nonisolated states, but I couldn't distinguish the actuall trigger yet... I guess it could be multiple things, as I've posted in other thread dealing with similar issue I also get some error sometimes when starting Corona which never appeared before..

Also tried to reinstall 2017 dependencies and everything, still happens .. Max 2015

2018-12-06, 16:38:52
Reply #4

Frood

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Rakete GmbH
I found the cause here, had exactly the same issue some time ago but did not remember:

Some growIvy object in the scene was causing it. Workaround is to put an edit mesh modifier on top of the stack.

So are you using any special plugin? For example using a Laubwerk tree object + scene stats (7) results in 2fps in IR, something like that maybe (no constant refreshes here though).

Good Luck

2018-12-06, 20:55:13
Reply #5

HeyItsRoamer

• Users
    • View Profile
I think I might have a similar issue. Whenever I open the IR view, if I look at the bottom left of the window, there is a message flickering between parsing scene and preparing geometry. But when i click erase at the top bar, a window comes up saying if I want to clear the vfb it starts rendering properly. When i hit clear it goes back to rendering issue. I'm on corona for c4d btw.

2018-12-06, 21:33:31
Reply #6

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
  • Let's move this topic, shall we?
    • View Profile
    • My Models
@HeyltsRoamer, please report Corona for C4D related issues in appropriate board: https://forum.corona-renderer.com/index.php?board=36.0

This is Corona for 3ds Max section.
I'm not Corona Team member. Everything i say, is my personal opinion only.
My Models | My Videos | My Pictures

2018-12-06, 21:34:11
Reply #7

David Males

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • David Males Imagery
I found the cause here, had exactly the same issue some time ago but did not remember:

Some growIvy object in the scene was causing it. Workaround is to put an edit mesh modifier on top of the stack.

So are you using any special plugin? For example using a Laubwerk tree object + scene stats (7) results in 2fps in IR, something like that maybe (no constant refreshes here though).

Good Luck

Ok, I might have found the culprit .. After transforming of VrayVolumeGrid to editpoly seems like the problem is gone (for now at least:) ) Thank you for your time anyway!

2018-12-17, 12:08:32
Reply #8

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
If anyone is having similar issues (IR flickering/restarting) - please report it here https://coronarenderer.freshdesk.com/support/tickets/new and provide as much info as possible (exact Corona version, Max version, exact steps how to reproduce the issue), and also host the problematic scene if possible. More info on reporting issues: https://coronarenderer.freshdesk.com/support/solutions/articles/5000524006
Marcin Miodek | chaos-corona.com
3D Support Team Lead - Corona | contact us

2019-12-13, 09:14:05
Reply #9

cjwidd

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Artstation
I know this is an old thread - and maybe the issue has been resolved for others - but since this was the first page I encountered while searching for an answer, I thought this was as good a place as any to post my solution:

^I have also encountered the issue with gw_ivy causing the flickering in the scene and found that the issue resolved after collapsing the mesh

More recently the issue appeared after making adjustments to camera lens zoom and lens shift (perspective control). The issue resolved after turning the camera object visibility off in the scene explorer.

I hope this helps

2019-12-13, 09:35:38
Reply #10

rowmanns

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Corona for 3ds Max QA Team
    • View Profile
Hi,

We know about the issue caused by the Ivy generator plugin. Unfortunately there is nothing we can do about this because the issue lies in the ivy generator plugin and it is no longer under development.

I'm not quite sure I understand your second issue though, would you be able to provide a video or some reproduction steps please?

Thanks,

Rowan
« Last Edit: 2019-12-13, 09:51:17 by rowmanns »
Please read this before reporting bugs: How to report issues to us!
Send me your scene!

2019-12-13, 09:38:42
Reply #11

Frood

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Rakete GmbH
I know this is an old thread - and maybe the issue has been resolved for others - but since this was the first page I encountered while searching for an answer, I thought this was as good a place as any to post my solution:

Maybe this one would be the best to post issues + possible solution(s):

https://forum.corona-renderer.com/index.php?topic=26333.0

^I have also encountered the issue with gw_ivy causing the flickering in the scene and found that the issue resolved after collapsing the mesh

You don't need to. It's enough to put an EditMesh on top. This way you keep the ivy alive :)

More recently the issue appeared after making adjustments to camera lens zoom and lens shift (perspective control). The issue resolved after turning the camera object visibility off in the scene explorer.

You mean just hiding the camera?

Thanks for posting your findings btw!

Good Luck

2019-12-14, 02:51:24
Reply #12

cjwidd

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Artstation
Regarding gw_ivy, I only mention it for the sake of documenting the issue on the forum. A solution exists and works for me and presumably others and I would not consider it an open issue since it is outside the purview of the Corona Development Team.

Regarding IPR flickering, I will see if I can put together a reproduction project and share it with the Corona Development Team and post back here after doing so. Again, the issue resolves for me by hiding the camera in the Scene Explorer - Layer Explorer (object properties -> interactivity -> hide). To be sure, the issue does not persist with Corona Camera, only the physical camera in the affected project. I have not tested extensively at this time all of the available options which might be related to the issue.

2021-01-23, 10:48:38
Reply #13

Hung

• Users
    • View Profile
I found this issue happens even with Corona Camera. Fortunately, I figured out why. This happens when the option "Horizon line" in the Viewport display tab turned on. Simply turn it off and the IR rendering should work correctly again.

Cheer,

2021-01-25, 09:32:14
Reply #14

rowmanns

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Corona for 3ds Max QA Team
    • View Profile
I found this issue happens even with Corona Camera. Fortunately, I figured out why. This happens when the option "Horizon line" in the Viewport display tab turned on. Simply turn it off and the IR rendering should work correctly again.

Cheer,
Hi,

I'm unable to reproduce this still. Do you have a scene where you are able to reproduce this?

Cheers,

Rowan
Please read this before reporting bugs: How to report issues to us!
Send me your scene!

2021-07-06, 18:12:23
Reply #15

woldemarfil

• Users
    • View Profile

Cheer,

Thank you! It helped me to solve this problem