Author Topic: memory handling  (Read 4605 times)

2013-12-13, 09:53:40

vkiuru

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hi,

I'm wondering if anyone else has issues with memory handling in Corona? Sometimes I get the "WTF" error box and Max crashes even though there's still nearly 10 gigs of memory left to use. Also since I started rendering with Corona sometimes when I press "render" a Windows popup appears, telling me I'm running low on memory and Windows will force close enough programs to free more memory. I've never seen this popup before even when rendering large scenes in Vray.

FWIW, this it with Windows 7 and with 2 different rigs.

2013-12-13, 11:26:02
Reply #1

Ondra

• Administrator
  • Active Users
  • Turning coffee to features since 2009
    • View Profile
the WTF message is not necessarily memory-related, you should just post the scene where it happens
Rendering is magic.How to get minidumps for crashed/frozen 3ds Max | Sorry for short replies, brief responses = more time to develop Corona ;)

2013-12-13, 18:55:16
Reply #2

vkiuru

• Active Users
    • View Profile
This happens with different scenes, I wish I could post them but they are often over 1 gig in size and filled with bought content. Through Google I found the Windows notice I get when this happens: https://extranet.mm-software.com/FDT-Platform/FDTBlog/Lists/Photos/_w/Additional%20Out-of-memory%20warning_png.jpg again I've never had this anywhere else before Corona.

Am I really the only one getting these?

2014-02-02, 04:10:46
Reply #3

Utroll

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Never had that window's message but crashes a bunch, actually I've noticed I cannot render a scene at 4000px, it leads to a crash at the end of the initial pass plus or less. Which is bad luck as it was for a project I have to give HD on monday -_-

2014-02-02, 11:31:18
Reply #4

Nupsi

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I got the WTF-message a couple of times too. If I remember correctly, it only appears during the rendering-process, no matter if there´s still a lot of free RAM. But max also crashes whenever I delete a a distribution object before deleting the CScatter and with displacement-maps if some normals are facing inwards, but then without the WTF-message.

But still, Corona is remarkable stable - and not just for an alpha-version. I can scatter millions and millions of objects and Corona only needs a few seconds to calculate them without cramming my ram. I can´t even tell how much I love this renderer, even with the sporadic crashes! Hopefully Alpha 6 is coming soon!

2014-02-13, 20:31:50
Reply #5

Ondra

• Administrator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
I got the WTF-message a couple of times too. If I remember correctly, it only appears during the rendering-process, no matter if there´s still a lot of free RAM. But max also crashes whenever I delete a a distribution object before deleting the CScatter and with displacement-maps if some normals are facing inwards, but then without the WTF-message.

But still, Corona is remarkable stable - and not just for an alpha-version. I can scatter millions and millions of objects and Corona only needs a few seconds to calculate them without cramming my ram. I can´t even tell how much I love this renderer, even with the sporadic crashes! Hopefully Alpha 6 is coming soon!

Can you post any scene where you can replicate the crash?
Rendering is magic.How to get minidumps for crashed/frozen 3ds Max | Sorry for short replies, brief responses = more time to develop Corona ;)

2014-03-04, 20:11:39
Reply #6

Ondra

• Administrator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
possibly related bug was fixed in dailies