Author Topic: new Denoise vs. Old denoise  (Read 1899 times)

2018-10-03, 11:41:16

gpz

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hi
i'm trying dailybuild 3.

What i noticed is that with the old denoise I needed to wait 3% to clean up the image with the denoise to have a good image quality.
With the new denoise already with 10% of noise the image is quite clean.
So with the new denoise what is the limit to be able to interrupt the render and clean it up?
Does it always remain 3% or under or can you stay on higher values?

thanks
GP

2018-10-03, 12:55:00
Reply #1

TomG

• Administrator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
It's always a matter of personal choice - the lower the initial noise, the better the final result (the less softening, blurring, loss of detail or artifacts you will have, especially if you can use a lower Denoise blend amount). So basically, whatever looks good to you, for that particular scene or image!
Tom Grimes | chaos-corona.com
Product Manager | contact us

2018-10-05, 16:51:29
Reply #2

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
There are some similarities and differences between these two denoisers.

Most of all, the classic denoiser can be used in animations (provided the based image quality is good enough), and the GPU denoiser will most likely cause splotches/artifacts jumping from frame to frame.

Another thing is that the GPU denoiser is "progressive", so you can just keep rendering, and stop once you are happy.
With the CPU denoiser you have to render an image, wait for the denoising, check if the quality is good enough, and either accept it or re-render (or resume rendering).

So far we don't have exact numbers like "use 5% for GPU denoiser and 3% for CPU denoiser", and this is definitely scene-dependent.
Marcin Miodek | chaos-corona.com
3D Support Team Lead - Corona | contact us

2019-02-16, 15:59:16
Reply #3

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
The lower the initial noise, the better the final result (the less softening, blurring, loss of detail or artifacts you will have,  Most of all, the classic denoiser can be used in animations (provided the based image quality is good enough), and the GPU denoiser will most likely cause splotches/artifacts jumping from frame to frame.

Maru, this is spambot.
Please follow my new Instagram for latest projects, tips&tricks, short video tutorials and free models
Behance  Probably best updated portfolio of my work
lysfaere.com Please check the new stuff!

2019-02-16, 16:07:42
Reply #4

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
  • Let's move this topic, shall we?
    • View Profile
    • My Models
Yup, those bots are becoming more sophisticated by each day. Kinda scarry...
I'm not Corona Team member. Everything i say, is my personal opinion only.
My Models | My Videos | My Pictures