Author Topic: VR  (Read 2815 times)

2018-08-20, 12:59:49

dj_buckley

• Active Users
    • View Profile
VR
So I've just been asked to do my first VR Project.  It's a simple setup.  2 different spaces, and the client wants to be able to view the 360's through the Samsung Gear VR with the ability to click through to each space to change the 360.

I just wondered what people are using and what workflow to get from Corona scene to the resulting 360 viewed on the headset.

I've just been looking at TheViewer and it seems a little pricey considering I only have to do these 2 spaces, and I have no idea if I'll ever be asked to do VR again.  So a monthly sub or annual fee seems a bit far fetched for me.

Has anybody used anything else simply to convert their Corona renders to 360 tour viewable through the Gear VR?

2018-08-20, 13:08:02
Reply #1

PROH

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hi. Check out krpano - krpano.com

IIRC it's way cheaper, and should do the job.

Hope it helps

2018-08-20, 14:31:40
Reply #2

dj_buckley

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Thanks Prob.  Just wonderingg what the benefits of something like The viewer are then and how I could use it to add value maybe

2018-08-20, 14:39:23
Reply #3

PROH

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I think the only benefit using the Viewer, is that you can set up the links between the spheres/spaces directly in Corona. Personally I think this is a very little extra to gain from an extraordinary high payload.

I haven't followed the Viewer for a while, so I might be wrong though.

2018-08-20, 15:25:22
Reply #4

Maros

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hi, theViewer is vr ready for GearVR and other headsets, krpano have no option for something like that.

If you have time use unity plugin, around 200€ and it is yours and can do whatever you want, forever with unlimited app. With no time go for theviewer, for me is also too expensive.

2018-08-20, 15:28:28
Reply #5

dj_buckley

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hi, theViewer is vr ready for GearVR and other headsets, krpano have no option for something like that.

If you have time use unity plugin, around 200€ and it is yours and can do whatever you want, forever with unlimited app. With no time go for theviewer, for me is also too expensive.

So with KRPano, I can't convert my Corona 360's to a format ready to view on the GearVR with a hotspot link between the two?

2018-08-20, 15:35:29
Reply #6

PROH

• Active Users
    • View Profile
According to their website, they do support GearVR, and I'm pretty sure I've tried it with Oculus Rift more than a year ago. Can't say what Maros means with "VR ready"?

2018-08-20, 16:07:48
Reply #7

Maros

• Active Users
    • View Profile
We had this situation while ago and yes there is support for Oculus Rift (some post from 2015?) but can't make it working. Also the key is quality and I had to say theViewer have really good quality-maybe best. We was able to get this quality only with unity app. Hope we are talking about stereoscopic 360 :), only with stereoscopic you can get full immersive experience.

And for client is still better navigate through icon on his mobile than from some browser or link.

I tried search again for krpano and gearvr solution but can't find something usefull.

2018-08-20, 16:10:43
Reply #8

dj_buckley

• Active Users
    • View Profile
That's the other thing, ideally I need to be able to view the tour offline as I'm not sure whether there will be a working internet connection.

I will be providing the phone/headset and it's to be shown at an open day for a new apartment.

I think I was hoping I'd be able to create the tour/hotspot, then save a file to the phone which I can just load using a 'viewer app' on the day.

And yes I'm talking about Stereo 360's.
« Last Edit: 2018-08-20, 16:15:13 by dj_buckley »

2018-08-20, 16:22:03
Reply #9

Maros

• Active Users
    • View Profile
With unity app there is no problem, u can use their logo on app, their logo on loading screen or whatever you want. Also theviewer is offline nad created in unity.

TheViewer is fast solution when client will pay for it :)

2018-08-20, 16:50:37
Reply #10

dj_buckley

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I'm now thinking whether the hotspot element is even worthwhile for what I want.

I could probably just get away with using the default Oculus 360 Photos app and changing between the scenes just by using the headset and clicking 'next'.

If I was doing a full apartment then yeh, maybe hotspots would look more professional

2018-08-21, 17:51:05
Reply #11

Piotr theViewer

• Users
    • View Profile
Hi there!

Dj_buckley, from what you described, using Oculus 360 Photos for making two separate 360 scenes (and showing them one after the other) should be enough for you.

However, if you are aiming for more complex VR Tours in the future I can guarantee that having super smooth transitions between the scenes will be crucial for you - and that's precisely where theViewer rocks, seriously! :)

Maros, many thanks for your insights! On top of what you said, theViewer supports not only GearVR, but practically all platforms - so you don’t have to worry about it being compatible with whatever headset you own.

We are also quite proud of our image quality. In the upcoming release, we will be able to load 16384x16384px cubestrips on iOS. Our app will be cutting cubes into faces and loading them as separate textures allowing us to bypass the 4k max texture size limit on iOS.

So stay tuned guys!
Cheers
Piotr from theViewer.co