Author Topic: Any market for HQ, (RAW) photoscanned models? *Image heavy OP* :)  (Read 1688 times)

2018-07-18, 19:18:04

vkiuru

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Let's get the "raw" part out of the way. No it doesn't refer to any kind of *raw* material you could make a funny pun of :)

What I mean by raw is, I'm not a ZBrush owner/user. I've had use for all kind of detailed foreground models but never enough time or need to actually go through the props and clean them up to nice quads and unwraps. If I've needed to do de-lighting on a model I've done some postwork in Photoshop. The scans have been effective where I've needed them - detailed and easy to use in order to mask/cover up large monotonous areas near the camera or just plain offer higly detailed tree trunks for fir trees, pines, birch etc species we have in the northern Europe and have them react to lighting.

I've used a Nikon D800 (to be fair about 5% of the scans are done with an earlier Nikon D700 I had) to capture all sorts of elements like corners of buildings, streetside curbs and of course the tree trunks that are propably the most photo-scanned element along with rocks :)  The 36,3 megapixels combined with a high quality 35mm Sigma lens have led to results that I've been satisfied with. I know there are dozens of sites offering all sorts of scans nowadays but I've still been wondering if sorting models according to category would get any traction? My workstation isn't limited by RAM so I have no problem with the 5-15 million polygon models and 8-16k px textures (and if I do it's not that hard to optimize them anyway), and I know some people rather prefer the heavy unprocessed scans so they have full control in ZBrush or what ever their program of choice might be. But I know many people buy models for the efficiency so in the end, if the models themselves would be of interest if they were better optimized and the topology was cleaned up I guess given enough interest I might try and find a way to do that with some low cost alternative for processing. I'm a bit skeptical about it, I'd really need to sacrifice a great deal of time in order to get optimized and low poly models available.

So with this in mind, would really high poly models like these - gathered to packs according to category or sold as separate pieces - gain any interest? I wouldn't want to stomp the prices or anything but if sold as they are the price couldn't be too high, being unoptimized and all. At the same time it wouldn't be worth while selling models that have taken time and money to process, and get a total of ~10-20 purchases for a pack of, say, 5 models with 20€ each. So - I'd appreciate your thoughts a great deal.

At the moment while not necessary on a "vacation" I've toned down my daily schedule significantly because I was overburdened for way too many years for reasons that weren't always up to me. Because of this I'm interested in any sort of income, even though I'm already back doing archviz things like I loved doing them, feeling way better than I was some three to five months ago. So regarding present and future scans.. I'm not at all sure if I'm making any more for personal use since I don't need anything particular at the moment and the licence fees are high (and gone up), if there'd be enough commercial interest I'd be happy to gather up more assets based on requests. I know tree trunks and rocks aren't in huge demand but I got to start with / make a preview out of something :)

So if you've interested, please scroll down for some screenshots! :) Some are in more detail or clay version to give a general feel and then just a bunch of random items :) If nothing else, I'd be happy to hear and any feedback or ideas! Like, should I keep on doing this or is there enough instances offering stuff out there? Would you buy scanned high res stuff that you yourself would further improve and optimize or is it exactly the kind of thing you want to pay for to save time? Don't get me wrong, I know this would be the majority of potential customer base but it's a relevant question still.

Anyway.

These are kind of the same but worked real well as foreground elements, camera set near ground:

Some street / concrete stuff:

Got a few models of this type. Not very aestethical so I really don't know why.

Pavements :)

More suff!

... tried scanning equipment from local parks but the metal parts are a pain and I can't exactly paint them without getting fined, so I've settled with for instance sandbox type of things. Color/saturation is a bit over the place but it's mostly due a quick lightening in PS and the original photos are in .NEF/RAW format: